main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta 2007!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by BrotherHalo, Aug 30, 2007.

1. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Hey guys!

Remember how we always wanted to try to do something at Balloon Fiesta? Well, this year is the year!

Through the 501st, we learned that a Star Wars special shape balloon was made, Darth Vader! The pilot and balloon are based in Belgium and he received quite a few invitations to come out for Balloon Fiesta.

Well, he accepted and will be coming out for his American debut flight this October! He, along with members of his Belgium 501st Garrison consulted with the makers of the Balloon to make sure it came out right, after he received permission from Lucasfilm. The pilot will be bringing his ballooning crew along with a couple of garrison mates in about a month's time.

This is where it gets exciting. I contacted the Balloon Fiesta organizers about the possibility of doing some sort of "work" for Balloon Fiesta and they were excited at the prospect.

First, yes, I did start working on this from a 501st perspective. But that doesn't mean it's limited to 501st. I am hoping to get as many people involved with this event as possible!

SLA and I have already spoken and I'm putting together a team of people to help work out on this awesome event. Since we not only do trooping for fun, but to hopefully benefit a charitable cause, that is in the works as well. I will have more information on that as soon as I have it.

Just imagine, Special Shapes Glowdeo. The Darth Vader balloon inflating. And all us Star Wars geeks surrounding the ballon, acting as zebras, guards, and just in general, having a good time. Not only do we get to see that, but we get to meet fellow Star Wars fans from Europe! Very cool!

Okay, this was just some information. More information will follow!

Clear up your calendars for October 6th-15th!

2. JaceMardu

JaceMardu Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 30, 2005
    Awesome news!!!! Let me know what I can do to help out!

3. bobasparxx

bobasparxx Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Damn, that's cool. What are the Balloon Fiesta dates and times?

4. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Balloon Fiesta runs October 6-15th. We would mostly be involved on the evenings of the Glowdeos, and possibly others if people are available...

5. JaceMardu

Sep 30, 2005
    I've had some serious inquiries on my clone armor but nothing concrete yet. So I just might have a TK ready by fiesta. At the least I'll have my at-ati or chewie then. I'm so down for this!

6. DarthFrank777

DarthFrank777 Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2006
    Bob, You can count Jackie and I in for this for sure, let us know what type of help you need and when you need it.

Frank

7. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    That's awesome, Frank! You know that we could use your Vader and Jackie's snowie!

8. LetoQuorme

LetoQuorme Mos Alba FF Chapter Rep star 4

Nov 11, 2001
    General, count me in.

9. BloodClaw

BloodClaw Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2001
    Anita and I are down to.

10. obi_dave_kenobi

obi_dave_kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    I may just make it out to this, but in civilian attire.
    I'm trying to get Redgek to let me be watch his back..wahh wahh chic a wahh wahh!!! [face_batting]

11. southwest_sithlord

southwest_sithlord Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2007
    Hey everyone, Old "redkraytdragon" here (don't ask, it's a loooong story with logging in) I now go under the name southwest_sithlord. Anyway, I'd love to troop with you guys now that I have my costume finished. Sundays are best for me. If you need a Fett, I'll be there

12. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Okay, more information, and if you are willing to help out, I need to know AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

We have an opportunity to help Make-A-Wish!

At Balloon Fiesta, all charitable proceeds go to Make-A-Wish. And the only way they raise funds is through program and calendar sales. If you've been to Fiesta, you know what I mean.

I finally made contact with someone at Make-A-Wish New Mexico yesterday and she has dates available for people wanting to help out with calendar and program sales. I thought that it would work out best for us to do it on the nights we would go to the Balloon Glow. Luckily, both nights are still open!

I'm going to get more details from her today, but I wanted to let you know the times:

Thursday, October 11th - 3:30pm to 9:00pm
    Friday, October 12th - 3:30pm to 9:00pm

Like I said, I want to get more info from her (can we do it in armor, etc). If you have questions you'd like me to pass along, please post them here or PM them to me.

I need to know if you'd like to volunteer ASAP. The MAW people need to know so that they can plug the holes in their schedule as soon as possible. There is a chance that all volunteers will get a free parking pass and (can't remember for sure) free admission into Fiesta.

Please let me know ASAP!

13. JaceMardu

Sep 30, 2005
    Sound like a lot of fun! I don't know if I can make it as early as 3:30 but could maybe do something from 6 to 9. Or maybe one whole day. I'll check my schedule at work.

So, I'm a definite maybe for now.

