main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Al Pacino as Han Solo

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jedi-ragatso, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi-ragatso

jedi-ragatso Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2004
    I just read the recent Empire magazine where there's a feature on Mr. Pacino. It seems that George Lucas wanted him to play Han but Al turned it down. They had grown a relationship from the Godfather days where Lucas and his wife at the time were involved. I think Harrison Ford was the perfect casting for Han, but can you imagiine Pacino playing the part. Please no mobster or Scarface quotes, though I guess it would be funny, but seruiiously, do yoiu think acting wise Mr. Method could be convincing as Solo? He would of definately made the part mor intense. Plus he would of been the only Italian in the saga(don't count Sofia Coppola) your thoughts please.

2. sweetcaroline

sweetcaroline Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2004
    No, I think Harrison Ford was a perfect casting choice as Han Solo. I can't see anyone else in that part. Of course this is what I always grew up as seeing as Han Solo but still.
    I did a double take when I saw this threads subject header. :)

3. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I think it would have been an interesting take on Han, but I can't really imagine him having the same charm that Harrison Ford gave to the character; I say that even though Al Pacino is unsurpassed as an actor with the ability range as wide as he has. It just doesn't feel...quite right.

4. LukeSkywalker-Jedi

LukeSkywalker-Jedi Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2004
    Personally I think mister overactor would have ruined the Han character. Harrison Ford is the only one who could have pulled off Han Solo period.

5. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Al Pacino as Han Solo: "It's not personal, Jabba. It's stricly business."

or

"Right when I thought I was out of the smuggling business, it pulls me BACK in."

EDIT: Please no mobster or Scarface quotes

Hmm- I guess I should've read the entire post. :p

6. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Sure! I would've loved to see it! I'm always open to seeing other people take on roles. Not that I think anyone could replace Ford, but it's neat when others take on the role.
    Like the radio dramas :)

7. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I think Pacino would've been miscast. Pacino, in 1977, was too cerebral and subtle for that role.

8. MILK-HANDS

MILK-HANDS Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    Can you imagine Pacino's Solo with Princess Leia?

Ehhhh.

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I can't really see him taking on the role. Then again, I can't really see anyone else taking on the role of Han except Harrison. ;)

10. jedi-ragatso

Aug 29, 2004
    I kind of wished to get more people's view's on this. But I think Ford was the best, however I just wanted to gaze into another way. I'm guessing Pacino would interpret the part similiaar to a galactic street hustler type, with a Serpico or dog day afternoon style of voice.

Imagine these lines with Pacino doing them in the 70's.
    (pacino in shaggy long hair, long side burns, and a goatea, with the vest of course.

"you never heard of the millinium falcon?"

"you like me cause I'm a scoundrel, ther's not enough scoundrels in your life."

"hey I understand, when Luke comes back, I won't get in the way."

extc., extc., extc.,.....

11. Deimos_Skywalker

Deimos_Skywalker Jedi Master star 1

Nov 14, 2002
    Weren't Pacino and Carrie Fisher an item at one point or have I been buying too many deathsticks again?

12. Shiro

Shiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2004
    Huh? This is news to me^^

"or have I been buying too many deathsticks again?"

I think you've had enough... *swipes away Deimos' deathsticks* [face_shame_on_you]

13. Lucius

Lucius Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2004
    A princess and a guy like me? HOO-HAH!

And you can't anything because it's "Scent of a Woman", not a gangster movie. Gotcha.

14. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    this makes sense. coppola and lucas shared most of their main actors.

15. Lucius

Sep 2, 2004
    I'd like everyone to know that I meant to put "do" in the post above, but "Edit Post" had already expired by the time I realized my mistake. Grammatical errors are not acceptable! 1000 lashes!

16. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    Pacino would have been great. The level of craftsmanship Pacino has for delivering a role is unmatched. Very few actors can reach his level. I think he would have been TOO good for the films. The films are intended to be "Popcorn" films and the acting is designed to be meladramatic.

If you've seen Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico or And Justice for All, you will see that Pacino could have easily nailed the role.

Ofcourse Ford is great as Han and since he's the "Han" we all know and love, no one could ever replace him.

It would be cool to see Pacino in a small role in revenge of the Sith. His voice would be great as a droid.

