main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ALERT] 9-1-1 Mod Call Up Thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth Mischievous, Jul 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    I figured Comms could use an easy reference thread to alert online mods of trolls and spammers rampaging about in the forums...

I think it easier for a mod to come into comms and check in on this thread instead of members having to search to and fro for an online mod, especially in instances in the middle of the night in American time zones.

---

The first call goes out to the mods to help with a troll in the JCC named SnowLord.

2. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    I think it easier for a mod to come into comms and check in on this thread instead of members having to search to and fro for an online mod, especially in instances in the middle of the night in American time zones.

Users online page?

I_F

3. Darth Mischievous

Oct 12, 1999
    That page shows who has been online in the past 60 minutes and is not a reliable indicator of who is presently online.

When this thread comes up, it is an easy reference for any mod to come in and check where and the event is being instigated and who is responsible.

4. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    That page shows who has been online in the past 60 minutes and is not a reliable indicator of who is presently online.

The "last login" column does seem to be useful in determining who's likely to be online.

When this thread comes up, it is an easy reference for any mod to come in and check where and the event is being instigated and who is responsible.

Or an easy thread to spam and hoax. Each report would also quickly become obsolete and out of date. Mods could easily get confused at which calls have been dealt with, and have to waste time checking each one if there's no actual indication here.

I_F

5. Darth Mischievous

Oct 12, 1999
    Mods can easly delete post requests after they have come along and have been taken care of to keep the thread streamlined.

6. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    What's the point when you can't be certain a mod will see this thread anytime soon?

Just use the time-honoured system of PMing the first mod that pops up in the users online list. This thread is just going to become a haven to helpy helpers, the kind of "people" that should be lined up behind Golden Age Cafe and shot in the....I've said too much.

7. Darth Mischievous

Oct 12, 1999
    LOL DA

Being a 'night' person as I am (working nights and staying up on my days off), there is a tendency for the mods not to be around, of course.

It's difficult to find them via the 'users online' thing-a-ma-jig because half the time they just pop up and are gone, but the 'users online' will say that they remain.

I thought of an idea for a Comms thread specifically for alerting every mod at once, that way a mod can pop in here when they sign on, see if the thread is upped and get an alert where it is occuring.

Mods would have to delete the posts in the thread that have been addressed and keep discussion in here to an absolute minimum and only dial in case of emergency.

I just threw the idea up for consideration, that's all.

8. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    If mods are online and present, they show up on the online list (they bump to the top every 15 minutes if logged in, i.e. activity. just don't PM people with older online times). People read PMs faster than Comms threads.
    If mods aren't online... there won't be anybody there to see this thread.

and personally, I think I'm one of the few who reads Comms before my forum

9. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Yeah, it actually isn't easier to come in here. It was much more efficient to have users PM me rather than trying to get in to Comms every few minutes. Besides most most if they know they're one of the few online should be checking into the busy forums just to see how things are going.

10. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I can't speak for everyone else, but I'd use a thread like this to catch up on all the drama and inappropriate posts that I missed, especially if they haven't been taken care of yet. :cool:

This is just giving the trolls the attention that they want.

11. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    TwiLekJedi posted on 2/14/05 6:16am
    and personally, I think I'm one of the few who reads Comms before my forum
    [hr][/blockquote] I'm not a mod but I check Comms before other forums - does that count? :p

I agree that most people read PM's before topics though. Especially because you get an e-mail saying you have a PM. Somehow or another they can always find you...

Just my two cents.

[b]EDIT:[/b] Markups

12. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Only if you have PM notification turned on.

13. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    The best way of reaching a mod really is the Users Online feature. Not every mod is all that active in Comms. And that doesn't serve you well in a situation where any mod will do. The Users Online feature clearly has the mod's name stand out and you can see how active they are at the moment by how high they are on the list combined with the time of their most recent posting activity. This correlates to how likely they are to see your PM within a reasonable time. If you happen to be posting during a particular time of day wherein the mods who normally don't post in Comms are all online, a post in this thread could sit all night.

14. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    PM's definitely get attention more. I've used the Users Online function many times with those mods that helped out with 3SA trolling.

15. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Very true - I would hope that most mods would have that enabled, however.

16. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I agree with TwiLekJedi to an extent, but this idea isn't a bad one.

17. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I don't think having a thread like that is not a bad idea, but like it's been said before, not every mod comes into Comms, and the best is way to help is to PM a mod. I check mod's profiles, and the one closest to current time I PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.