main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Alderaan-- defenseless?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by MechanicalAnimal, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MechanicalAnimal

MechanicalAnimal Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    Princess Leia tells Vader and Tarkin that Alderaan had no weapons of any kind. However, the novel {page 129-130} states otherwise:

"The defense systems on Alderaan, despite the Senator's protestations to the contrary, were as strong as any in the Empire. I should think that our demonstration was as impressive as it was thorough."

Also, it should be noted that, as Michael Wong pointed out on his site, it appears that Alderaan had some sort of planetary shield that stopped the Death Star's blast for a tiny fraction of a second; which would actually require an inconcievably powerful shield.

So what's up? Is Alderaan actually secretly a part of the Rebel Alliance? Did Leia know about the defenses?

2. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    They certainly seemed defenseless.

Scene: Alderaanian Space Traffic Control Center--nighttime

STC 1: Sir, a battle station the size of small moon just exited hyperspace and is holding position at about 20,000 klicks out.

STC 2: What's it doing?

STC 1: Shooting at us, Sir.

STC 2: Alert the planetary def.....[static]....

3. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I always figured that Alderaan might of been something like Naboo. They might of had a small security force but no huge army. So that might of been what Leia meant by saying their defenseless.

Even if they had some kinda sheild you'd think the people who made the Death Star would of made sure the laser could shoot through any kinda of planetary sheild.

4. MechanicalAnimal

MechanicalAnimal Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    Oh, the superlaser did penetrate the shield fairly easily {and took only a fraction of a second to do so}, but you can still see that there appears to be a shield on-screen. For example, there's a small "bubble" effect around the section of the planet the laser strikes that is remarkably similar to what we see when ordinary lasers strike the shields of capital ships.

5. darthnick11

darthnick11 Guest

Alderaan does have defenses. They just aren't very good defenses.

6. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I never believed Alderaan had defenses. Leia wouldn't lie about that.

7. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    i think that leia would say anything to stop the planet from getting blown up...i mean i would

leia is smart...it is just that it did not work..

but alderaan wouldn't have lasted long even it did have good defences

8. Evil_Otto

Evil_Otto Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 28, 2004
    Alderaan was the core of the Rebel Alliance. That's part of the reason why Tarkin chose it as a target. He knew that Bail Organa was a major leader in the Rebellion.

9. darthnick11

darthnick11 Guest

Alderaan probably only had a small defense force(think Naboo) and a weak planetary defense shield.

10. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    Of course Alderaan had defenses. Organa (both) were major players in the Rebellion. They prolly had weapon stockpiles there. Maybe a Rebel Boot Camp was operating planetside.

Another reason why I think Alderaan wasn't defenseless:

Leia was as bad a liar as Obi-Wan for the first half of ANH. First, she lied about the being on a relief mission. Second, she lied about knowing about the plans for the Death Star (or even knowing what they were). Third, she lied about the location of the secret Rebel base (Dantooine. They're on Dantooine.). Give me one good reason why Grand Moff Tarkin, Darth Vader, and the Admiralty (or us) should believe her about Alderaan being so defenseless.

11. Evil_Otto

Sep 28, 2004
    Alderaan had major defences, but it was mostly hidden. From what I can remember reading, the Rebel Alliance even operated out of Alderaan to a certain degree.

12. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    Alderaan's defenses or lack thereof are discussed somewhat in the ROTS novel. I can't post them in here. PM me if you want em.

13. LowRyder

LowRyder Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2005
    I doubt it even matters if Alderaan was defended or not, because no defence can stand against the Death Star I think. They probably had a small security force like Naboo but nothing like an army or so.

14. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    LowRyder is right. Despite what ever security Alderaan had, there is no way it could have done anything to stop from being destroyed. It was destiny.

15. Evil_Otto

Sep 28, 2004
    Despite what ever security Alderaan had, there is no way it could have done anything to stop from being destroyed.

Against a Death Star, or even a fleet of Imperial cruisers? No way in hell could it stand up for itself. But that doesn't mean that it wasn't defended to a large degree.

16. Jodus

Jodus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 21, 2005
    No defenses doesnt mean they can't have a shield. Alderaan was a planet of pacifists, not idiots :p Any planet wealthy enough to have a shield would have one. Especially if they were demilitarized as they were. They were likely similar to Naboo as was said before. Though even the police force might not have openly carried any arms.

A.C Crispins Han Solo trilogy has a good scene on Alderaan depicting its security forces. Or lack there of I guess.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Alderaan had weapons--quite a bit of them--and they were also the principal funding source for the Rebellion. The majority of the equipment we see in ESB is very similar to the Alderaanian equipment in ANH, and the Royal House of Organa is quite rich.

18. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Alderaan-- defenseless?

Correct, your intuition serves you well. You are one step closer to a larger universe.

19. Magic_Al

Magic_Al Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2003
    As far as, "we have no weapons" goes, well, obviously the Tantive IV has guns. Or maybe that was their only ship, and of course it's gone by the time Leia is talking to Tarkin.

As for Leia being a bad lier, also notice how she tried a fake Coruscant accent on Tarkin, even though Vader was right there and had already heard the way she really talks. :D

20. SY-638

SY-638 Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2005
    I highly doubt it was defenseless. What where they going to do against the Death Star? First of all, it came out of nowhere, they werent expecting it so their defenses werent ready, second, even if they were ready they wouldnt even put a dent in the Death Star. So it wouldnt have mattered, either way Alderaan was doomed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.