17. jedi-ragatso

Aug 29, 2004
    Well yeah, I don't really care if you guys put in qoutes from movies, I was just thinking that the whole thread was gonna be filled with godfather or scarface quotes and no one would take it seriously, any ways ford will always be solo but I was so fascinated by what I read in empire, that i had to share it with others and let everyone else see it. my good friend told me that pacino was huge cause of the godfather, if he would of done star wars and the godfather he would of been in 2 of the most pop cultuired movies ever, and he would of become only bigger if not the biggest

18. Lucius

Sep 2, 2004
    You have to consider that if the role of Han Solo were not filled by Harrison Ford, the movie might not have become what it has. Beyond all the Jedi righteousness, a convincing rogue like Solo was necessary for the audience to buy the Star Wars universe. The non-Jedi aspects of the Star Wars universe can prove to be the most interesting, besides, we need something to fill the space between lightsabre appearances, otherwise we'd become desensitized to the heroic awe they are designed to inspire. If the intro to ROTJ were replaced with a battle scene filled with thousands of lightsabres flying around, would Luke's sudden Jedi acrobatics be so memorable? Would we all have thought, uh oh, here comes a Jedi? No, because the rarity of moments of Jedi heroism in the movies makes duels and igniting lightsabres all the more exciting. Han was necessary. Han was memorable. Thus, a lackluster performance by Pacino would have sunk the entire movie. Can you honesty see Pacino talking to Hamill? Honestly? Harrison Ford was an INTEGRAL part of these films. Accept it. Who can replace the scene where Harrison and Chewie are running down the corridors of the Death Star, screaming while they chase Stormtroopers, and suddenly come across an the entire squad in the docking bay, turn 180 degrees, and run back the other way screaming? No one. Harrison Ford is, was, and will always be Han Solo. Now that I think of it, don't even suggest the possibility of Pacino playing the role. It literally is impossible.

19. jedi-ragatso

Aug 29, 2004
    DamonD edit : What jedi-ragatso meant is - "I heartily disagree" :p

20. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    Whoa, calm down man. I don't think he was attacking you. And you might wanna edit that before a Mod takes away your privilege of posting in this message board for a while. Or ever again.

21. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    haha jedi rag that was the funniest reply i've seen. sucks that you'll be banned.

but yeah i think pacino would of done great as solo.. ppl just say harrison is the best because they've seen harrison be solo. they grew up with harrison as solo, but if it was pacino who was cast in 77 then someone says "you think harrison ford would be a good solo" ppl would laugh at you.

22. jedi-ragatso

Aug 29, 2004
    okay , i'm new to the forum, i didn't realize that it wasn;t free speech in here, i apologize to the mod's and will refrain from using that language here on the forums again, my deepest apologies to the forum

23. Lucius

Sep 2, 2004
    Straight from the man's mouth. This is why Ford was necessary as Solo, as much as anything.

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/Late_Night_with_Conan_O'Brien/celebritysecrets/images/ford.jpg

FORD SECRETS

"It's not easy being a celebrity. Once this little kid, this cute little kid asked me for an autograph. I gave it to him. He said, 'Thanks Mr. Hanks!' I took it away from him, tore it up, and told him Tom Hanks was dead."

"In the movie Witness, I played a policeman who went undercover and pretended to be Amish. I could never be Amish. For one thing they're never allowed to touch themselves down there."

"One day I called George Lucas up at three o'clock in the morning and I pretended to be Mark Hamill. He said, 'Harrison?' I said 'No, it's me Mark Hamill.' He said, 'Harrison, I know it's you.' I said, 'Well then you know wrong because it's Mark Hamill.' He sighed and said, 'okay Mark what do you want?' I really got him."

"In 1982 I played a character in Blade Runner that hunts down and kills bloodthirsty humanoid life forms known as replicants. I want to say we were ahead of our time-it was four years before anybody had ever heard of Jerry Springer."

"People ask me if I'm as nice as I am in the movies. I say hey, 'what if life is a movie?' While they're thinking about that I yell 'cut' and then I run away."

"Onscreen R2D2 was so likable. Offscreen, total ass****"

"A movie star can make one stupid little mistake and his whole career is over. Like doing a lame comedy bit on some stupid TV show. Oh my God- what have I done?"

24. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    [face_laugh]

When did he do this "stupid" comedy bit?

25. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    hahah i believe the comedy bit was from Late night with conan. Its a part they do with A-Stars revealing their deepest secrets. I remember seeing Picard on that too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.