Alien bust.

Discussion in 'Scifi 3D Forum' started by FruityTooty, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FruityTooty Jedi Master

star 4
    Over the past two months at the DAVE SChool, I've been learning me some Lightwave, and how to effectively use it in a production environment to deliver a product by a deadline in a real-world setup with "clients." I hadn't touched Lightwave until this fall, and up until now have pretty much only used it for hard surface modelling and rendering stuff. This is our second organic modelling project.

Rick Baker is essentially the special effects guy when it comes to creature movies. You will not believe this IMDb list, check it out. As it turns out, my teacher knows him, and asked him to go find us something cool to model. He went out to the studio, and came back with some pictures of this guy. Per the requirements of the project, I made this in five days during class. This is a photo-real (save for texturing) rendition of an original bust that was made for Men in Black.

[image=http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/1478/bakeralien1ve1.jpg]

Had five days to model, used about four modelling, and today was just rendering it. There's no coloring or texturing done, save for colored lights and a slight wrinkly bump map, we were supposed to make a model and we only had so much time to do it, so I didn't waste any effort (or time) on UV mapping it and stuff. Met deadline, came home, and posted this.

lemme know what ya think. [face_dancing]
  2. fireresq7 Jedi Master

star 4
    Looks really good, even without coloring
  3. JeneralJarJar Jedi Knight

star 1
    It looks like you might have some overlapping polys below the eyes - dunno, its hard to tell. But otherwise it looks good. Reminds me of the Neimoidians. Nice to see some more organic modeling around here.
  4. FruityTooty Jedi Master

star 4
    Nope, there's no overlapping polys anywhere on the model. Tomorrow or, at latest, Monday, I'll post a wireframe of the subpatch so you guys can check it out. Spent a good two days making sure every single polygon flowed correctly on the model so it'll deform correctly and animate like a charm.

(All that, and I have no intention of rigging the face. Or finishing the body. Or, yeah, ever animating it at all. Heh. [face_whistling] )

Anyway, thanks dude.
  5. George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum

VIP
    star 4
    Looks pretty good for your first model in 3D. You have samples of all this compositing/matte painting work you've done to date? IT says you worked on Pink-5 too. Looks like you're gonna pick up 3D work pretty quickly.
  6. FruityTooty Jedi Master

star 4
    You can see a few examples of my older compositing and Pink Five stuff (as well has a handful of mattework) in my demo reel, which is a big link on my MySpace page here. Most of what you'll see there in the way of mattework is set extension, sky replacement, that sort of thing, I've also created elements for Pink Five (painted an Endor, covered a clean X wing with a year's worth of Dagobah debris, stuff like that) since this reel was made that will likely make it onto my next one, whenever that gets cut together.
  7. Cryptite_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah but why do you have red hair?
  8. Kchr1ss Jedi Knight

star 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.