main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Alien 5 by Neil Blomkamp (cancelled)

Discussion in 'Community' started by spicer, Jan 2, 2015.

1. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Drac39 and Ender Sai like this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    That article is dumb. I basically like Alien3 but it never needed to exist, the films could have moved on with just Ripley but even if her extended family hung on so what? The first two films had Ripley in the midst of other characters. Dumb article.

Abadacus likes this.
  3. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Aliens doesn't need to exist either. No sequel does. I am glad that the Alien franchise has the balls to be different with each installment.

4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Sure, but that article is stupid.

Abadacus and TX-20 like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I've always said that killing off Newt and Hicks (and basically Bishop and by the end Ripley) makes for a crummy sequel to "Aliens" but works in "Alien 3" as a self-contained piece. The point I see of Alien 3 is that it strips Ripley down to nothing, just her, the alien and "the %$&ing company". By killing off her defacto family rather brutally where she literally can't do a damn thing about it, it isolates her more. Then her only friend, the Doctor, is yanked away from her right after she's actually found some comfort! Also by killing off the Aliens characters we do get great burial scene and Ripley "plugging in" Bishop which does sort of tragically recall "Aliens" in it's own way. So by the end when "Friendly Bishop" shows up, and we haven't seen the "Aliens" characters all movie, you're almost inclined to believe him!

It's not a happy ending, Alien 3 is probably the darkest movie and for this series that's saying something, but it's where Ripley's story ends, all alone on her own. Which fits in how dark Alien 3 is. It just kinda feels cheap watching it side-by-side with Aliens.

Abadacus and Drac39 like this.
  6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Does Game of Thrones feels cheap when Ned Stark is killed by the end of season 1? Like Game of Thrones, the Alien franchise is not family friendly.

rumsmuggler, Ender Sai and TX-20 like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Blomkamp and Weaver talk Alien! Whole lotta words thrown around like "proper ending" and a complete story from Alien to Aliens to Alien 5. Basically confirming ignoring A3 / AR. Which I'm 95% okay with. Just gimmie a throwaway line about hypersleep and nightmares or VR simulators or whatever, I'm good.

The Chappie publicity tour is in full swing so I expect a few more tidbits tossed out.

Abadacus and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  8. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I didn't much care for Elysium, but District 9 was fantastic and I can't wait to see Chappie. A Blomkamp-led Alien film is definitely intriguing. I loved his concept art and I look forward to seeing his vision on the franchise.

In regards to Alien 3: I liked the "assembly cut" included in the Blu-Ray anthology, but it's clear that the official definitive version is the inferior theatrical cut. If they decide to scrap it, I certainly won't shed any tears. I won't even mention the abomination known as Resurrection...

I still want to see a Prometheus 2 though...

9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Sharlto Copley could play Ripley

BigAl6ft6, Master_Lok and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I think it's funny that a sequel or two can be so bad that film makers can just go, "Ok, we'll just reboot from riiiiight HERE."

BigAl6ft6 and Lazy Storm Trooper like this.
  11. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Alien 3 ain't bad. It has it's faults, but most of the hate it gets it's because some people couldn't and still can't get over the deaths of Newt and Hicks.

TX-20 likes this.
  12. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Confirmation that this will be the Superman Returns of the Alien franchise.

13. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I keep pointing this out, but if you haven't read this:

[​IMG]

... and if the movie is anything like this, it will be glorious.

Sniper_Wolf likes this.
  15. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    It's been ages since I've read this. The only thing I remember is the awesome art it had.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope Neil has learned to never EVER EVER NEVER cast Wagner Maura in anything he directs ever again. God he was just unbelievably awful in Elysium.

"Hey YOU WANNA get to THAT PLANET? You're GONNA HAVE to TOLERATE my horrific SPEECH SPASMS BLARGAH BLARGAH!!!!!!!!"

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    This sounds so boring that just thinking about it makes me drowsy.

18. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Eh, I'm at the point where I just want a good movie regardless of retconning sequels/FEAR THE GRIM-DARK!/insert whatever fanboy neurosis we may suffer from (insert pot calling the kettle black before someone hits me with it). I hope who ever made the changes from the assembly cut of Alien 3 to the theatrical version was properly bludgeoned with the super queen facehugger prop because who ever thought the theatrical cut was superior to the assembly cut must have had the low quality studio cocaine that day (75% paint thinner, 20% urine, and 5% coke). Really, so the franchise based on male rape and Lovecraftian horror went in a dark direction? The shock! [face_beatup] Alas, Fincher's filmography has won out over Cameron in the long run so I'm just beating a dead point. :p

Give me a good film. I'll be on-board with the changes. If not, I still have my Cubed and Resurrection blu-rays.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. spicer

Nov 14, 2012

Neil says he doesn't want to undo Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If not undoing A3 / AR, then we're looking at a story featuring the Ripley 8 Clone from AR. And, I dunno, time travelling frozen Hicks? Who was yanked out of the Sulacco before it crashed?

Weaver did mention, twice I've seen so far, that the series was left "in space" or "hanging in the air", which is literally how Alien Resurrection ended so maybe it's the Ripley 8 clone afterall. (Even though, according to Alien Resurrection Weyland-Yutani were bought out by Wal-Mart. Nice one, Whedon)

There's always the hypersleep nightmare angle, or VR simulations or whatever, but that is still effectively undoing Alien 3 & Alien: Resurrection.

I'm still pulling for a throwaway retcon explanation but not hinging my enjoyment of the entire movie on it.

Fun alien Resurrection factoid: Weaver hit that no-look-behind-her-head basket entirely on her own, not a camera trick.

21. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Re Hicks: Perhaps the real terror of the film will be including Aliens: Colonial Marines in the canon.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Give me a reason to finally buy it for 5 bucks!

23. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    That would be the dumbest, cheapest, laziest retcon/explanation ever. I consider Blompkamp to be smarter than that.
    [​IMG]

24. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Trust me, that game is not worth at all, even if they paid you to play it

25. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Oh boy, my dreams of an Alien film that retcons Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection away into the ether and has a grown-up Newt take up the Xenomorph-hunting torch from Ripley is closer to coming to fruition....