Alien resurrection - inspirational or pointless?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by General_Veers05, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    They should have never killed off Hicks in Alien 3. I remember one of the scripts to alien 3 and he was the main character in it.
  2. Panther50 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah Hicks was a great character. That movies sounds like an interesting idea, I don't think you really need Ripley but if you have to include her that would be the way to do it. It would be great to see an all out battle between two alien hives.
  3. 114 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have an inspirational idea!

How about no fifth movie at all? [face_dancing]
  4. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I like the idea of bringing the Ripley character full circle- would help better integrate Alien Resurrection into the mythos instead of the detached endcap feeling it gives right now.

They'd have to change the name though- I'd just think of that Discovery Channel special from last year. Alien Hive or Alien: Hive Wars would work better.
  5. Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling

star 7
    For me, this franchise died at 2. Aliens 3, and 4 are just alternate takes on the Alien films.

The comics that took place after Aliens from Dark Horse and had Hicks and Newt alive were much better than this.
  6. General_Veers05 Jedi Knight

star 2
    yeah, i reckon that alien 1 and 2 were teh best and that teh quadrilogy reached its peak at 2. However, alien 3 (as people have posted) would be much better if they kept hicks or if they changed alien 2 so that more marines survived (like vasquez and apone etc.)Who i think would clash with the prisoners - plus with the addition of weapons to Alien 3.

I did like most of the acting in alien resurrection. Ron Pearlman was great - possibly the best. I was a little disappointed at how sigourney weaver played her "trademark character" ripley - i thought the her performance was little more than average compared her acting in alien 1, 2 and even 3. Maybe thats how the character was suppsoed to be though...because the clone ipley is so much different than the previous ones - because of all the alien fusing with her etc. Or maybe sigourney was just getting tired - and old
  7. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    I do like the 'getting old' aspect. Considering (in canon) she was frozen in suspended animation immediately after Alien, so clearly was (and looked) older in Aliens. Again she's frozen at the end of Aliens but looks older again in Alien3 (which obviously Weaver was. Weaver is even older in Alien Ressurrection, but I'm not sure how the 'born from DNA' works. She was cloned from herself in Alien3, but I suppose you could argue that because they used cloning techniques which 'grew' her quickly (Jango Fett clones?) she could technically be any 'age' in Alien Ressurrection.
  8. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Thinking about it now, one flaw in that Alien Planet concept is that the presence of these hives out there makes the need to clon them in AR somewhat unnecessary, and would lose the evolution of the more intelligent xenomorphs AR introduced.
  9. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    They probably don't know where the xenomorph homeworld is, and that is why they cloned Ripley to get the aliens.
  10. DarthAJ Jedi Master

star 4
    Plus even if they did know where the homeworld was it wold have taken decades to get there and it would just be easier and faster to get them from Ripley.
  11. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    2nd, you could almost argue about an evolution aspect where there are various planets inhabited by Aliens which have had different degrees of evolution - ie some smarter than others.

Could almost have a plot where an evolved race of aliens were farming, or slaving less evolved aliens. Perhaps more of a humanoid alien, no tail, less of a phalic head etc etc.
  12. Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling

star 7
    How about an army of Ripley Clones fighting an army of Aliens?
  13. DarthAJ Jedi Master

star 4
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Are you serious?

That's like multiplying the stupidity of 'Resurrection' times a hundred.
  14. Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling

star 7
    ^Can't be any worse than Aliens VS Predator 2.
  15. Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Actually it is.
  16. General_Veers05 Jedi Knight

star 2
    ...AVP 1 was crap...so what should be expect form number 2...more crap?
  17. severian28 Force Ghost

star 5
    Pointless, really, if you think about. They pulled out the cheesiest trick in sequel handbook ( resurrection ) and made a movie. Its a shame, too, because the film did actually have quality ensemble acting ( besides Weaver, and Ill get to that ) and some really stunning cinematography. Honestly, Sigourney Weaver taking a pay check is the reason this movie sucks, plus the plot which completely revolves around the Ripley character. An Alien movie ( and not the loathsome AvP ) set in the same time as Resurrcetion, same ship as Resurrection, with the same cast as Resurrection minus Weaver, with a completely different story wouldve been a much better movie.
  18. General_Veers05 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Even with Ryder's character "call"...

heres a true story...i used to like Winona's character when i first seen the movie, but i went off teh idea of a android that "burned" her own modem...probabaly cos the internet connection was AOL...LMAO!!![face_laugh]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.