main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity (spoilers inside)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, May 9, 2013.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    You don't have to use spoiler tags at this point.

She is not going to have anyone come to get her any time soon, she is leaving the capsule and accidents happen. There is nothing odd about a buoyant thing getting tipped and filled and sinking.

ALSO, and far more important you are watching a symbol of birth, or in this case rebirth.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think we can chalk it up to her being inexperienced, under a lot of stress (even for an astronaut), and flying-- is there a better word?-- something she wasn't supposed to have to fly. It wasn't quite riding along while someone else lands a shuttle at Edwards that she was prepared for.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, if it starts to fill, then open the hatch then. But why just leap immediately to causing the worst possible thing to happen that could? It's like somebody's making you play Russian Roulette, so you just take another gun and shoot yourself. Because there's a chance it might happen, so let's just make sure that it does.

Okay, symbol of rebirth. Fine. Whatever. But that's not what I was watching. If it was what you were watching, more power to you. I was watching the movie strain credulity by attempting to shoehorn in one more scene of jeopardy and danger when the climax had already happened and I had been stuffed to the gills with scenes of jeopardy and danger. I didn't need one more that the heroine caused herself at the last possible moment. It just knocked me over the edge into disdain for that section of the film. I was just rolling my eyes. I mean, I guess it's less a problem with the character's actions and more a problem with the movie's actions. I just didn't need that sequence, felt like it was forced and unnecessary and stupid.

I'm clearly in the minority on this one. Not just here; the movie's universally beloved at this point. I get the love for the first hour. Like I say, after that, I feel it goes downhill really fast.

For instance, that scene where she's barking like a dog. I felt humiliated for her having to do that and for me having to watch it. I have rarely seen such a risible scene in a movie that had been very good to that point. That was one of the stupidest things I've seen in a movie this year. And I saw The To Do List.

4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    But it's not just what I was watching or trying to work in. The director/writer made it that way. I'm not guessing what I saw, he wrote it in there. If you wanted the most relaistic space movie ever you almost get it, but this is a movie about rebirth disguised as a space movie.

As far as her causing hersle fmore trouble with the hatch, hell, she was less than half tarined as an astronaut, 6 months vs 2 years.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Saw this finally on Tuesday. Incredible. Absolutely incredible. The soundtrack was excellent. I need to see this in 3D.

Frank T. likes this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yes you do.

As for Sandra barking like a dog at the radio, I loved that. To me, it was an amazing mix of humor, pathos, and stress, and it was totally believable for a person who has just been through life altering trauma and is afraid of facing her imminent death. One of the most moving scenes of the whole film, IMO.

7. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Sandra Bullock's barking was the best thing.
    I just read the beginning of this thread. What was with the confusion over the space shuttle being named "Explorer"? It's a fictional film with a shuttle accident; it's not going to use a real space shuttle, jeez.

8. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't know about buoyancy or balance, but Soyuz space craft are supposed to land on solid ground, not water.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Given that it's set in the future, it's likely Explorer was a Columbia replacement.

10. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I just don't get why some people can't accept the movie was set in the time of the shuttle program. There just weren't enough good shuttle movies (and I say this as a fan of SpaceCamp...if you don't like it, you just had to be there/then).

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It's not a question accept. The film gives us an ISS and a yet to be built Chinese station. Since the Chinese station exist in the film it's just a guess that it is just a bit in the future. The Explorer as I pointed out is a fictional version of a real mockup.

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I do wonder if they would make a sequel in regards to the fact that numerous satellites are now destroyed.

13. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh hell no, don't spoil a perfect film with nasty sequelses!

Everton and Sarge like this.
  14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Much better to wait ten years and rerelease in spectacular 4-D

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  16. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Saw it this afternoon. Very enjoyable but not I didn't think it was the perfect piece of cinema that a lot of reviews have said it is.

For instance, the ending is very cheesy and the Clooney hallucination strikes me as very lazy writing. Plus the background of Bullock's character with her daughter dying didn't work for me.

Besides that, a very good film that is wonderful to look at and has me on the edge of my seat pretty much from start to finish.

Bacon164 likes this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  18. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Finally got to see this on Thursday, and in IMAX 3D. Gorgeous film. Mind-boggling special effects (on occasion so beautiful you can't quite take it in), two fantastic leads (best thing Bullock has ever done) and a story - emotional arc for Ryan Stone - that pulled really pulled me in. It didn't feel artificial. Although the visuals were stunning, for me the best scene in the film was Kowalski's 'reappearance' just as Stone was running out of ideas. Of course, it was clearly an hallucination, but it was a fantastic way of showing how Stone's own mind, when it came to it, helped her out... how she got herself out of trouble because the information was in there somewhere. Splendid. Also, I couldn't help but wonder what Kowalski's 'story' would've been. :p

Great film.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm very tempted to go see it again. This time in 3D.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm not sure - at least on the big screen - that I'd want to see it in 2D.

21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I saw it in 3D and really enjoyed it. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it the same in 2D.

I jokingly expected her to get eaten by a shark when she landed in the water back on Earth. Or it would have been funny if she saw the Statue of Liberty destroyed.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Or if she ran into Amelia Earhart because she somehow winded up in the past? 8-}

23. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012