main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity (spoilers inside)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, May 9, 2013.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

Yes well, the rules of the game state that since you're so gosh darned smitten with it, YOU are the one that has to put out. A gentleman should always insist doing so, at the very least.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Gravity knows how to pleasure me better than I know how to pleasure myself. And that's saying a lot.

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Jabba, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you seem to be quite fond of this film.

4. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    sure, I guess so.

But, in a larger sense, we can not be "fond" of Gravity. Gravity validates itself far above our poor power to add or detract.

5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    IGN Review.

I'm sure Jabba will want to throttle the reviewer for not giving it a 10. But I'm sold regardless.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    My newspaper gave it 4 stars today, for whatever that's worth.

7. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Critics are free to write whatever they want of course, but they should keep in mind that they are not reviewing Gravity; Gravity is reviewing them.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  8. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Great movie. A perfect example of idea, visuals, actor, and score coming together to make a near perfect whole. The visuals are magnifico, but I found out early on that the movie needed something more to actually make be feel something about what was going on. Intense action scenes, yes, but I needed to care. Luckly that emotion does exist in this film, and Bullock really carries it all the way. I was on the edge of my seat at the end hoping she would make it.

Very possible best actress nod coming her way.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  9. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Very nice movie. Very good visuals, acting, etc... all magnificently well done.

Ending wise if it ended with Sandra finally getting to earth only to discover the earth was destroyed in a nuclear war that started after the Russian satellite blew up and she screamed and sobbed to the heavens as the camera panned to Rod Serling giving a closing narration I would not have been disappointed either.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Saw it in IMAX 3D tonight- it's amazing! It's visually stunning and just a damn tense movie that is shot brilliantly (gonna be racking my brain trying to figure out how they did some of those shots- it's almost like Labyrinth in that regards [that's right, find another review of the movie that makes THAT comparison! [face_batting]], though not to such an extreme "a wizard did it!" lengths).

It's also effective at taking the silence of space and making the carnage just as horrifying as if there had been blasting sound effects. There's also a clever supporting cameo in the film as well. A little depressing to see the last 30+ years of space flight wiped out in 90 minutes, though, heh.

Probably it's only flaw is one scene towards the end that kinda takes the audience out of the picture, but it recovers excellently.

11. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    May see it tomorrow. I have heard good reviews everywhere.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Wow.

Saw it in IMAX 3D. I'm not down with the 3D trend, but this was as good a use as possible of it. It also stood in stark contrast to the flat, lifeless 3D Hobbit trailer attached to the film.

I don't really have much of an opinion of Sandra Bullock's acting abilities one way or the other, but I can say she absolutely carried the movie well.

I have a pretty decent fear of heights, so there were points where my palms got sweaty and my fists clenched. This movie was probably more terrifying to me than all the "horror" films I've seen combined and multiplied by 100.

It's so refreshing to see a good movie in theaters. A good sci-fi movie at that. There were some small things I could take issue with, but I don't even care. I am happy to have walked out of a theater not feeling disappointed.

Frank T. likes this.
  13. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Just got home, back from seeing Gravity in 3D. Superb! Awesome! This will surely win a few Oscars, at least for special effects. First time in a long time, a film left me scratching my head wondering, how did they do this!?

14. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Saw it last night. Great to see a good original idea for once in Hollywood, especially about sci-fi.

Worth the 17 dollar admission to IMAX 3D.

15. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    I like a comment by Clooney's character in the film, that the world would now be without Facebook, or somesuch.

That would make an interesting tangential story, what would happen if all the satellites were destroyed, and the impact on modern society...

16. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Today I'm in for a second look in IMAX 3D at Navy Pier.

Though I worry that no screen could be large enough to contain Gravity.

17. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    I can't believe that Sandra Bullock is 49!

She looked so delicious in her space panties! ;)

18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    *Ducks in hiding his eyes to avoid spoilers*

I'll be seeing this today at noon in 3D E3.

19. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    And to think I was worried that Gravity might be sequel proof.

20. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Well, there was Speed 2! ;)

21. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Although Gravity lacks the iconic melody of the classic John Williams themes, the musical score borders on greatness in the way it serves as ersatz sound design. "Debris" and "the Void" are mesmerizing and help make the opening minutes of the film among the best in any movie ever.

22. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    With more than $17 million thu fri it's on track for one of the highest October openings ever.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Some people are saying that it's outselling Avatar in 3D ticket sales. Holy ****.

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i saw it last night in 2d. it was still an impressive and enjoyable work of art, but i would definitely echo the people who said if at all possible you should see it in 3d. it was so clearly set up to be a 3d viewing experience throughout the entire film that it was kind of distracting at times.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Grrr I may as well have to see this in 3D.