main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Airwaves, Streams, Fibers & Cords: General TV Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 10, 2012.

1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Happening made back its budget, and The Last Airbender made a little over 100 million domestically. They were viciously torn apart by critics (although I think Ebert liked The Happening) and are hated among the fans.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I thought about creating a new thread for this, but the all-purpose TV thread is too useful to lie forgotten in the bowels of this forum.

Altered Carbon

Based on the books by Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon is a Cyberpunk thriller in ten parts starting on Netflix on February 02, 2018.

Joel Kinnaman is playing Takeshi Kovacs (or at least one of his sleeves - Will Yun Lee and Byron Mann are in the mix somewhere, too).

I've read the first book and thought it was pretty good - some decent world-building and a mystery, plus some augmented martial arts action.

teaser trailer 1 (warning:brief nudity):

More on their Twitter feed:
    https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/938472482754793472

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/938873994186543104

Edit: perhaps a mod could change the title of this thread to edit out the "film" part, as we have at least one other general film thread?

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the At the Movies thread kinda took over the film part that was intended for this film, but repurposing this for TV specifically seems OK to me.

6. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Another Altered Carbon trailer, this time focussing on James Purefoy's character:

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  7. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    More Altered Carbon:

Upcoming BBC pre-apocalyptic thriller Hard Sun:

Not convinced by Hard Sun, but Altered Carbon continues to look good to me.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I saw a headline in my social media feed that NBC is bringing back The Office for 2018, but no Michael Scott. I don't know which will be returning and which won't be returning. I thought the series fairly well, in comparison to other long running series finales and therefore I'm not looking forward to The Office returning. However, I'll probably check out the first episode or two, much like I did with Will and Grace.

9. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Stargate: Origins:

Well, so they've seen Raiders of the Lost Ark.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    They already kind of ran that experiment, since the show continued on for one season after Michael left. It wasn't terrible, but it definitely wasn't as good, and I kind of thought they reached that conclusion when it got cancelled then. It's not like the show ended on a high note when his character left.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And they seem to have reverted to the movie chevrons, which further suggests this is not part of the SG-1 continuity, as is Catherine (or anybody else) seemingly going through the gate.

Juliet316 and soitscometothis like this.
  12. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Shane Black is writing a pilot for a rebooted version of 60's British spy show "The Avengers":
    As I love the original show, the pre-reboot Doctor Who, and count The Ipcress File as one of my favourite movies, I am intrigued... but wary. The Avengers was always a difficult balancing act to pull of successfully, and infamously spawned a movie version which bombed twenty years ago, and though I love many of Black's films I'm not sure if he's the man for the job. On the other hand, The Avengers is all about chemistry between the two contrasting leads, and Black does that very well - Lethal Weapon, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, The Nice Guys, they all had that in spades, so maybe it just might be worth watching.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I watched FX's American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace and thought it played out like the Talented Mr. Ripley movie. It was difficult to make out what Penelope Cruz was saying in her performance as Donatella Versace.

I barely remember this event occurring, so watching this series will be like watching some of the "factual" elements for the first time.

14. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
  15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Murphy Brown is the latest 80s/90s series to be revived.

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    So, I watched the second episode of FX's American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace and boy, did this show lose steam so quickly. It feels like it's on a trend mill.

My favorite new sitcom is American Housewife, I just like motley crew of characters.

Over the summer, I enjoyed the short live Downward Dog, where the prospective and issues of the dog was mirrored in the dog's owner. It was also a sweet show as the relationship between the dog and the owner was a big focus of the show.

17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I'm trying, I'm giving my best. Three episodes in, and I'm struggling to get through this show. I'm not enjoying (possibly relating) to the main character. He's just amazing at everything and doesn't fear anything including death.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    And your jealousy of me rears it's ugly head again.

Darth Punk likes this.
  19. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    This was what I wrote yesterday in the "What was the last tv episode you watched?" thread:
    The book was better. They've drained much of the humanity out of the characters, and changed backstories and motivations, and it's turned the whole thing into a cartoon.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Darth Punk likes this.
  20. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    funny that we both pause at episode three. to be fair, i've got nothing else tee'd up, so i'm prolly going to grind through. shame though, because I always get a kick out of james purefoy.

have you seen end of the ******* world? netflix have been hawking it hard to me lately.

21. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Yes, and that's really good. Don't let the fact that @Rylo Ken recommended it put you off, he gets things right occasionally simply by the law of averages.

I liked German sci-fi drama Dark, too, though I have the horrible suspicion they don't know where they're going from the end of season 1 (they don't wrap things up so much as beg for another season, but I enjoyed it all the same).

Darth Punk and Rylo Ken like this.
  22. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Dark was pretty good, but End of the ****ing World is borderline masterpiece.

I watched "The Cloverfield Paradox" last night on Netflix where it landed after being pulled from its scheduled February theatrical release, and for good cause. It makes "Bright" look like real entertainment.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  23. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    with a title like that, i bet it had you at hello?

soitscometothis and Rylo Ken like this.
  24. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I knew going in that the title was false advertising, but I always appreciate the sentiment.

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The End of the ****ing World is very good.

If you want a decent, but lighter sci-fi offering, and you haven't watched it yet, try Travellers on Netflix. I dare you not to love David.

tom and soitscometothis like this.