main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Alderaan Blessings - Holiday FF Challenge (Bail, Dorme, 3PO, little Leia) **Completed 12/26**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Dec 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Ok- here's today's post. I'm plugging away on Ch 4 and am hoping that part 5 will wrap things up.

Enjoy!

:D :D

Part 3

The home of the House of Organa burst into high energy gear. The two hundred room palace was expecting a massive influx of overnight guests. Servants and droids worked side by side to assemble makeshift beds by the hundreds. Practically any pieces of fabric, from ornate, out of season draperies, to tablecloths were used as cushioning for rolled cots that were evenly distributed all over the floors.

The kitchen bustled with activity. Still being able to utilize the original coal cookers from days of old, the chefs and cooks busily worked over the ancient stoves creating large steaming pots of choco and lamba stew. Leia worked with the kitchen staff to round up mugs and cups by the hundreds. These vessels were placed on a table just inside side entry, directly off the ballroom, so once the arrivals entered the Palace, they would be given a glass of hot liquid to defrost their freezing bodies.

All three hundred fireplaces were set alit with blazing, roaring fires, and candles were lit from every corner of the Palace to bathe it in comforting light. From outside, the approaching Royal Shuttle drivers fixated upon the blinding glow of the palace, shining brightly like a beacon through the swells of the snowstorm.

Upon entering the Palace, every townsperson would first be lead to the ballroom. There they would have their cloaks and extraneous belongings removed and cataloged. Each individual would then go through a thorough security check before being allowed into the Palace. The fourth floor, which belonged to the Royal Family, would be heavily guarded and off limits to the guests.

Leia anxiously waited by the drink table, craning her neck, waiting for the new arrivals. Dorme approached her from behind, ran her hands over her braided hair, and whispered, ?This will be quite a treat for the townsfolk to be greeted by their Princess.?

Beaming, the young girl replied, ?I can?t wait to see the kids, Mommy.?

Dorme?s heart pulled at her adopted daughter?s words. She knew that Leia often wished for a normal life. Whenever they?d ride through town in their armored, Royal Shuttles and she would see a group of kids playing in the streets, Leia would always gaze longingly after them. With few of the local magistrate families having kids, Leia infrequently got to associate with children her own age. And for security purposes, Dorme and Bail were forced to keep her as sheltered as possible. Although this particular evening was very risky, Dorme knew that Bail?s compassionate heart trusted that nothing bad would come from the unexpected turn of events.

?Ohh they?re here!? Leia exclaimed, jumping up and down. In her excitement she knocked over two full cups of steaming choco. Yelping to leap out of the way, Dorme quickly snaked out a hand and sopped up the mess with a batch of napkins.

Chuckling, she reminded Leia, ?This is going to be a long evening, Leia. You?ll need to conserve your energy.?

Her brandy-brown eyes brightened merrily as the children from the orphanage entered the Palace. As suddenly as the light sparked in her eyes, it faded. The children appeared to be utterly terrified of their surroundings. What?s more, each was rail thin, pale, and very skitterish.

Leia nearly jumped out of her skin as her father happily shouted, ?Nicco! Wonderful to see you again, my friend!?

Flashing her gaze beyond the sea of confused children?s head, Leia spied a thin blond-haired man wearing nearly threadbare clothes. A bright smile just radiated over his face when he saw Bail.

?Bail, how wonderful of you to offer us comfort and shelter on this bitterly cold night!? Nicco?s strong voice boomed back to his friend. The two men openly embraced and pounded each other on the backs.

The children all gaped their mouths open in wonderment that their orphanage leader knew Prince Organa personally! Turning his attention to the children, Bail chuckled,

2. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    ?He?s beautiful!? the white haired girl exclaimed. The other children voiced their agreements.

LOL

Compassionate heart and that no trouble would happen. (not exact), I too hope that nothing bad happens this night, but I have a feeling.

Collectively holding their breaths, everyone waited to hear what song the band would perform?

I too wonder what song. Hmmm

I like how you decided to use traditional old fashion stuff for the entertainment.

3. Arriss

Arriss Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    So Leia did get to meet Winter? ;)

I too like the way you brought in the old ways of feast and song.

But 3PO ? beautiful? LOL. From the mouth of babes. Heehee. He must?ve been extra shiny that night. And the bickering between him & R2. [face_laugh]

And the last post is?when, my friend? ;) edit: Opps, my bad [face_blush] I thought you had one post left. I see there's 2. [face_blush]

I couldn?t resist the Qui-Gon icon he just looked too cute. [face_mischief] [face_laugh]

4. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    What lovely description... I could actually see the Palace, children and the feast in my head.

