main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Alexsandr "Hot" Kallus

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Trebor Sabreon, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Kaitan ISB021

Kaitan ISB021 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2017

I like the idea. The stern face of Yularen alongside Thrawn and Pryce in one of the preview shot doesn't let me be hopeful about that theory, though.

2. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    I get a feeling Kallus will die this season, he will be killed off to get the audience to feel sorry him because he put his life at risk and lost it for the Rebellion. Not the best choice killing off Kallus, I would have preferred a member of the Ghost Crew to kick the bucket, but considering Rebels light tone that seems very unlikely.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  3. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Anyone kinda find Kallus's turn a bit jarring? Honorable ones seemed like too quick a change in characterization. Remember how he cackled about Lasat genocide in Droids in Distress? How he kicked a stormtrooper hanging off his leg in the pilot? I recognize that stuff like Grint/Aresko/Tua's executions could cause some behind the scenes reflection, but at least in the stormtrooper example it never seemed like he cared for the lives of others anyways. Plus he gloats to Tua that he and Vader will handle things and never flinches when told to burn Tarkintown.

4. prlrocks

prlrocks Jedi Master star 2

Jun 15, 2009
    Na, Kallus turn worked for me. A near death experience (and being forced to work with his 'enemy') allowed him to look at the rebels and see them for what they were and for him to look at the Empire and see it for what it is. The ep makes it clear as to what both sides do and not not value. Kallus saw that while he had been loyal to the Empire, the Empire had not loyalty towards him. They left him for dead and when he does return, they truly don't care. He, like so many people in the Galaxy, are nothing to the Empire. The ep also made it clear that Kallus already had issue with the Empire's behavior. When the ep ends, we see him really thinking it all over. His next steps made complete sense to me.

BigAl6ft6, corinthia and Danifae like this.
  5. Fuzzy ambassador

Fuzzy ambassador Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2012
    I found his turn very jarring. Kallus exhibits classic antisocial personality disorder traits. (I'm no psychiatrist but I do work in mental health.) People with this disorder care little for the rights of others and feel little to no empathy. (Kicking a stormtrooper to his death for simply being annoying then choking up at his own men's deaths?) Their feelings and wants are paramount. They are charming and cocky and when confronted with something that they have done, will cry crocodile tears, as in they feel bad that they are being persecuted instead of feeling bad for their victims. Personally I would love it if Kallus was was a triple agent. It would feel more realistic to me, and be a heartbreaking twist for the rebels, but I doubt it will happen.

6. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    It's possible that you're overanalysing moments that were clearly meant to be injections of humour.

corinthia, theraphos and Danifae like this.
  7. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I don't see Kallus making it out of today's episode alive. I haven't seen the episode yet, but I think he will die while the Rebels try to free him. It could be a sacrifice of sorts. I don't necessarily want Kallus to die, but it's a possible direction they could go in.

8. Fuzzy ambassador

Sep 20, 2012
    ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Oh, no doubt that part was supposed to be funny . It had all the timing of a comedy piece. But, Kallus still killed the guy.Then talked about how not all Imperials are the same, then smirked when a star destroyer full of imps gets killed. It just seems like they didn't know what direction they wanted the character to go in imho.

Theo333 and Meeko Ghintee like this.
  9. Danifae

Danifae Jedi Master star 1

Aug 23, 2004
    Although Kallus's redemption arc has been rushed I can accept his change of heart.

Eh, Kallus smirking at the ISD's destruction seemed more of a case of him being relieved and impressed that the rebels had outwitted the Imperials rather than 'lol they ded.'

Also re Kallus's treatment of Tua in TSOL, throughout the entirety of Season 1 Tua interacted with subordinate Imperials (this includes Kallus, too) in a way which wouldn't instil a sense of personal or professional loyalty in anyone.

She was incredibly nasty, narcissistic, condescending, unsympathetic and intolerant and despite being 32... didn't really act like it. With higher ranking Imperials such as Tarkin she was sycophantic, amiable, super-helpful and considerate - she made a very blatant display of wanting to be as accommodating as possible. With the exception of securing that banned weapons deal in Droids in Distress, despite being charged with safeguarding the Empire's industrial projects and leading the government in Pryce's absence Tua was never shown to actually take an interest in taking a pro-active role in taking control or else supporting the Grand Inquisitor or Kallus - and that sets her apart from Pryce.

