ALERT - Advance Ticket Sales!

Discussion in 'Victoria, BC' started by Qui-Dawn, Apr 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Okay, people, it looks like my tentative feeling that advance Episode II ticket sales will start this Friday may, in fact, be true....the more I'm hearing about the dates being bandied about, the more it all seems to be coming back to this Friday. Which, in my mind, makes this *rather* urgent!

Yes, I know we're still in contact with the Odeon, and what we've been told all along is that as soon as they know, we'll know....which has been most encouraging, for sure, and perhaps even a load off our frenzied little minds. :) However, I'm now thinking that we should be *very* prepared for the apparent likelihood that they'll start on sale *this* Friday....and as a result, we need a game plan for that likelihood, as we would for any other.

Now, I know our board's just been hoppin' of late....boy, hasn't it ;) - but this, now, is something that strikes me as *very* urgent and important....and I think that under the circumstances, it'd be best if we all threw in our own few dataries' worth and hammered out just what we're gonna do. Because, going by the date estimate of this Friday....it's looking more and more urgent indeed!

Dawn.
  2. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't panic...please don't panic...

Ticket sales for Spiderman went on sale the Friday before the movie was due to be released. Likely they'll do the same with AOTC, which would mean a date closer to the 10th of May.

Our theatre contact has specifically said they are not selling tickets for one blockbuster movie while they're just releasing another, in this case, Spiderman.

He said that they won't know anything before this Friday. When asked, "Does that mean you could be selling them as early as this Friday, when you find out?" he said no.

Our contact is more than willing to help us out, and said things will happen in this order:
    1) The theatre will be notified of when to start advance sales.
    2) Media will be contacted to advertise beforehand the date of the advanced ticket sales.
    3) Advanced tickets will go on sale.

I'm told he's going to try to let us know about the sale date just prior to #2...in other words, we *ought* be the first ones contacted, and it will be *days* before the tickets are actually available.

Now...everyone breathe, okay? :)

- Rani
  3. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, well....with but sixteen days left to go, I figure we can't really bee *too* careful or *too* on top of the situation. After all, we don't want anyone gettin' the jump on us, do we? After all this planning and preparation.... No, I didn't think so. :) My viewpoint's always been, forewarned is forearmed....and besides, the next sixteen days may start to pass in a flurry soon enough....I think you'd be surprised at just how quickly the time can fly by....so, yeah, I just thought it was wise of us - and I'm sure all will agree on this point - to remain prepped and ready. 'Cause it sure won't be at all long now! :)

Sixteen days and counting....

Dawn.
  4. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well....so far seems like we're all still in a holding pattern, from coast to coast thanks to theatre management....gee, you'd think they were doing this on purpose to drive us all stark raving bonkers. Which, of course, I'm sure they're *not* since, oh, that would be just *too* cruel. ;) ::snorts in laughter::

Still - Derisa, any word yet from the Odeon? Did you manage to make it down there to pester 'em in person? I'd been entertaining notions of doing that myself but held off since they've been dealing with you primarily, and I'd imagine we don't want to scare them any further. :) Surely they can't keep us waiting *too* much insanely longer, though....so what did they have to say?

Someone else mentioned that all this waiting could give them ulcers....ah, never mind *that*, I think it could give me a coronary. :)

Dawn.
  5. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay... don't panic... I look like a complete idiot, but all is well.

Darren took some initiative and called up the Odeon, and learned that yes, ticket sales opened Friday the 3 of May.

The Silver City office did not apparently know that, and indeed told me today they might know when they can start their sales by Wednesday. They were unaware that the Odeon has been selling since Friday. The theatres are supposed to be incommunication and co-ordinating their showings so as not to conflict, but after all of Lance's assurances that he knew what was up with which theatre, he was wrong. SilerCity does not know when they will begin selling tickets, but Odeon is already and has been since Friday.

Now, ***DON'T PANIC***: our fearless and intrepid commanding officer has flown down to the theatre to purchase enough tickets for the first showing, for the following people, (Claire having already bought hers):

Dawn, Darren, John, Will, Erin, Paul, Veronica, and myself.