Winter! ;)

The Threepio and Artoo stuff was hilarious.

What's going to happen next? I can't wait. :D

5. Padlei

Padlei Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2003
    3PO and R2 were so cute! LOL

I love the interaction b/w Leia and Winter. Very true to life.
    What are they going to play?
    I know. *sigh*

To be continued... 8-}

6. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Another great post. The Leia/Winter interaction was very well done. And I liked Dorme as well.

And the droids again. [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] *bows to the master*

Looking forward to more!

7. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Adorable addition. :)

8. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    What a lovely story. I always wanted to read about the younger lives of our twins. You are doing an excellent job. I can feel the love in the home.

9. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    What a heartwarming story, just bursting with Emperor's Day spirit ;)!

Jolting upright, Threepio demanded, ?And precisely what did you mean by fork you??

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Artoo, you naughty droid.

--MissPadme

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    New Post tomorrow Folks! (Nice early Christmas present! :D )

Crystal

I like how you decided to use traditional old fashion stuff for the entertainment.

Some of my favorite books are by Stephen R. Lawhead. In them he always puts in scenes where bards are entertaining the Royal courts. This is something that I just love from those stories and thought it would be a nice, pleasant, wonderfully ?civilized? event in the darker, dreary days of the Empire.

Arriss

But 3PO ? beautiful? LOL. From the mouth of babes. Heehee. He must?ve been extra shiny that night. And the bickering between him & R2

Well you know, 3PO?s my favorite dunderhead to write. He?s well versed on human behavior but he has absolutely no idea how to actually incorporate and utilize the lessons that he understands. His complete cluelessness makes him utterly endearing to me.

I couldn?t resist the Qui-Gon icon he just looked too cute.

Well as you see I?ve changed my appearance also. Gotta give Goldenrod a moment of glory :D

RebelScum77

What lovely description... I could actually see the Palace, children and the feast in my head.

I love writing description. I?m glad I managed to put in just enough stuff to make it work.

What's going to happen next? I can't wait.

I?ll post the next chappy tomorrow!

PadLei

I love the interaction b/w Leia and Winter. Very true to life.
    What are they going to play?
    I know. *sigh*

Writing kids is a chore for me since I don?t have any in my life. I try to think back on how I behaved when I was that age and hope that when I?m writing it comes out pretty true. Glad you liked? more on Leia/Winter tomorrow.

Lex

The Leia/Winter interaction was very well done. And I liked Dorme as well.

Thank you!
    And the droids again. *bows to the master*

<< Look to my icon>> Bowing might not be such a good idea my friend ;) :p

RebelMom

Glad you enjoyed!

Qingauk

I always wanted to read about the younger lives of our twins. You are doing an excellent job. I can feel the love in the home.

These 2 stories have been treats for me. Maybe after Ep 3 comes out I?ll work on something larger w/ the twins. For now though, I?m enjoying these little snippet stories. Glad you?re enjoying how I?m writing them!

MissPadme

Artoo, you naughty droid.

LMAO! [face_laugh]

11. Altaira

Altaira Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    The palace sounds beautiful by fire and candlelight. Leia is sure to become the champion for people of Alderaan after meeting them personally.

With 3PO?s royal and sheltered lifestyle, his beginnings would feed his inflated ego, although Anakin did make him with the start of his glorified delusions. I didn?t catch this last post but, so that?s how he gets his gold coverings...

I really like Leia becoming a human tuning fork. She is having a wonderful time sharing the evening with a new friend and so many others. :) Everyone has forgotten about the cold outside.

12. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Altaira

With 3PO?s royal and sheltered lifestyle, his beginnings would feed his inflated ego, although Anakin did make him with the start of his glorified delusions.

Yes, actually I think Padme inadvertantly gave 3PO his swelled head by calling him "perfect" :p

Leia is sure to become the champion for people of Alderaan after meeting them personally.

Yup, that's about how I've always envisioned that Leia was raised. She always seemed more mature than Luke because she wasn't as sheltered as he growing up.

Ok- here's today's post!

I might put up the last post on Christmas- or day after.

Happy Christmas Eve!

Part 4

Nervously shifting in their seats, the audience waited in anticipation for the minstrels to begin their song.

One man tuned his wind instrument, while the other two adjusted the strings on their bandoleen and chelllios. Each man nodded to each other to signify that they were ready.

The owner of the bandoleen stepped forward and announced, ?Tonight we sing you a song of Alderaan legend. It is a story of hope and compassion. I am certain you all know of it, for it is a favorite tale of ours?it is the story of King Bail Ban and Branwen.?

