main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC Air & Scare, National Air & Space Museum, Chantilly, 10/28/06

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Midi-ChlorianLori, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Midi-ChlorianLori

Midi-ChlorianLori Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2003
    Garrison Tyranus has been invited to participate in "Air & Scare" at the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Va on October 28th from 4-8 PM. We'd like to invite any Galactic Senate members with movie-quality costumes to join us for the event. If you'd like to attend the event as a member of the public, the post below gives information on how to make reservations.

Air & Scare is a free, family-oriented educational Halloween event that highlights many of the strange or spooky stories regarding the air- and spacecraft in their collection.

Here is information on the event from a fact sheet that they sent me:

"The Smithsonian?s National Air and Space Museum will present Air & Scare at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center. The event will showcase the Center?s magnificent collection of aircraft and spacecraft interpreted through a fun Halloween theme. Presented free of charge, the program is designed for youngsters and their families.

Details
    Air & Scare will take place on Saturday, October 28 from 4 until 8 pm.
    This event is made possible through the generous support of Masterfoods USA. Businesses and organizations from the Northern Virginia community are also participating in the event.

Activities
    The Museum?s historic collection of aviation and space artifacts will take on a ghostly glow for the evening. Participants will follow a path through the ?spooktacular? center, stopping at famous artifacts like the SR-71 Blackbird to hear mysterious ?fact or fiction? tales. Did a Voodoo Priest really fly in the Stratoliner? Is there really a Volkswagen on the mother ship model from Close Encounters of the Third Kind?

Along the way, you will be entertained by educational activities with an eerie edge. How do the four forces of flight?Lift, Weight, Drag and Thrust?apply to rats in space and a witch flying on a . . . rocket? Little ones will make Ghost Wind-socks to take home and hear the story of two spider sisters who sneak aboard the Space Shuttle to spin a web in space. Later, you can view the real Space Shuttle Enterprise and Anita, the spider who flew on Skylab.

A Robot Band will perform throughout the event, and the Chantilly and Herndon Robotics teams will teach you how to operate robots in the Mars Yard. There will be special showings of the animated film, A Grand Day Out with Wallace and Gromit, in which inventor Wallace and his trusty dog Gromit build a spaceship to carry them to the Moon in a search for green cheese to spread on their biscuits.

Treats and Prizes
    Snacks and souvenir items will be provided by Air & Scare Treat Sponsors, businesses and other organizations participating in the event.

More Information
    Air & Scare is presented as a free community event by the Smithsonian?s National Air and Space Museum. Although the event is free to the community, reservations are recommended and may be made online. The Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center is located in Chantilly, Va., off Route 28."

We have the potential to do three Star Wars events in a day. The Annandale Fall Festival Parade is in the morning from 10-12. We have lunch, then the museum in Chantilly is about a 20 minute drive away for the event from 4-8 PM. Finally, for those who aren't completely exhausted yet, there is a Halloween party hosted by Marc Patton of Garrison Tyranus located in Fredericksburg, VA for anyone who would like to attend.

Anyone up for a triple play?

By the way, did you notice the robot band and the Robotics teams?

And just imagine photos of a mass of Stormtroopers and Jedi Knights by the Space Shuttle...

I hope you can join us!

2. Darth_Minx

Darth_Minx Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2003
    Hey, do you think they'd accept Storm Janitors since we're canon now?

This does sound like fun. I'm interested. Just beware. They claim it's free, but the parking is most definitely not. I'd recommend carpools to cut down on parking fees. And if anybody bought the season parking pass, that'd be awfully helpful right now ;)

3. Midi-ChlorianLori

Sep 30, 2003
    Storm Janitors will unfortunately be out for this one, since it would be a formal event. Jedi costume or other formal Star Wars costumes are in, however, for those who have them. If you want to attend as a member of the public, you can make reservations on the museum's website- they say reservations are recommended.

4. AirandSpaceGuy

AirandSpaceGuy Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2006
    Hello all -
    I'm actually a staffer at the National Air and Space Museum and am working on the Air & Scare event. Believe me, I wish we didn't have to normally charge for parking but one really great part of the Air & Scare event is that it runs until 8 pm and parking is free after 4 pm.

For anyone that's held off visiting because of the parking costs, this is a great opportunity to visit for free and take part in a great kids event.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to let me know either via this board, or email me at marcusm@si.edu.

Thanks
    Mike

5. Midi-ChlorianLori

Sep 30, 2003
    Here are the answers to a few questions that have come up, straight from my contact at the Smithsonian:

$12 Parking Fee:

Quote:
    I can definitely arrange for the parking to be waived. The parking company usually asks for a detailed list of who is coming, but I?m going to work with them so we don?t have to worry about that. I will send you information on the parking next week.

Blasters:

Quote:
    The blasters and lightsabers are not a problem ? I think they add to the costumes. Security is going to be well aware of what?s going on that evening, and I will be there all day if there are any problems.

Are Helmets Required at All Times?

Quote:
    I think the more interaction you guys have with the public, the better. I want your guys to be more than just fancy props ? I think it would be great if they talked with the public. They can wear or remove their helmets as they see fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.