The cost per ticket is $7.95, and Rani will be keeping charge of them until she is paid by the individuals. If people will confirm with Rani or I numbers for seeing the second or subsequent showings as discussed at the meeting on Saturday, we can arrange to purchase more.

There appears to be no rush, many tickets are still available, even for that first showing, but even if one develops, *we* are covered.

I apologise for any stress this has caused anyone, and hope that Rani's quick action upon discovering the problem will have mollified you. three cheers for Master Dao-Rin and Rani Veko for pulling this whole shibumi off for us.

*Derisa*
  6. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ::imitates the Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin:: *Crikey!!* For mercy's sake, you practically made me fall out of my chair....I lost muscular control there for a minute....and really, I'm starting to think I'm not up to handling such extreme physical shocks. ;) Remember what I was saying about having a coronary? Eeeek! Still, though....as I'm sure you can imagine, I saw the first part there and immediately embarked on the beginning stages of a full-fledged freakout....as in, I might have gotten seriously crazed, and it ain't pretty. Then again, I know I'm not the only one who'd have been in such a state, right? Righty-o. :) I swear, though....if you didn't warn me straight off not to worry, then I would have, and with a mighty vengeance. As it is, I'm still a little weak in the knees....can I have some time to recover here? Phew!

Man *alive*, I can't believe that happened....though rest assured, Derisa, it's *not* at all your fault, no one's blamin' you here - how could we? You've been keepin' on top of the theatre all this time, never letting up....keepin' up the pressure on 'em, and that can only be a good thing! See, if anyone's to blame for this little mini-fiasco, it's *obviously* the frickin' Odeon. Or at least, the manager. Now, I'm already thinking some unlawful-to-be-uttered things here, but would anyone object too much if I went on a real cleansing rant? ;) Oh, come on, I'm sure we're all on the same page here....immensely, *tremendously*, weak-kneed relieved, of course....but along with that, maybe more than a bit pissed off with the Odeon - and we have *every* right to be. Quite obviously they don't have their act together, and this was the *one* time when surely they'd have known it was an absolute necessity to be *very* well-prepared....and apparently they weren't.

And, see, the thing is, they really could've bollixed things up for a lot of people in the process; so totally *their* screwup, the fact that obviously one hand's not talkin' to the other, as it were....egads, it's like even *they* don't have a blasted clue what the heck they're doin', and if *they* don't then the Force help us all. Eeeep. :)

Oh, yeah, I know we're all okay here, we're safe....no reason to panic, and, see? I'm not. Really, I'm fine. :) Phew! ::wipes brow:: Still, what really tears me up about this - what, just one thing? :) - is that they've so obviously *not* been mentioning this to anyone-at-large, they haven't been advertising it....no indication at the theatre....nada, zip, zilch. I've been looking and haven't seen a sign of anything, so of course, if *they're* not telling us anything when we pester 'em like mad for information, and if they haven't got the information up, then how are we to know? E-*zactly*! It's not at all our fault, it's *theirs*....makes me think the Odeon chain has either some Sithly tendencies or....no, come to think of it, this strikes me as more Trade Federation-ish. You know what I mean. :)

And of course - a *most* hearty, emphatic, rousing three cheers for Rani and Master Dao-Rin, who've absolutely saved the day here! They totally saved our bacon and I am *forever* in debt to them for it. :) ::stands on her chair and cheers vigorously:: *Yaaaaaaaaaay!* Force bless you guys....you really are lifesavers, do you know that? Not to mention really savin' my sanity here as well.... :)

Oh, hey, and I was just wondering here - did we have a general tally on who was interested in a second show at the Odeon, the one right after the 12:01 premiere? Earlier today I was really back-and-forth on it, not entirely sure whether I....or quite possibly my wallet....could handle that. Only now I'm feeling incredibly buzzed again with this huge weight lifted off my shoulders....probably *all* our shoulders as well, I imagine :) - and, so....well, what numbers do we have for this one, that's what I'm wondering! And, more importantly....how soon do you really need to know? If this is an immediate kind of decision, a pretty-much-now kind of thing....then, sure, pencil me in for a second
  7. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks again to Master_Dao_Rin, and also to Claire, who tipped Briana off to the early ticket sales. Also thanks to my husband, Paul, who left his delicious dinner half-eaten to drive me downtown and circle the block repeatedly while tickets were being purchased at the box office.