Cheers erupted in the hall, the folktale was a cornerstone of Alderaanian folk traditions and for this simplistic crowd, the choice could not have been better.

When the voices leveled off, the musician holding the wind instrument expertly breathed life into the soulful sounding device. It?s hauntingly, lilting tunes sent chills running up and down all of the guest?s arms and over the backs of their necks. And then the chellioist began to strum out lower toned notes out of his large instrument. The singer then added his higher pitched rhythms with the bandoleen.

The beautiful music brought tears to the eyes of many listening in the hall. Then the singer?s true and beautiful baritone voice filled the room with song:

King Bail Ban was beloved by all
    Fair and just he ruled the land
    In times of plenty and times of less
    He gave his entire soul to those less fortunate.

As the times passed, he longed for something of his own
    A wife he desired to have and to hold
    But alas, no fair maiden crossed his path
    So a quest he began to locate his fair lass.

All over Alderaan he searched high and low
    From the highest of noble courts
    To the poorest of hovels
    He just knew his beloved had to exist.

For two years he searched and searched in to no avail
    His heart remained empty as he crossed the Wellinian Plains
    Sitting heavily upon a stone he openly wept
    His heart broken, his soul bereft.

The sky then drowned his sorrow with rain
    His despairing soul realized that his quest had been in vain
    From out of the clouds a single ray of sun shined
    Gazing into the light, the King?s sight nearly went blind.

Light as air, in the sun?s blinding beam a raven flew
    The King longed to be as free as the crow
    His eyes widened in horror as a bolt of lightning
    Struck the bird out of the sky
    Where it plummeted to the ground, and died.

Rushing to the bird, the King cradled the creature in his arms
    To see a free thing struck down in its prime
    Made his heart weep and weep,
    He cried tears of sorrow and of loneliness, and dismay.

As his tears rolled down his face they splashed onto the bird?s corpse
    And magically they turned her black feathers white.
    Through his own misery and longing,
    He failed to see the bird?s transformation and altering.

Suddenly, the bird slipped through his hands
    When he opened his eyes the skies had cleared
    Before him was a sight of marvel and wonder
    A maiden of enchanting beauty had materialized out of thin air.

With hair and skin as white as new fallen snow
    She looked like no other woman he?d ever gazed upon.
    Tentatively, he asked for her name
    And from where she came.

Smiling brightly she replied, ?I have answered your cries. I am what you seek.
    Only a man of great characte

13. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    I love how you've developed the friendship of Winter and Leia. Very nice.

14. Arriss

Arriss Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    Ahh, the song of Ban and Branwen. [face_love]

I enjoyed the way Winter was so overcome by the sight of Leia?s toys. Those that have so much tend to forget how fortunate they are. Leia really made the little girl feel at home. I was surprised at how openly she talked about her real mother.

Nice chapy! :D

Looking forward to the next. I don?t know how much net time I?ll have over the next few days, but I?ll catch up. :)

15. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Ah... that was lovely.

I always wondered if Leia knew she was adopted or not, and how much she did know about the circumstances. Not much undoubtedly... you did that really well. And poor Dorme!

And I love the friendship between Leia and Winter.

16. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    This is a really beautiful story! Just perfect for the holiday. The parts with Bail and Dorme are excellent character development. I always enjoy learning more about the folks we don't get to know in the films.

My favorite part, though, was Leia's developing friendship with Winter. You've done a really nice job making their affection for each other believable and real. The Alderaani legend was a nice touch, too - especially the part about Branwen's white hair.

17. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    So warm and lovely. You are touching the hearts of many and showing what compassion is. This is so appropriate to the times.

18. Altaira

Nov 11, 2002
    Leia has found a friend to share and learn with. I liked the trust she has with Winter. Broadening her knowledge beyond the small circle she lives in can only bring good. The power outage is a blessing. ;)

Dormé and Bail are wonderful parents for her. It was fun how Bail encourages them to imagine about Bail Ban and Branwen. You?re doing a great job showing Leia?s young life and the influences that shape her. This story is blending the good and bad that exists easily, and the simple things that help to make the bad more bearable.

Another bustling day begins, although the servants will need a day off. :D

19. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Awesome story, PLJ. It's a great companion piece to Sandstorm Celebration. But the part about Branwen and Ban, do I detect a subtle cross-promotion here? ;)

20. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    OOOH,saw this was second story, will have to go read the first. I'll be back!!!

EDIT: I'm back! Great story PLJ! You have gotten into Bail's head as someone said before. In story, just like the other, you can feel the hand of fate.... *goosebumps*

You have really given the twins' childhood's life, PLJ! Great job!

