main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Alien vs Predator: Requiem by Bryan Tyler

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Trentman359, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trentman359

Trentman359 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2002
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=201285834

Clips from Tyler's score. I liked what I heard. Its simple action music but I thought it was fun. I don't really know Tyler's work but I might pick this up, after I see the movie of course.

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    I have the entire score already. [face_mischief] Lets just say this blows Alien Vs. Predator's score out of the water. This Brian Tyler truly respects the original scores of Alien 1-3 and Predator 1-2. Lot of homages to them with his own twists on them. I look forward to seeing this play out on the screen.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Brian Tyler's been very prolific and very hit-and-miss, but for my money he's still one of the very best of the next generation of film composers. This has been one of my most anticipated scores of the year (which isn't necessarily saying much), and the double-whammy of having the Alien score released at the same time -- yay!

This year has been unexceptional in film scores, but it seems to be pretty back-heavy, with this one, The Golden Compass, Mr. Magorium all coming in the last month or two of the year, and let's hope for something exceptional from James Newton Howard as well. . .

4. Trentman359

Oct 18, 2002
    So is the score worth the purchase?

5. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    I admit, that the regular release of Goldsmith's Aliens is the only Aliens score I own, and I haven't heard any of the Predator scores, so I can't really say how this sounds in comparison to those. However, I have heard quite a few people saying that there are many homages and hints of themes from many of the previous scores. I'm listening to it right now, and have just placed my order with Amazon. It's really good and I typically don't care for Tyler.

Since I'm not that familiar with the previous scores, I would say if you like the loud chaotic action from stuff like Don Davis' Matrix Revolutions (particularly tracks like "Saw Bitch Workhorse"), I think you'll like this.

6. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    yes

7. Trentman359

Oct 18, 2002
    Im in the mood for a loud chaotic action score.[face_skull]

8. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    What are people's thoughts after seeing the film and hearing the score go along with it?

9. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    The score was about one of the only reasons I walked out smiling. It made me appreciate how much the music of these films represents the characters, and how lacking the original AVP film lacked a decent score to represent both the Aliens and the Predators.

10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It's a pretty decent score..

11. andy1044

andy1044 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2006
    Brian Tyler is consistently becoming more awesome.

I'm also facebook friends with him, not that that means anything.

12. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    I'll probably buy this on iTunes. His Rambo suite on his myspace sounds fantastic as well.

Plus, he's hot. Uh, I meant handsome in a straight way. :oops:

13. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    This is a loud robust score -- I'd recommend not iTunes for this one.

Is there any word on whether Rambo's going to be released? The movie comes out this month yet there seems to be no word of any score release yet . . . surely Varese could fit this one into their schedule. . .

EDIT: Nevermind. Lionsgate's got it. Coming out Feb. 5. Preordered.

14. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    I actually agree! Most film composers aren't all that great looking, but Tyler looks like some pin-up boy... in a straight way.

I also enjoyed the film and thought his score was terrific!

15. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    The movie was pretty awful but the score did stand out as one of the few decent things about the film. I was worried about temp-tracking but it didn't stand out too much and the references to the original scores were fun to pick out. There was the finale cue that was clearly modeled after the final moments of Horner's Star Trek II score, but other than that it was a solid, functional score.

I also liked the return of the echoplexed percussion from Predator.

16. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Not a fan of the Alien films, the Predator films, or their music. But I got dragged along to see the film this evening. I thought the music did what it was supposed to do, but I wouldn't go any further than that. You hear the same sort of thing week in week out in BBC dramas.

What DID stick out though was the blatent rip off of Silence of the Lambs when they first go to the hospital.

17. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Respectfully disagree. I think it's getting harder to find good, thoughtful, balls-to-the-wall action writing anymore.

18. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Maybe just in Britain then :p

19. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Maybe. Debbie Wiseman needs some high-profile assignments!

20. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Am I missing something? :confused: I've only been using iTunes for the past few weeks (and only then to transfer my CDs to my ipod), so I wouldn't know its strengths and weaknesses too well.

21. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    In generally, iTunes compression is not all that great. Small file sizes, but low bitrates (128 kbps) (if it's marked iTunes Plus, it's 256 kbps, so a bit better). Maybe okay for pop music or blasting over a car speaker system, but as far as getting full range and level of detail in an intricate instrumental piece, forget it. I go with iTunes sometimes because of price or convenience, but any music I consider must-have, I'll track down the CD. I've been burned more than once by getting a score from iTunes and finding it sounding flat or just not working for me, only to find that it's much more robust and clear when I hear it from a better source. That said, there are some scores I've gotten from iTunes that sound perfectly fine to me, so it's really a crapshoot. But both Stardust and Ratatouille, for instance, didn't work for me until I heard them not from iTunes.

22. Trentman359

Oct 18, 2002
    If its music you feel you must own you should always track down the cd. I recently had a computer crash and lost everything I bought from iTunes. $68 down the drain. I learned my lesson, always buy cds.

23. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    Or backup your harddrive. ;)

24. Trentman359

Oct 18, 2002
    Another lesson learned.:oops:

25. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    [image=http://www.dealhack.com/archives/img/20070529/fantomdrivesgforce_1tbusbdrive.jpg]

Is your friend. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.