I got the impression it was both Tua's unhelpful lecturing personality and lack of action which alienated Kallus strongly enough for him to despise her; she never gave him reason to develop *any* kind of personal or professional loyalty to her. She was an Imperial but wasn't 'one of the team' as it were.

Aresko and Grint weren't the most competent Imperials however they did try (as much as they were capable of) and had a better working relationship with Kallus - which naturally made them sympathetic to Kallus on a personal and professional level - and that's one of a few reasons why his reaction at their fate was starkly different to that of Tua. He very clearly wasn't amused, pleased or satisfied at the events which unfolded - and that was both before and after they got the chop.

tldr; Kallus was deeply flawed however prior to his change of heart he treated Imperials how they treated him. His personality has become softer, more easygoing since then.

He acted petty and vindictive in the past towards fellow Imperials who weren't the easiest to get along with in the first place - Tua, Tarkin, Titus and Seventh Sister. Even before his change of heart, he was on good terms with other Imperials such as Aresko, Grint, Lyste and Konstantine. Isn't that very human, to sympathise and treat people who are decent to us and do the exact opposite with people who aren't so? This is one of the many reasons I love Kallus's character because he's so very flawed but also very human. Realistic, and even sympathetic despite his past.

His character became open to change because he invested a great deal to serve the Empire over years but he was under-appreciated, under-supported - and the nail in the coffin for his loyalty was that Zeb (who had every reason to kill him) actually cared about and treated him better than his own side ever did. Would ever do.

Frankly I can't stand the notion of making Kallus a triple agent as it means we've had over 20 named but mostly under-developed Imperials - then we have Kallus the first and only Imperial who has *finally* been fleshed out (far, far later than he should have been) and made sympathetic because he's changed, only to have the writers turn around to the audience and go 'lol you dumb ******* - it was all a crock of ****.'

Also bear in mind that going the above route would be incredibly nasty and insulting to Zeb's character, particularly given his past and how the show has depicted him in a way which hasn't always been... favourable.

As much as I hate to sling around emotive words when it comes to fictional constructs, I have to say that having Zeb's compassion and forgiveness be exploited like that with Zeb made to look like a complete utter moron would be absolutely disgusting. Hasn't the character been humiliated and depicted in a shameful way long enough?

Also it's debatable as to whether pulling a stunt like that would elicit sympathy for Zeb's character - it would completely destroy any vestige of credibility or respect fans have for his character. In their eyes Zeb would be the victim who deserved what he got for being dumb enough to forgive Kallus and give him a second chance. Both characters deserve better than that.

Can't speak for all fans who want it but the idea seems popular among those with a grudge or else who have never cared for either character. *shrugs*

corinthia, Kaitan ISB021 and prlrocks like this.
  10. Meeko Ghintee

Mar 6, 2015
    I'm not against Kallus's turn. I just think it occurred too quickly and that side of him wasn't telegraphed to the audience earlier on very well. The Honorable Ones was good, it was just too quick of a turn. I really would have liked to see him metamorphose into Fulcrum after the episode rather than just flip around 180 degrees. But that's Rebels for you, great stories done at breakneck speed.

themetresgained and Danifae like this.
  11. Fuzzy ambassador

Sep 20, 2012
    :confused: Sorry to anger you Danifae. I know my opinion isn't very popular, but it's just how I feel about the character. I'm not holding a grudge against anything or anyone. I actually care very much for Zeb.

12. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I dunno, it didn't feel jarring to me. Might sound strange, but I think the fact that they didn't explain his reasons for defecting makes it more believable. I doubt it was his one encounter with Zeb that did it, it had to have been other things that happened along the way that made him change his views on the Empire.

Now if there was a character switching sides that I did feel was jarring...it would have to be Anakin Skywalker in Revenge of the Sith...

corinthia, Danifae and Meeko Ghintee like this.
  13. Meeko Ghintee

Mar 6, 2015
    I will give Kallus that. His turn is five googolplexes more believable than Anakin.

14. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
    "I'm not going to leave the empire, there's no way two tactical geniuses will figure out my brilliant plan of switching data sticks with a simpleton".