Finally, a big thank you to Derisa, who has put a lot of work into keeping in contact with the theatre and its various (and obviously rather confused) managers and staff. She handled herself professionally over the last few weeks with them, maintaining a good image for Victory Base as a whole. Even when the news came down and she was confronting the SilverCity and Odeon liasons with their errors and gross lack of communication with us and each other, Derisa maintained a PG-13 rated discourse throughout, something I don't think everyone would do under similar circumstances. ;)

Folks, our long-awaited Opening Night is a GO!

As Derisa mentioned, I have eight tickets in hand for all of those members who hadn't told us they already purchased them. If for some reason you happen to buy yours before you read this thread, please contact myself or Derisa and let us know, so I can scalp...er, I mean, offer someone else the opportunity to attend opening night. :) Just so you know, the tickets were $7.95 each.

Unless anyone objects, I am quite happy to hang on to these tickets until I see you all in the line-up. Please know this has nothing to do with me ensuring I'll be reimbursed: I trust each of you. I would really feel terrible for anyone who rushed out the door and hopped a bus to meet us in the line, only to realize they'd forgotten their ticket at home and there wasn't time to go back for it.

All the tickets, including my own, are safe in an envelope which I'll bring with me to the line-up to distribute there. If anyone has any problem with this and wants their ticket beforehand, just contact me and I'll gladly give you your ticket and the responsibility for bringing it with you.

Just think...nine days from the moment I'm writing this, we'll all be sitting in a darkened theatre and barely half-way through seeing AOTC for the first time! [Anakin] Yippee! [/Anakin]

- Rani
    Victory Base Purchasing Agent and Bus Driver

...Did I actually just say "yippee"??? (shudder)
  8. _5_1_5_0_ Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ugh LUCKY GUYS!!!
    We're still waiting to hear something in the lower mainland!!! And its killing me over here!!!!
  9. Chill Jedi Knight

star 1
    hold on a sec. what's being said here? are all cinplex odeons across canada selling tix? or are only some selling? or non?
  10. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Okay, guys....first off, I think I feel properly recovered now; after tremendous weak-kneed relief set in, now there's just plain, sheer, unmitigated excitement, so much so it almost leaves me dizzy. Which is quite nice, actually, I'll take that any day. :) But as I was just downtown picking up a DVD, I thought I should let everyone know that I checked by the Odeon and they *do* finally have a small black-and-white, I presume photocopied, ad for Episode II advance ticket sales....so the ad's up in the window, it's all a go, and so from that I'm expecting we might see a real run on advance ticket sales, *very* soon. Not at all long now until *everyone* knows, I wager....that is, if the theatre's not about to put out a wide-scale media release anytime now. And with the Odeon, well, who the heck knows. ;) Tee hee....

Next, I was just wondering....and I know already PM'd Rani about this....but after the 12:01 showing, which we're all set for (oh, how I love saying that!) - who all was planning for a subsequent showing? On Saturday I think the possibility of the one right after, 3 a.m. or so, was bruited about....but since I've been a bit back-and-forth on this myself, I was just wondering as to exactly who all was possibly planning on another showing, right after our midnight one. It's also occurred to me that this is something it might be best to make a pretty prompt call on - yes? :) - if the sign's already up at the Odeon, and people are gonna start finding out soon enough. So - maybe this is a decision best made sooner rather than later on my part, and everyone's too, right? :) Just curious....

