main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Air cover for ground battles (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Black_Hole, May 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2001
    When the vong attack on the ground they never have enough air cover for their invasions. When our heros attacked Borleias, the Vong had very little air cover. They relied on the big fire spitters and other ground units to attack from the ground. Do you think airspeeders or heavy airbased bombers would help eliminate most of the ground forces?

2. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Well I knew this day would come, everybody smaking heads together to find dicisions on how to beat the Vong 8-}

The problem is airspeeders are slow and would get shot down by ground-to air plasma cannons.

3. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    If only they had B-52s in Star Wars - technology is great, but few things are more devastating than 50,000 pounds of HE and shrapnel being unloaded on ground troops. Maybe Emperor's Hammer had that beat.

4. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    K-wings!

5. very-superior

very-superior Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2002
    The problem is airspeeders are slow and would get shot down by ground-to air plasma cannons.

Has that happened? No. So let the thread continue. Attack from above has wiped out one ground invasion force. How come none of the ships in the battle for Borleias where destroyed by plasma cannons?

6. Azzgunther

Azzgunther Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    the vong are just too cocky to properly cover their ground forces...though...i don't know why. seems that since the new republic likes having their a$$es handed to them on a platter so often that the vong could accomodate them by covering their troops better from above. it's a good question, but there are a good deal of tactics that don't make sense in this series, so add this to the list.

7. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Has that happened? No. So let the thread continue. Attack from above has wiped out one ground invasion force. How come none of the ships in the battle for Borleias where destroyed by plasma cannons?

Let the thread continue? Would you stop doing that, Im not saying anything like "This is stupid close it now", I mearly saying I dont think it would help.

8. Azzgunther

Mar 7, 2002
    i think it's your icon chissdude...it sorta implies that you'll be ripping the beating heart from the thread and put it on a kabob stick while laughing hysterically and wearing woman's underwear....so we can understand very-superior's concerns. right? right? someone?

9. Azael

Azael Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2002
    Now that's a disturbing image you put in my head... :eek:

10. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    It's a common thing throughout not just the NJO, but also in the movies as well, Black_Hole.
    I've always wondered why didn't the Imps use some Ties to fly around and under the protective shield at the battle of Hoth, and strafe the shield generator before the walkers ever got there. Then when the walkers did join in the Tie's coulda been used to eliminate the annoying rebel speeders.
    Also why didn't the Trade federation use their fighters to strafe the Gungans in TPM heck they didn't even use Stapps.
    AotC is the only SW movie that I've seen them use air cover in a ground battle.

11. Azzgunther

Mar 7, 2002
    yeah, they really do need to start working that aspect into the battles on the ground. it would be so cool to watch a night battle with the flashes of a space battle raging in space, the more prominent explosions and bass booms of fighters battling just overhead, and then flashing ground battle. i hope they finish the clone wars like that.

12. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    B-52s? Come on. The B-52 fleet is ancient by modern standards. Fighters such as the Tomcat and Eagle are old by the same standards, but the B-52 design dates back two decades before either of these two first flew (actually, exactly two decades before the first flight of an F-15, which first flew in '72, and a little under two decades for an F-14, which first flew in '70). The youngest model of the B-52, the B-52H first flew some time in the early 60's. While modifications and changes may be made to these aircraft, the fleet should have been retired long ago.

Carpet bombing may be effective, but then, so is an orbital bombardment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.