St. Lou, MO Alderaan had it coming.

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by tuxz0r, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuxz0r Jedi Knight

Some friends of mine at work were arguing that Alderaan was, as Leia pleaded to Tarkin, "Alderaan is peaceful. We have no weapons!" None of my friends have read any EU material; but, I thought I had remembered a specific detail about weapons caches being put into a hyperspace orbit (albeit a wide orbit, not like a moon) around Alderaan in order to keep them from being discovered. They were equiped with unique homing beacons and only accessible by another ship travelling in the same hyperspace orbit.

That detail withstanding, I believe Alderaan was a more than valid military target for the Death Star, being that Bail and Leia were known leaders of the Rebellion and more than likely, Alderaan was at least a recruiting ground and at most a training and planning base for the Alliance. I found the following interesting site while arguing this, http://www.professorbainbridge.com/2005/06/was_the_bombing.html.

Anyone have any pointers to the information about weapons caches or other military targets on Alderaan?
  2. tuxz0r Jedi Knight

Wow, no one remembers any reference to hyperspace weapons caches around Alderaan from any of the EU material? Maybe I saw it in one of the gaming references.

hrm....
  3. JediUruviel Jedi Master

star 4
    was this actually mentioned in the films? I don't remember that...
  4. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    He's talking about EU material.

I don't recall any of it though. I checked the sources, couldn't find anything on the matter. Sorry!
  5. tuxz0r Jedi Knight

Ah, the wonderful bliss that is Wikipedia! I don't know the exact source, but here's what the wikipedia entry noted,

"After the horrors of the Clone Wars, Alderaan's massive war machine was dismantled and the weapons were placed aboard an armory warship called Another Chance. The ship was programmed to continually jump through hyperspace until called home by the Alderaanian Council."

I knew I had heard of this! You can view the whole wikipedia entry at, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alderaan
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.