Also....I know we're obviously planning to hit a showing at Silver City later on Thursday, but along those lines, I've been thinking....I know a sizeable group of people who are planning to see the showing over there that's around 10 p.m., 10:30 or so....in that hour. Now, I don't know as we'd already set a specific time for *our* jaunt out to Silver City, so that leads me to wonder - what about going then, at the later showing like that? Along with a large group of friends - the very same ones, as a matter of fact :) - I saw "Harry Potter" around that time last November, and it worked out great....wonderful energetic crowds, totally packed, and we loved every minute of it! :) Besides, I was also thinking....and got a nice thrill from it in the process, too....if we can go en-masse, as our group, to that showing - then think about it, we really would be honouring everyone else with our flowing colourful presence. I mean, we'd *really* have an impact....heck, we would *rule*! :)

So, yeah, I'm definitely game for that in any case....I've just been leaning more towards that time at Silver City because, well - the more the merrier by *far*, and we could have an even bigger group that way, and since we were already thinking of an evening or late-night showing at Silver City, well....I'm just saying, is all. :)

But, also....I know we were talking about maybe doing the whole Speaker's Corner thing and basically making a real hoot of it afterwards....what about afternoon-ish? That way we could make a full day of it, or at least, full enough....maybe get a few winks of sleep in between the first showing and, well, Silver City later, no matter what else we're planning....and then Speaker's Corner of *course*....and maybe coffee or something....and then, yeah, away we would go! So, what do you think? Am I totally off-base here? I sure hope not. :)

And, finally....just one more thing here, for the nonce....I wanted to again thank Rani, Claire, Master Dao-Rin, Derisa....all of you. You really came through in the crunch, you were operating on less than a moment's notice here....you were all top-notch ready exactly when you had to be, when we all needed you to be....and I just wanted to say I'm forever grateful to you guys for that. :) Of course I've since come to realize that *I* really didn't help all that much, though.....I mean, honestly, what *do* I bring to this operation, eh? Aside from hopefully some good karma..
  11. Chill Jedi Knight

star 1
    thanks qui-dawn, but i also answered my own question any ways. i went down to my local cineplex odeon (it's a Grande by the way) and they had tix on sale for the 12:01 screening. i didn't buy them though cause i'm holding out for tix to the dlp screening at silvercity.
  12. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    So it appears that ours is not the only Odeon to be jumping the gun on advanced ticket sales...

Should we spread the word to other city's forums, or would that compound the panic that's already happening? Hmm... YJN, Woofer, if you're reading this, what do you think?

- Rani
  13. Chill Jedi Knight

star 1
    tell whoever you wish.
    but all this jumping the gun wihtout a word must mean they're trying to avoid line ups and hoards of people buying tickets in a frenzy.
  14. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ::fans self:: Wow, what a crazy last twenty-four hours it's been, huh? Are we all still surviving okay? Those of us already with our tickets, well, yeah....I imagine that we are, naturally. ;) But as for everyone else who's still waiting on theirs - I can't imagine what the holdup is, but surely it can't go on *too* much insanely longer....I mean, just over eight days to go, anyone? At least, that's by my reckoning.... :)

Here's what I was wondering, though. I know there's still no confirmation as to what our local Silver City is doing....seems like they're determined to screw up *everyone*, don't it? I really marvel at anyone who can stay remotely civil towards them....that takes real determination....but I digress. See, what I was wondering is....I know we don't yet know when they'll start selling tickets there, though our latest estimate has us knowing maybe sometime tomorrow (Wednesday)....of course to say nothing of when they'll actually start *selling* them....waiting on their not-so-tender mercies, apparently. But all that being said, when they *do* go on sale - what show were most people leaning towards seeing? I know I already explained why I'd been kind of leaning towards the 10 p.m.-ish showing, whatever time around there they'll have it for sure....just because I thought, you know - we could honour everyone else with our presence, and such. :)

Yeah, yeah, it could be that I'm jumping the gun just a wee tiny smidgen here, I'm really not sure....but I just thought, well - it's already out there and it's too late for me to take it back, I *was* merely wondering and curious and hoping we'd know more soon enough, that's all. I'll be good now. :)

Just over eight days and counting....

Dawn.
  15. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    FYI: SilverCity opened sales on their showings of Attack of the Clones *last night*... although they are only officially doing so today at 9:45 am. Lance and the others felt badly enough about it that they were willing to offer us pre-buys: they were willing to sell them to Victory Base and whoever else we told last night. Not a bad recovery, frankly.

