main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Alas, poor Tahiri

Discussion in 'Literature' started by J_K_DART, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Listen to this bit of dialogue from FH3, inside Tahiri's mind:

Tahiri: My guilt calls out to me.
    Riina: You have nothing to feel guilty for!
    Tahiri: My love is dead, and I am alive. And I carry with me the kiss he wanted me to share with him. I told him to collect it later, but there was no later. Was there?
    Riina: Do you think that's what you're accused of? They are not the words of your guilt, Tahiri; those are your own words!
    Tahiri: How do you know what I'm feeling?
    Riina: How do I know? Haven't you been listening to what I've been saying? We are one and the same mind! You've been punishing yourself, punishing us. And it has nothing to do with Anakin's death or holding back on a kiss.
    Tahiri: Then what is it?
    Riina: You feel guilt for having gotten on with your life. It's not that you are alive; it's that you've learned to live without Anakin. It's that you have healed, and you don't think you should have by now. You have to let go, Tahiri. There is no shame in that. The time has come to stop grieving. You have already stopped; you just don't know it yet. That's all.

What a contrast with Inferno...

2. GoA

GoA Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2007
    Too bad idiot Tahiri didn't listen to her Vong personality more often.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Accepting her Vong personality is the equivalent of coming to an accord with Demonic Possession.

4. GoA

GoA Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2007
    And the alternative is turning into the worst traits of Paris Hilton, Nancy Kerrigan, and Rainman put together.

5. Cynical

Cynical Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 5, 2004
    Blatant character inconsistency? I'm shocked!

6. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    I have to agree with you on one hand.

but i've watched enough shows where the hero taps into his or her"inner darkness" for power.

Angel from Buffy
    Naruto from Naruto
    Ichigo from Bleach

in that sense, i can see where TahRiini would work as a heroic character in the context of Vergere's view of the Force.

interesting how now she's being rewritten as a potential villain now.

I hate to say it but i'm thinking she's going to be Caedus's apprentice, or worse, his fabricated "pet"

perhaps Anakin's vision of a Vongified Tahiri hasn't been averted. Just postponed.

i feel kinda sick now. Poor Tahiri.

I'm still kinda hoping that maybe somehow this flow walking deal with help straighten her out before she goes too far - maybe Anakin can have a last talk to her before he dies, she can get closure, and move on with her life.

how much younger is Valin Horn?

7. JaySkywalker01

JaySkywalker01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2005
    I felt like Tahiri had some closure when she went off on Zonoma Sekot at the end of the NJO. I thought of that as her chance to establish herself as an individual and learn more about who she is. Instead, years and years later, we get her, again, lamenting over Anakin's death as if the wounds were still fresh. A bit hard to swallow.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

9. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    1-1.5 years, I believe. The difference is trivial; they're both in their late 20s.

10. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Hang on just a damn minute!!!!!

When was the last time we actually saw Tahiri's own POV? o_O

Yes, I'll concede it's entirely possible that she's intended in LotF as a satire on stubborn "How Anakin could fix this mess" fans...

... but let's look at that premise for a moment.

If there's something that you think HAS to be done to fix the situation, for the Galaxy and not just for you... wouldn't you do what you could to achieve it?

Denning is certainly a good enough writer to add in subtle layers of meaning. With Tahiri, I think we might see: (a.) serious irony in Jacen's self-centred reading of her actions, and (b.) a possible parallel between her and Ben Skywalker, who is CERTAINLY manipulating Jacen with the intention of betraying him and taking him down.

As to motives, Tahiri's feelings - like Alema's - can't be disconnected from the failure that Luke has made of leading the Jedi and defending peace and justice in the Galaxy.

We need something else. Preferably surnamed Solo. :p

But Fel will do, at a push. ;)

- The Imperial Ewok

11. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Hmm?
    Ta-who?

12. Trepidation

Trepidation Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 3, 2005
    I don't think Tahiri can move forward with her life until she, actually, complies with Luke Skywalker's task given to her in "Unifying Force." She still hasn't gone looking for the Widowmaker and her crew of Arien Yage, Stalgis, and Tarl. :p What is it now...well over a decade since they were blown out of orbit by Zonama Sekot?

They're gonna be pissed. :oops: Tahiri's a slacker.[face_laugh]

13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I've never understood the "We didn't see it happen, so it could never have occurred in the five years we didn't see" mindset.

14. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Hey, let's not go too hard on Ben's future wife.

Yes, she's stupid right now. Yes, she's very immature for her age. Yes, she needs to get a life. Yes, she looks disturbing with a white beard. But she's still Tahiri and hopefully she lives to have a better life and to marry Ben.

15. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    They have an age difference of 15 years and Tahiri will be probably soon dead anyway.

16. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    I think Luke should put her out of the order. She doesn't serve the force and isn't a good Jedi. She is a dark rogue: crazy, and demented. She's worthless.

17. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    No, she's not worthless. She just has problems that she hasn't been able to overcome. She shouldn't be thrown out, but helped. Although it's probably too late now, after they basically gifted her to Jacen instead of imprisoning her in Inferno.

18. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Yeah. Luke's got a habit of looking at screwed up kids who lost everything in a war, realising it's not a matter of if, but when they'll fall, and then...walking away and leaving them too it.

Poor Alema. At least Tahiri got a bit more attention than she did after Luke's revelation about her future while she was hanging in a bacta tank which he proceeded to do absolutely nothing about.

19. Trepidation

Trepidation Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 3, 2005
    I never understood those without the slightest modicum of a sense of humor. (pay special attention to the little emoticon...:p ...there...did you see it?)

:rolleyes: (How about that one???)

20. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    Um....so? When Ben is 20, she would be 35. No big problem there.

21. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    20 year old man might well be happily married to a 35 year old woman, but would 35 year old man be happily married to a 50 year old woman? Or 45 year old to a 60 year old woman? In real world, it would be a likely divorce, in SW it would meant killing Tahiri off when she would become supposedly "too old" for Ben. She might well be too old already in the eyes of editors and authors.

Ben's future wife - or at least mother of his child(ren) - has probably not yet been introduced. I doubt it will be Seha Dorvald either. And bringing up Jysella Horn - for example - would be just tying every important family into each other and would anyway be too much pandering towards the Horn family fans.

22. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    If the 60 year old women look like Mara Jade then yeah, they would be happy.

23. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    Amen!

24. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    And that makes her a bad Jedi. She's had THIRTEEN YEARS to overcome the loss of her puppy love. If she can't do that, then she has no business being a Jedi. She makes Jaina look like the epitome of serene detachment.

Help was sending her to Dagobah, giving her a chance to get a grip. She failed.

25. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    So self-help is the best help, one has to meditate and think things through on her own and if that doesn't help, then that's it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.