*waves hand in front of PLJ -you will write more in saga stories.... 8-}

Now I must go catch up on To Court a Queen.

21. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Leia and Winter's budding friendship was wonderfully-written. The talk about The Past between Bail and Dormé was a nice touch of darkness in a sweet, warm story.

--MissPadme

22. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

RM

Why thank you! I was hoping that it would come out rather natural seeming :)

Arriss

Ahh, the song of Ban and Branwen.

Hee hee.

I enjoyed the way Winter was so overcome by the sight of Leia?s toys. Those that have so much tend to forget how fortunate they are.

Right, I figured that it would certainly seem like paradise to a girl who had nothing.

. I was surprised at how openly she talked about her real mother.

My reasoning behind that is that I seem to recall when I was really young that whenever I?d get a new friend we?d just blather about everything ? I tried to depict Leia as being a rather lonely kid- so I figured it out would make sense that she?d just spill her heart out to anyone she got in contact with who was her own age.

I don?t know how much net time I?ll have over the next few days, but I?ll catch up

No worries, darling, enjoy your time w/ Mom and Hubby [face_love]

RebelScumm

I always wondered if Leia knew she was adopted or not, and how much she did know about the circumstances. Not much undoubtedly... you did that really well.

I used the fact that Luke asked about Leia?s ?real mother? in ROTJ as the clue that she probably did grow up knowing she was adopted. But I would assume, rather like Ben, Owen, and Beru to Luke, that Leia would?ve been sheltered from the truth of what really happened to her parents.

Reihla

The parts with Bail and Dorme are excellent character development. I always enjoy learning more about the folks we don't get to know in the films.

Right! Hee hee- I have to admit that the only reason that Bail Organa seems to be pretty well fleshed out is that I?m a huge Jimmy Smits fan- (LA LAW, NYPD Blue [face_love] ) so it?s pretty easy for me to physically hear his voice in my head when I?m writing him. Dorme?s a little harder for me. But I?m glad you?ve enjoyed how I?ve depicted them.

My favorite part, though, was Leia's developing friendship with Winter. You've done a really nice job making their affection for each other believable and real.

I think that childhood friendships are some of the greatest things, because kids are so trusting, particularly with each other. I?m glad that I?ve managed to make them seem believable. I don?t have kids in my life and have to rely on memory- so if I actually succeeded in making their experiences realistic, I?m very pleased.

The Alderaani legend was a nice touch, too - especially the part about Branwen's white hair.

Hee hee! I have a confession- the tale of Branwen is one that I used in my EU epic ?Destinies Entwined.? I had created it as being an Alderaan legend, so when I tried to decide what to write for a story- that was a completely natural choice! :D Plus, cross-tying in my different stories isn?t a bad idea either ;)

Qingauk

You are touching the hearts of many and showing what compassion is. This is so appropriate to the times.

Right. Sandstorm was really about family and coming together with the ones you love and making the best of your moments together in life. This story from when I started it, was about the spirit of the holidays, celebrating the traditions, but also in examining the charitable parts of the season.

Considering Bail was one of the leaders of the Rebellion (at least we always assumed so) I figured he?d have the biggest heart in the Galaxy, hence why I?ve depicted him as such.

Altaira

It was fun how Bail encourages them to imagine about Bail Ban and Branwen.

Hee hee- yeah I really liked that part too. Reminds me of parents encouraging their kids to continue to believe in Santa or things of that sort. It?s that ability to believe in the intangible, that helps make and keep life magical for kids. Once they stop believing, is when they grow up and that wondrous innocence in youth is forever gone.

You?re doing a great job showing Leia?s young life and the influences that shape her.

23. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Excellent compromise. Wanting give her stuff away is certainly a Leia trait. You should write more in this era. I love reading stories about the twins. ;)

24. Altaira

Nov 11, 2002
    The people of Alderaan did have another fine day to enjoy the generosity of the Organa?s. I?m glad they would carry the kindness that was shared with them.

Leia is insightful for her young years. The solution of bringing the children to visit regular will help all. I suspect things will improve all around on Alderaan. ;) This has been a nice day trip into Leia?s early life. You have showed how kindness can touch so many. A terrific companion piece to Sandstorm Celebration :D

Thanks for the holiday stories.

25. Padlei

Padlei Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2003
    Sniff... :(

That was so touching... Almost teared up when they mentioned Padme and poor Leia not knowing anything.
    Leia telling Winter about her mother was really fitting.

Lovely story... :D

Hehe... Looks like other people want you to write more in this era! ;)
    More, please? [face_puppydog's eyes]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.