Now the key here is that they are *NOT* showing it twenty-four/seven as previously thought: they are going to be showing it only at noon, 3:30pm, 7pm and 10:30 pm daily, starting Thursday the 16 of May.

I hope this belated info helps us in planning our attendance.

I'd like to see the noon and 3:30 pm showing on Thursday at SilverCity, anyone with me in that?

As for the night of, I will call the Odeon when their office opens today to confirm that they will be having two shows in a row opening night.

Sorry to hear that other FanForce branches are still in the dark. That sucks! After the clusterf*** that we had to deal with, I really feel for you guys!

*Derisa*

16. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Noon and 3:30 p.m. at Silver City? Eeeep. Me, I'd have to say that my bank account at present can't handle that....really can't spare quite that much at the present time. That's why I was just thinking the one showing....I hope I'll have it all figured out by tonight at the latest, anyway.... :)

Seven days, thirteen hours and thirty minutes and counting....

Dawn.
  17. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Okay, who else is getting seriously excited here? That is to say, pretty darn pumped and increasingly frenetic? ::raises hand:: Speaking on my own behalf, I know that every time I think about it....the whole thing, you know, not "just" (!!!) the movie in and of itself, but also the lining up....the whole group being together, making a great big lark out of it....everything!....well, it just has me pretty buzzed, is all.

Of course, I'm also rapidly coming to find that it's taking all my lightning-fast reflexes, all the best reaction time I can manage, in order to keep staying well away from any and all spoilerish stuff....pics, teasers, promos, commercials - which come on with absolutely *no* notice and send me diving to the floor, away from the TV; oh, yeah, it's gettin' to be pretty hard by now, but I'm still succeeding with it....and this is absolutely *the* most blessedly, blissfully and totally spoiler-free I've *ever* been for any film, and incidentally, I wholly recommend it....sure, it takes a hell of a lot of work, but you know, it's all *more* than worth it in the end. :) And, besides, the singular best payoff will be coming in just over seven days, *one* week, that's all that's left....and you know, I think I can survive that. I've come this far, the rest of it is no problem! Phew....

Six days, five hours, forty-one minutes and counting....

Dawn.
  18. Master_Dao_Rin Jedi Padawan

Don't worry about me, guys, I have my tickets for everyone I'm bringing. Thanks for covering, though! I'm sure you can find someone else for my ticket! If not, I know someone else who'll come.

:)
  19. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hey, where did everybody go? No, wait, let me guess....still climbing the walls from sheer anticipation and excitement, are we? So buzzed you can hardly think straight? Welcome to my world. :) Whee! Almost there....we are, finally, literally almost there....we survived the wait! And, most importantly of all....I survived it pristinely spoiler-free. Yeah, yeah, I know there's still all this evening yet I have to keep watching out for stuff, and I will, no question....but, hey, I've actually managed to accomplish it, and that's definitely something. :) Yay!

Oh, and I just wanted to let everyone know....namely, Rani and Derisa, I know you guys'll be showing up at the Odeon sometime around noon-ish and of course I'll have long-since been there, head of the line and all that....again, yay! :) Still, I just wanted to assure you that I'm hard at work on the sign we'll have up....big pics of Qui and Obi, big printing and everything....I'll have our chapter name on it too, if that's all okay, and I'm sure it is. Attention-getting being a *most* worthwhile pursuit and all that....

Oh, and also - don't forget to bring chairs and such....I may end up bringing one of my own early tomorrow morning ('cause that's when I'm headed down there, costume and all of course....in the early sma's o' the mornin'....not *too* insanely early, but, you know - well, I already explained it, we've already talked about it....so all's well. :) I'll see you down there tomorrow, then, for sure! No way on Tatooine or Coruscant you could ever miss me! :) *giggles*

I'll see you guys there soon enough....be ready for some lightsaber battlin', I know *I* sure am....fun and all that.... And, oh, now I *really* can't wait! :) Yahoo!

Dawn. (who is now *extremely* pumped and excitedly edgy)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.