main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity (spoilers inside)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, May 9, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Middle to 3/4 back is probably ideal for both the 3D effect and the viewing of almost any movie in general.

IMAX 3D, IMO, tends to be the best quality 3D. Sony's RealD is just about as good (and is generally what I try to seek out if I have the option). Dolby's 3D tends to be the least impressive of the 3D options- it'll get the job done, but it's less likely to blow you away.

2. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Imax is supposed to be brighter

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I am watching real Time w/ Bill Maher righ tnow and one of th epanel is Neil deGrasse Tyson. If you saw one of my posts here I posted his twitter responses with one concerning his problem with a medical doctor doing something to the Hubble. As I pointed out there have been a few MD's trained as astronauts and one of them had to perform an EVA for a repair. Mr Tyson just sat there and repeated his error, and I just wonder how nusy he is to not get that information. I found in 2 minutes.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    One month later.:(:mad:

5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    The hell you waiting for?? :p

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Don't worry, you're not alone with having not seen it yet.

7. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    No. Worry.

8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I have a bunch of movies I need to see in the upcoming month though!

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It opens this Friday here in the UK. I hope to see it next week at some point.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I look forward to your review.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I saw it on the last day it was available for IMAX in my area -- Halloween -- and am glad that I went to see it. It's one of those movies that makes the most of the medium of a projected theater screen, so I found myself not caring much about plot and/or science issues (not that I'd know enough to know of any).

And yes, it was worth going to the theater alone to watch. I could've gone with other people but I'd have had to wait until after it was no longer showing on IMAX, and I thought it worth it.

Sarge and VadersLaMent like this.
  12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Alright it's my bday tomorrow, and I'm probably going to go see a movie. Which would be better, this, or Ender's Game?

13. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    I enjoyed this one better than Ender's.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Gravity >>>>>>> Ender's Game. And I saw the two of them on successive days, so.

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    So should I just see this movie, or do a double feature with EG as well?

16. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Might as well do a double. Ender's Game was pretty good but it felt...disjointed somehow. Kind of how I felt about Order of the Phoenix film. And it just kind of...ends. I read the book waaaaaaay back when so I forgot most of it. The soundtrack was good though, reminded me of Daft Punk from Tron.

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I loved loved loved the soundtrack to Tron: Legacy, so now my interest has increased!

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Gravity is all over the People's Choice Awards site. I voted.

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Saw it this morning at the local Vue cinema. I really enjoyed it. However, there was a guy in the row behind me who was bawling like a baby starting at

the scene where she left the Chinese space station and all through the re-entry

He got me going and when you wear contact lenses that isn't a good thing!

Highly recommended if you haven't seen it yet.

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The first third was superlative; the second third was very good; the last third was bordering on godawful.

I really wish they had not felt the need to put those massive speeches in Ryan's mouth at the end. The "hell of a ride" speech especially. Boy, was that stupid. Any actress worth her salt could have conveyed all those emotions with no words. What we need to know is that she's afraid but finally reaching peace about whatever happens to her. That could have been a really great scene; instead it was just a woman bellowing disconnected thoughts with no one listening.

And don't even get me started on
    when she almost ******* drowned herself
    I mean, Jesus, that would have been ignominious, right? I mean,
    how does she not know that's what's going to happen when she pops that hatch? And after all she went through to get back to Earth, she's just like, "hmm, let's open this and let fifty tons of water come battering in on me and flood the capsule, taking me to the bottom like a stone." I mean, what the hell.

On the plus side, the first two thirds are very suspenseful and vertiginous (and I didn't even see it in 3D or IMAX). I was really gripping tightly onto my seat. And both Clooney and Bullock are really, really good in this first hour or so of the movie. The direction is astonishing and the special effects are breathtaking. I was really on the edge of my seat during that whole first hour. It just went haywire after that. In my opinion.

21. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I think it's an extraordinary achievement on every level, so much so that I felt like I was having an out of body experience. Not only is it one of the most immersive films I think that's ever been made, but it completely defies the conventions of cinema itself in its conception and execution. Further, I think those that are discounting the profound nature of the story itself and Ryan Stone's character arc are severely undercutting what makes the film so emotionally effective.

My full review is here if anyone is interested.

Sarge, Frank T. and VadersLaMent like this.
  22. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    She popped the hatch because the inside of the capsule was on fire from the damage it took from re-entry and she was either going to burn to death or asphyxiate if she didn't do so.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Also, the capsule was still floating, she was trying to get out before it sank and had to keep going.

24. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Sarge likes this.
  25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Those capsules are buoyant. The reason Grissom nearly drowned is because the hatch malfunctioned and opened too early. The only reason a capsule sinks is if you let water into it. Which is exactly why she nearly drowns. Because she opened the hatch and let water into it. Plus, there's a hatch above the waterline (I'm pretty sure I saw it), as there typically is; I mean, it doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense to put a hatch below the waterline does it, what with the whole "capsule filling with water, nearly drowning astronaut" thing.

I did forget about the fire. But still, there's that hatch that's above the water line for that, I should think. I believe the capsules balanced so as to shift to a hatch above water position.