main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

alcohol in JCC,

Discussion in 'Communications' started by beezel26, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Not to rain in on any one's parade but I assumed the rule of alcohol in the JC was only with the proviso of a sensible discussion about what type you like in different cultures. Why is a jc mod starting a thread about competitive drinking with an ex mod and then talking about being passed out on the couch. I thought comparing how much you could drink with other users was tatamount to encouraging alcohol for minors. Why are the mods not doing anything about Strilo's thread? Honestly, I don't drink and do not in any way like encouraging drinking. Hey if its the discussion of a certain type of local beer you like after a long day at work fine. But talking about who is outdrinking who and then telling the JC about who is passed out on the couch is encouraging reckless behaviour. I thought the mods were a little better then that.

2. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    Your speech reads to be a bit slurred. Are you drunk?

3. Ostrich_Stapler

Ostrich_Stapler Jedi Master star 5

Jul 9, 2004

Fixed.

At least somewhat.

4. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    No, that has never been the rule and would be way too narrow and bordering on bizarre if it were.

Because that's what they did and because the "passed out on the couch" thread is a meme that predates almost everyone posting on the JC these days.

What? How do minors figure in to this? Both Strilo and Dork are well above the legal drinking age.

There's nothing wrong with it.

Good for you?

What? Why "local" beer? Seriously, I'd like to know how "local" beer figures into this where national brands and imports don't.

No, it isn't.

Haha, based on what?

5. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Yeah, I don't think it is technically against the rules. I don't think it's directly promoting minors to drink. Also, it only says that posting while drunk is "discouraged". So, I don't think that it really can be locked on that account. Though, I do find it a bit unprofessional.

6. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Only as unprofessional as posting about tampons.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [image=http://l.yimg.com/img.tv.yahoo.com/tv/us/img/site/49/51/0000034951_20061021041733.jpg]

"Sobriety sucks."

8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

The rule on alcohol is that you cannot encourage minors to drink, and you cannot post while drunk and outright saying that you are drunk.

As far as being passed out on the couch, perhaps you are not aware of the routine of making the "so-and-so is passed out on my couch!" whenever one JCCer meets up with another. There are many of these threads, and they do not relate to being passed out drunk. It's tradition.

I was under the impression, after reading both of those threads, that they were joking. Yes they most likely went out and drank together and posted from the bar at the JCC. Most certainly. But the "I'm outdrinking so-and-so!" was a joke kept between two people, they did not encourage anyone else to enter their drinking games. Given that there was not a serious post declaring that they were both plastered and posting on the JCC, then there is really nothing wrong (their grammar and punctuation was flawless). If I happened to miss that post, then by all means you should share it.

Also, since this is a specific incident, you may want to contact a JCC mod via pm rather than making a comms thread. In fact, even a search could have given you a lot of results on the alcohol policy.

EDIT: I only just saw that "professional" bit. "Professional" is an adjective derived from the noun "profession", and since none of our moderators receive payment for this, then that is not their profession, therefore "professional" should not be applicable. Moderators are humans too, and therefore of course they take part in the consumption of alcohol. They should be able to talk about it just like any normal user can.

9. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    I know we like to play this game every three months to keep everyone on their toes, but that's not true.

jp-30 likes this.
  10. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I saw this movie called Revenge of the Sith once and it promoted animal cruelty, violence against women, the severing of limbs, burning of the flesh, murdering 5 year olds and encouraged the career of Hayden Christensen.

Hope nobody else saw that flick.

11. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Sounds like my kind of movie!:D Err, except the encouraging of Hadyen Christensen's career part..:p

12. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    This. While the rule about moderators not being able to moderate while drunk was over time twisted to become "you cannot post drunk or talk about being drunk", two years ago (around about) it was rather sensibly reigned back in to that you cannot create threads saying "Look how wasted I am" or actively trying to encourage minors to drink. The thread does neither and therefore is in no way a problem. Nor are the "X is passed out on my couch" threads as Dani is correct in saying that it predates pretty much everyone else posting in this thread and they aren't going to be banned any time soon.

Also, if we were applying the rule as you have stated it, the Tunick v Kendra thread would have also needed to be locked, but it won't be either.

13. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    So how is saying I have had three beers and finishing my fourth not posting while drunk or encouraging bad behaviour. Aren't mods held to a higher standard. And just because someone is under or over the age of drinking shouldn't make a difference. We don't a drink for drink commentary describing what we are drinking and where. We are a family board, not a over 21 board. And yes, Tunicks thread wasn't good either but at least he is a user. He can claim to not know the rules. He isn't a mod. I don't want to come onto the JCC and read titles about drinking competitions between users and mods and on the front page. Some of us don't like to drink because we have family members who are alcoholics or have had others injured or killed by drunk drivers. And yet here we have a mod giving us a blow by blow description about his night of drinking. One wonders if he drove home drunk or took a cab. I don't want drinking in my face on the JCC, If I wanted that I would have gone to my parents house and watch my dad drink himself into a stupor.

If he was posting about taking a bong hit and how many hits he has taken that night, how different would the reaction be?

You think others would have encouraged him.

14. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    The difference is that drugs are illegal whereas alcohol is not, and Strilo isn't underage.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Someone was nice enough to tell you what the TOS says above.

Drinking alcohol is not evil. Drinking and driving is bad. You are acting like someone talking about drinking on a message board is like drinking and driving.

No threads on alcohol just because you don't want to come here and see it? Maybe I don't want to see threads on anything? Shall we just shut down the boards?

16. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    There is no rule against posting while having had a couple of drinks. Period.

I have never touched a drop of alcohol in my life, but that does not mean I am going to get up in arms over the fact that other people have, nor that they wish to at the very least talk about it. There are things that I do not wish to read on the JCC like people pushing religion, or male members of the community that are at least over 30 going ga-ga over the photos of our younger members, or seeing page after page of where people are rating scantily clad persons. But they are not against the rules, and those posts are going to stay where they are. A thread on a topic does not equate to encouraging an action, or do you believe that Coruscant was encouraging people to steal things from cemetery graves?

As to if it was about marijuana, of course the action would be different. That is an illegal drug in the country that the board servers reside in, as well as over 80% of countries.

Edit: Spelling

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have 10 posts this evening, and 3 beers. Oh noes!

18. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    From the Rules Thread

Drugs and Alcohol

1. Promoting alcohol/tobacco use for minors is disallowed. Any posts deemed inappropriate regarding alcohol or drugs will be moderated appropriately. Posting while under the influence is also discouraged, as it can lead to inappropriate posting, which will be moderated appropriately as well.

While I understand, you maybe bothered by it. Drinking is not against the law and people are allowed to talk about it. I mean it would be like asking you to not post about Australia or something else that you love. As long as it within the rules of the community and the tos, then it is fine. Now if either member involved were a minor then there would be an issue. Next time I would suggest if you see something that you find a bit not to your liking to a.) pm a mod and ask them for a rules clarification or b.) Just don't click on it.

Like Dingo said there are things in the JCC that probably each one of us are like ugh, really. But we let it go and just don't follow that thread.

19. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000

Just because you've had 4 beers does not necessarily mean you're drunk. Some people hold their alcohol MUCH better than others and, depending on the beer as well, aren't necessarily going to be completely smashed.

20. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    As the others have said, the threads (that I've seen) look to be fine. It's not an incredibly strict rule, and one involving some common sense.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    reading this made me revisit this thread. i know that people can change but this still made me chuckle:

22. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I think people need to loosen up a bit. Maybe have a drink? Too far?

All the good arguments have already been made. There is plenty of stuff I choose not to read on the JC. Everyone has that choice. If something bothers you, move along. As long as it isn't an illegal activity--I see nothing wrong with it.

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    [image=http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/harpuah/bovine_excrement-1.gif]

Also...

[image=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a187/TRADMIC/CANADA/CANADABEEZMICHEHELMET.jpg]

24. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    lol, was that before they made Beezel go sleep in his car?

Seriously, where do you get off complaining about a harmless thread about a topic of an outing, involving legal consumption of a legal beverage, by two people of age?

Really? I'm pretty sure that they both knew that they were going to go out, they by no means were encouraging it to others, and by no means certain we're encouraging minors to follow their example.

pretty much everyone that posted in any of those threads, is either of age, or abstains period to begin with.

25. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I would just like to say for the record that neither Kendra nor I were being irresponsible. I was never more than buzzed the entire night and the threads were all for good fun and internet memes (in the case of the couch thread, though I really did sleep on her couch). Also, beezel your assumption/question that I would ever drive drunk is almost offensive. I am a mature adult with a very controlled view on drinking. I would never drive remotely impaired by alcohol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.