[​IMG]

15. Meeko Ghintee

Mar 6, 2015
    I really don't understand him staying. He already pushed his luck once. Even if Thrawn believed his tricks, I think one session of Lyste and one of those episode 4 torture droids would quash the whole "Lyste is Fulcrum" charade. Or, you know, a cursory look at any security tapes...

16. Charlie07

Jun 22, 2015

The whole episode is set up on the premise that they are close to catching him. The episode then builds on that by bring in ANOTHER intelligence genius to expose the traitor, and the episode finished with Yularen debunking the Lyste ruse in a minute flat.

SOOOO poor.

cwustudent and Theo333 like this.
  17. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Getting rid of Rebels Original characters will forever be a black mark on this series. Grint and Aresko going form bumbling Imperial bros to bumbling Rebel bros had peak potential. Maketh Tua going from sniveling Imperial to less sniveling but still sniveling Rebel is hilarious.

And Baron Rudor's (what happens to him?) glee from trying to murder a small child will forever warm my heart.

cwustudent likes this.
  18. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    To be fair Kallus was a joke as a villain. He would literally show up and fail, it was hilarious. I'm guessing he dies at the end of the season while the Ghost crew get away again

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Charlie07

Jun 22, 2015

I actually think this episode hurt Kallus even more than intended. Not only do we know that Kallus knows the genius of thrawn (sentry droid episode that limited the number of planets for the rebel base location), we then find out that he was trained by Yularen.

So by the end of the episode he doesn't even question the ease of outcome after framing Lyste? Yularen debunks the plan in 30 seconds flat [face_laugh], yet Kallus thinks the whole plan just fooled them? 8-}

argh. So poor.

Theo333, cwustudent and fett 4 like this.
  20. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Overconfidence in one's abilities is a common pitfall, and there are numerous examples in Star Wars. Maul, Anakin, Palpatine, and Grievous, for instance, and those were just in the films. Besides, he may suspect it didn't fool everyone in that room, but might still have to act like it did in order to keep playing this game of mental chess with Thrawn. Trying to escape now would be a much clearer admission of guilt than continuing as normal.

corinthia and La Calavera like this.
  21. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    That's why I want him to join the rebels! Maybe heroism would increase his success? [face_dunno]
    A bit annoying that the writers decided to move the goalpost: no, Kallus isn't dead...yet, but his punishment is looming. :rolleyes:

22. Brandon G

Brandon G Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2015
    GREAT!:rolleyes: Now Thrawn and the others are gonna use Kallus aka Fulcrum to their advantage[face_sigh]and when he's of no further use to them they'll KILL him! Not that he didn't deserve it in the first place ever since he and Vader had Minister Tua killed![face_frustrated]

23. prlrocks

prlrocks Jedi Master star 2

Jun 15, 2009
    Honestly,I think Kallus turning makes the Minister Tua incident even more tragic. They both were people who were loyal to the Empire and they both saw the Empire for what is was and turned against the Empire. It's just that Kallus' loyalty to the Empire lasted longer, therefore Tua become his and the Empire's enemy. That means that Kallus has the blood of someone like him on his hands. Had she lived they would both be in the same boat (former Imperials turned Rebel). It is a compelling fact and part of the reason why Kallus has become the character that interests me most in Rebels. I really wish they would/could explore things like this a bit more, but I get that we are not going to get this explored in a 22 min cartoon.

I also think that incident's like Tua could also add to why he stayed. He has a lot to redeem himself for/guilt to work through. I honestly think he is trying to make up for the past and help the Rebels as much as he can, but like Tua before him, I fear Kallus will not survive defecting from the Empire.

24. Kaitan ISB021

Feb 1, 2017

Well, Filoni totally blew my prosthetic hands theory. *sigh*

25. Kaitan ISB021

Feb 1, 2017
    I agree. Tua was different insofar as she left to save her own skin, but I do think Kallus's reason for staying could be because he has a whole lot of blood on his hands and is willing to risk his own life to make up for it.....EXCEPT that does sort of fall apart when we see him framing Lyste. The Lyste-framing is sitting ill with me. It is pre-Honorable-Ones, not post; it is distinctly dishonorable. So unless he finds a way to bust Lyste out, I find the writing of the Kallus arc to be inconsistent.