main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ALIEN

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by jayplate, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayplate

jayplate Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2006
    just wondering what you guys thought of the ALIEN movies

2. Obiyodawinduvader

Obiyodawinduvader Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2005
    Never seen them. :D

Obiy!

3. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    I've seen the first one and some other ones. I was pretty young at the time, so they scared the crap out of me.

4. jayplate

jayplate Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2006
    id say the first one is the best its basically the only one i watch, then the 2nd was pretty good,it wasnt as creative as the first. it just seemed more like an 80s action movie. the other two i didnt care much for

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I was 11, home alone for a bit, at night with the lights out when I first saw this on HBO. When he crawled down to the lower level in the air ducts and the Alien jumped out at him I jumped completly off the couch and had to turn the lights on to watch the rest of it.

6. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    The first 2 films are masterpieces. Alien has not only scary monsters, but there's a lot of Hitchcock type suspense in it.

Aliens is fantastic though, great supporting cast and is one of those rare instances where the sequel, in a lot of ways, is better than the first.

I've never had any love for the third film, I didn't like the story at all. The fourth was alright, but ultimately forgettable.

7. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Alien wasn't bad, Aliens was excellent, as far as 80's sci-fi goes (not like it's Star Wars, or anything :p), Alien Resurrection was ludicrous, and Alien3 can never be forgiven-they killed Hicks! (nuff said).

On a side note, Ripley needs to die a definitive death and be replaced by some other (preferrably male, for once) character.

8. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Alien = Great horror movie. Truly a classic. Great characters, great villains, and great score by Jerry Goldsmith. Highly recommended.

Aliens = A Masterpiece. One of my favorite films ever. How often is a sequel better than the original. It doesn't happen that often. The characters were awesome. Ripley evolved. The plot was written well. I'm getting the Quadrilogy next week as a belated Christmas present. I can't wait. Wide screen directors cut of this film. Sweet. Queen Alien was awesome. James Horner did an awesome job with the score.

Alien 3 = Not as good as the other two, but not a bad movie. Ripley is solid and so is the alien. My only gripe is that it wasn't Earth. It should have been. Like a Prison Colony in Antarctica or something. That would have spiced up the danger. Also the fact that they wrote off Newt and Hicks sucked. But the ending was nice for the trilogy. Elliot Goldenthal really helped this movie with the score.

Alien Ressurection = Piece of crap. Ripley once again is an interesting character, but everyone else sucks in this film. Really. So stereotypical. The experimentation room was cool, but the rest of it...blah. I don't remember the score to this one. John Frizzel?

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    great set of films. one of my favorite sagas of all time. only one question about the entire series though. how does the alien egg get on the Sulaco in Alien 3????[face_thinking]

10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I liked the first three, but a few parts of the last films. I haven't seen the director's cut of three yet, but I plan to sometime soon. The aliens are a oddly nice looking and vicious looking species(i'm a bit of a fan of H.R. Giger's art), except for the hybrid freak of an alien/human mix that was born in the final portion of resurrection. That thing was just ugly and ungainly.

11. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Alien 3 has the most cut footage out of all the Alien movies. most of it was put in the director's cut dvd

12. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I liked all of them except for Ressurrection

I still consider Aliens to be James Cameron`s best

13. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Alien I and II - AWESOME.

Alien III, IV, and AVP - What the crap.

14. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Oh yeah. I forgot about Alien VS Predator. I guess it was so bad I mentally blocked it from my mind. Oh well.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The only things I liked about Alien4 were the space pirates, their ship the Betty, and the underwater scene. The space pirate capatain was cool, and I love the chit chat scene between Elton and the General.

