Alien resurrection - inspirational or pointless?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by General_Veers05, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    It's interesting to observe that, shy Ryder's character, a lot of people here seem to like the various characters of the film, feeling that film is diminished after their respective favorite is killed. Spread around, it bodes hidden favor of the film to some degree.

Of course, everyone also universally loathes the Newborn... ;)
  2. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    i wish there was a way to just wipe the newborn out of the Alien timeline.
  3. Darth_Berserker Jedi Youngling

star 3
    what ever happened to the rumoured alien 5 set on earth?? i liked alien 4. except i would agree the hybrid was kind of a bit silly
  4. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Well, the two leading premises for Alien 5 that have floated around the past near-decade have been either A) Aliens on Earth, continuing where Resurrection left off; or B) Ridley Scott's idea of exploring the origins of the Xenomorphs and the Space Jockey race.

Who knows, the two concepts might not mutually exclusive, as it could be feasible to combine the two plotlines. (I recall someone (probably Syntax ;) ) mentioning there being an Aliens comic, pre-Alien 3's creation, that was basicly a sequel to Aliens with Newt, Hicks and Ripley on Earth fighting the Aliens and the Space Jockeys show up and help us.

Maybe something along those lines could be applicated to the future-future presented in AR.
  5. General_Veers05 Jedi Knight

star 2
    yeah, hmm interesting concept, but then again, i think the fans would be annoyed to say the least because of the "quadrilogy" boxset - costing (in some cases with the alien head holder) over £100...plus i think they should leave the Alien films alone. 1-3 were classics, the 4th was quite a letdown, but i think a 5th would be scraping the idea too far...

But thats only my opinion:)

6. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I think fans would kill to have Scott (or, for that matterm Cameron) involved in the franchsie again. I seriously doubt anyone would complain about a Ridley/A5 movie ::)
  7. JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan

star 4
    They should have let the series end as a trilogy with Ripley making the ultimate sacrifice to prevent the queen in her body from surviving.

Even though the third one is my least favorite of the first three, it still has a flow to it that lets you know that this is part of the Ripley/Alien story.

The fourth one just seems out of place. I suppose the whole cloning thing seemed kind of forced and contrived to me; like they were just looking for an excuse to do a sequel.

However, I did like the one scene where the two Aliens turn on the other Alien to use it's blood to melt through the floor providing an easy escape. That scene by itself added some additional meaning to Ashes speech --

"The perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its HOSTILITY.

"You admire it."

"I admire its purity. A SURVIVOR unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality."
  8. rumsmuggler Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Maybe Scott or Cameron will decide to not recongize Alien 4 or possibly 3, depending on if they want to go in a different direction with Ripley and/or Hicks( kinda like Singer making Superman Returns a sequel to the first two films and not recognizing the last films) and come out with a strong story. I doubt it will happen, but oh well.

Edit: I liked Alien 3 but, i have read the various screenplays that weren't picked to be filmed and some were better than the theatrical version of 3. Some of the alien novels were pretty good as well and could have made for a good film.
  9. sarlaccpit_48 Jedi Youngling

star 1

See the studio was afraid that if they didn't have Sigourney Weaver, the movie would fall apart. Just like how Predator 2 did without Arnold Swarcheneger, but then the studio learned that if you take out Sigourney Waever and Arnold Swarcheneger and then put Alien and Predator together, you have a half decent movie, that could have been better.
  10. rumsmuggler Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I liked Predator 2. It wasn't as good as the first but it was pretty entertaining and a bit comedic with plenty of silly one-liners.

"Want some candy?"

lol
  11. General_Veers05 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yep...well said, i for one would not compalain. Here's anoter thought. What if Alien was digitally remastered?
  12. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    I doubt either of them would come back, or if the studio could afford to employ them these days - they are not exactly struggling for work, are they ;)

13. General_Veers05 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Good point...

we certainly would'nt want jean-paul de juenette or whatever his name is to try and carry on the series would we?
  14. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    What do you mean? It's probably been remastered and restored a few times- particularly for the Director's Cut that was in theaters a couple years ago and is now on the Quadrilogy set.
  15. sarlaccpit_48 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Belive it or not, but Scott has talked about being involed in a 5th, but to direct. He talked about that we could see the alien's home planet.
  16. Panther50 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I would love to see another Alien movie and there are tonnes of stories you could tell in that universe. The makers just have to realise that an alien movie doesn't have to have Ripley in it. Its not that hard to come up with new interesting characters just put some thought into it.
    But I'd rather see a new Predator movie first.
  17. KissMeImARebel Jedi Master

star 5
    I could see Cameron persuaded to take up the reins again...not that I thought that was a good idea for T3....
  18. General_Veers05 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I totally agree, so much more stuff - but what? I could'nt come up with a story (not that I'm a director), but i don't think that directors could come up with a story carrying it on without ripley or carrying on from ALien resurrection would (or could) end up half the film running away from the military and escaping off earth and "stumble" across the zenomorphs again...plus with Sigourney weaver aging gracefully - she certainly is'nt getting any younger put it that way..

Did that make sense8-}
  19. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    unless Alien V was set in the timegap between Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection, I would think Alien V would almost have to include Super-Ripley to some extent (as well as Call, for that matter), if only to continue having each film flow into the other). Even if she was only there at the start as a cameo, they'd have to have her in there, unfortunately.
  20. Panther50 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Wasn't the period between Alien3 and Resurection supposed to be like 200 years give or take. I'd say thats more then enough time for another story to take place without having Ripley involved. Though if they did go for a continuation of the Resurrection story, I'd give Ripley a small cameo kill her off then just carry on with other actors.
  21. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    She's already died once- I'd say let her ride off to parts unknown.
  22. sarlaccpit_48 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Hey everyone why can't we be just like Michael Bay.

Mcheal Bay want's to reamke FRIDAY THE 13, one of the greatest slasher films of all time. Why the hell would he remake it when there has been 12 movies already including FREDDY VS. JASON and there's another one on the way. Not only would he throw off the story of Jason Voorhees, he would make a lot of FRIDAY THE 13 fans really angry. Including Kim Jong Il the dictator of North Korea (Also a huge FRIDAY THE 13 fan)

So why don't we all just take a page from Michael Bay's book and take a successful movie francise, such as ALIEN and just remake it.

23. General_Veers05 Jedi Knight

star 2
    i smell something....

AVP

duh
  24. YoungAngus Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Meh. Thought the film had some cool characters. Baby Alien was kinda cute; I don't know if that's the reaction the producers of the film wanted though...
  25. General_Veers05 Jedi Knight

star 2
    The newborn IS NOT CUTE

People HATE the newborn

Need I say more?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.