14. LetoQuorme

Nov 11, 2001
    I'd be down to do this, but time constraints are killing me. I'm definitely a no-go for Friday, as that's my mother's birthday, and Thursday there's no way I'd be able to be there as early as 3:30 cause I don't get out of work until 4.

15. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Yeah, the 3:30 is hard to do. From what it looks like, we may not be able to help with sales, but I can ask if they wouldn't mind us helping out the people doing the actual sales...

But if there's still interest, please let me know!

16. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Bad time as well for me. I wish I could help out more with this Fiesta....*grumbles* stupid work *grumbles*

If there's anything they need on weekends, I'm available. Crewing, shlepping calendars, crowd control or whatever.

17. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Okay, here's some more information:

Roster
    Meet & Greet, Albuquerque Sunport, 6:25PM
    Richard Silva (Stormie)
    Joseph Perez (Sandie)
    Frank Sandoval (Vader)
    Jackie Sandoval (Snowie)
    Bob Tyrrell (Biker)
    Wayne Sullivan (Stormie)
    Jeremy Gurule (Biker)
    Sean East (Special Ops)
    Marko Stoyanof (Stormie)
    Jen Gomez (Tuskie)
    Vivian Quintana (Tie)
    Chris Coryell (Stormie)
    Jenn Darnell (Stormie) ?
    James McEldowney (ATAT) ?
    Alyson Cupps (Tuskie) ?
    Brian Munkelwitz (Stormie)

They would like us to be there before 6:25, as that's when the Belgium people should be arriving. I don't know exact time yet, but as soon as I find out, I'll post here.

Weapons? I think we're going to ditch the weapons (except lightsabers) so we don't have to tangle with TSA.

I posted this on the Mountain Garrison forum, too. So if you haven't checked there, it's here. I'm also probably missing some info here that I posted over there. But I don't think so.

Please ask if you've got questions!

18. LetoQuorme

Nov 11, 2001
    That's on 10/4, right Bob?

19. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    The Meet and Greet? Yes, that is on October 4th!

20. obiwankenobi54

obiwankenobi54 Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2007
    Woaw it will be a spectacular meeting point for us ;)

I don't take my storm with me

See you soon!

Benoit
    Darth Vader Balloon's pilot

21. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    It's hard keeping this thread up to date in addition to what's posted on the MG forums.

There are 4 current days people would like to participate:

Thursday October 4th - Meet & Greet (evening)
    Saturday October 6th - Mass Ascension (morning)
    Thursday October 11th - Special Shapes Glowdeo (evening)
    Friday October 12th - Special Shapes Glowdeo (evening)

Please let me know if you'd like to troop any of these days!

22. JaceMardu

Sep 30, 2005
    I'm down for all of them. Even though I rarely see 4:00 am in any capacity but for this I will get my butt up early. I'm trying to finish my TK before Thursday so I can wear it to the meet and greet. Should be do-able. That way I get a good test fit in before mass ascension on Saturday.

23. JaceMardu

Sep 30, 2005
    Benoit,

I was thinking on the drive home today about the fiesta arrangements. I was wondering how we are going to get down onto the field in the mornings. The pilots have a seperate entrance for the crew and pilot but would we be parking in the regular visitor parking? Maybe that's a Bob question. Bob, do you know? It would be great if we could just ride in with them if they have room.

That made me think, what are they doing for a chase vehicle and transport of the balloon? Are you renting a truck?

I just so happen to have a Ford Expedition that can seat 8 and I have a 5x10 utility trailer that could easily carry the balloon and gondola. I'd have to pawn taking my kids to school off on grandma but that is possible. I don't go in to work until 11:00 am so I could help out with the morning crewing and chase. I keep my trailer in the garage so I could even provide locked storage for the balloon if you need or want it.

Let me know if I can help in that area.

James

24. obiwankenobi54

obiwankenobi54 Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2007
    Hi,

Thanks for your proposition.

We receipt a Ford F350 long bed like chase vehicle, so it is ok for us.

For entry, we receipt 5 tickets, I can give you one for all SW crews, you must organize a metting point to take everybody on your vehicle, is it possible?
    (best parking is south)

I will speak about this at airport with you so no problem to arrange all.

You help is welcome for chase, we don't know Albuquerque.

I hope having all understand and well translate ;)
    don't hesitate to send email ballonoblimp@skynet.be before 4th.

25. JaceMardu

Sep 30, 2005
    Sounds great! I'd be happy to be the shuttle for our crew. I can carry 3 with their gear or if I can take the trailer we can fit up to 8. I don't know how many are going on Saturday though. Post here if you are. I'll also ask over on the DRS forums.