main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Alien 5 by Neil Blomkamp (cancelled)

Discussion in 'Community' started by spicer, Jan 2, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    To be fair, I think it's obvious he was only helping out his friend Arnold by saying that. He doesn't have any qualms about disliking Alien 3 (though he defends his friend Fincher in the process).

I'm actually surprised to see him give good words to TSCC as a point of comparison (when discussing Avatar sequels and how it can't be turned into a TV series) despite Arnie not being in it (I mean, the show earns that praise ten fold but he's usually not motivated to comment on stuff he or his friends aren't involved in).

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Neil confirms Alien 5 is dead.

“I think it’s totally dead, yes. That would be an accurate assumption at this point. It’s sad. I spent a long time working on that, and I feel like it was really pretty awesome. But politically, the way it’s gone now, and the way that it all is, it’s just not going to live.

Ridley [Scott] was one of my idols growing up. He’s so talented and he’s made this film that really set me off in a direction. I want to just be as respectful and not go stamping around in this world that he created. I think that if the circumstances were different, and I didn’t feel like I was getting too close to something that he obviously feels a massive personal connection to, that things that may have played out differently. But I did want to be as respectful as possible.”

TX-20 likes this.
  3. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Huzzah!

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's for the best, I wouldn't want the good name of the franchise that gave us the timeless classic Alien: Resurrection potentially ruined.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think there's room in the series for both films but obviously Scott does not and Fox is probably like "eh, we can only keep one of these going instead of two at the same time." But if Scott drops off from Alien, or finishes his story, I can see maybe Fox dragging this up again. Remember, the Wonder Woman director was on the same movie and 10 years later they went back to her.

Instead of dead, I'd hopefully call it deep hypersleep, drifting past the core systems. It'll be blind luck if a salvage team finds it.

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm sure at some point the studio will revisit Blomkamp's Alien ideas. Especially if the film could be done with a modest budget, and probably release the film in a non-summer blockbuster month.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Surely the director of classics such as Elysium and Chappie should be given the reigns to a semi-beloved franchise? A travesty, I say.

BigAl6ft6 and TX-20 like this.
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I actually like Chappie.

BigAl6ft6 and TX-20 like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I like all of his movies but the last two certainly hasn't paid off the potential demonstrated in District 9. Although Chappie was nicely bonkers.

10. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I feel sorry for the fans that wanted the second two films in the Ripley Saga to not exist via official canon instead of just their head canon.