16. MIK2005

MIK2005 Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2006
    I concur with Jedi_Commander_Faofa

17. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Alien 3 wasn't that bad. it was a lot better then Alien Resurrection

18. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003

Fixed

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    you actually like Alien Resurrection?o_O

20. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    yeah I did actually I thought it had a great cast and I thought it was alot of fun......I thought the flesh alien was ridicoulous.......but other than that

21. PICTURETHIS

PICTURETHIS Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2006
    The first one really holds up on its own, and the second one was a surprise and has integrity. Now, as for the later sequels, it's got to quit. They're just KILLING IT. They really need to stop trying to put something else in the mix, because it just keeps getting worse and with that last one, where the two franchises(that's really strange, none of the original films were for the non-adult demographics, which is why it will NEVER recapture the mood or tension, it never will)were brought together and helmed by Anderson(?) he pretty much left his mark and it is a black, billowing, enormous heap of smoke. Very punishing. It can't be done in this era of commerciality and to recapture the original vein is difficult if not impossible because of said 'commerciality'.

22. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    What if they made a Terminator Alien that instead of being disguised as a human was disguised as an Alien, because see Skynet is restarted by the Alien corporation so that they can use the technology to defeat the Predators who have cloned dinosaurs and are invading the galaxy in an epic showdown?

23. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Instant masterpiece... I hear Stanley Kubrick is directing it.

But my opinion:

Alien: Awesome
    Aliens: Super-Awesome
    Alien 3: No...
    Alien Ressurection: Meh..
    Aliens vs. Predator: No words can describe the hate and spite I have for this film. Out of every movie I have ever seen (and I have seen a LOT) this takes the winner as my #1 most hated movie ever... Don't ask why, it just is.

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Around 1997 or 1998, there was an Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator mini-series. I **** you not.

25. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    I got the Alien Quadrilogy last week and ended up watching the first 3 films again. I didn't like Alien 3 as much as I thought I did in the past. I mean I always considered it below Alien and Aliens, but the extended cut didn't make me like it very much.

1) I still hate the fact that it didn't take place on Earth. Earth was the next logical step in the progression of the Alien films. The big fear was that the Aliens would make it to Earth and thus for the final film, you'd think making the worst fear a reality would be a good idea. Instead it's a backwater prison planet that ends the trilogy. The balance is just way off. You know what it felt like? It felt like Return of the Jedi or Beyond Thunderdome. ROTJ's big battle in a perfect world would have been on Coruscant. The heart of the Empire. Not some backwater forest planet with Ewoks. Thunderdome was a film that started off not involving Mad Max at all. It was just some post apocalyptic story they wanted to make. Then someone said "let's make it a mad max film!" Thus the reason why it doesn't seem to line up with the other two films. The prison planet idea felt like it was a completely different movie all together that they merged with Aliens. Granted the prison planet idea is much better than that stupid monks on a wooden planet idea for an alien film, but damn did they drop the ball on the location.

2) I didn't like the animation of the alien. Of course at the time, it probably looked great. But it certainly doesn't stand the test of time. Which says something since Alien and Aliens do.

3) I couldn't tell one prisoner from the next. They all looked the same.

4) It wasn't a scary film. Aliens at least had scary moments though it was more of an action film than a horror film.

5) Hicks and Newt's cheap deaths. I think after watching Aliens, their write off is horrible to watch. Especially for Hicks since he doesn't even got an autopsy scene to really rub his death in. I like the idea that the first film was a horror film, the second was an action film, and third was a tragedy, but did Hicks really have die right away? I mean maybe Newt could have been killed off early to set the tone and since Carrie Henn had aged, but maybe Hicks could have survived to the half way point in place of Dr. Clemens.

6) I couldn't figure out how many Face huggers there were at the start. I mean we see one, but I thought that after they lay the egg in someone, they wander off and die. But this one survives to impregnate the bull?

7) The company sent the real Bishop to greet Ripley as a welcome face. But why do they think she would have welcomed that face? I mean Ash tried to kill her. They know this. Thus the scene in Aliens when she learns Bishop is an Android seems so evil because it's clear that they knew she might have a problem with one of the androids but didn't care. I hardly believe Burke when he says it was an oversight. They knew.

8) Dr. Clemens beds Ripley. While I understand that both hadn't had sex in years, it still seems premature. Especially for Ripley who just lost Newt and "Dwayne." Sure one is vulnerable during times of grief to do things that seem uncharacteristic of oneself, but damn. It just seemed cold.

9) The Alien won't kill Ripley. Then at the end when it's been hit with the lead, he darts right for her as if he's trying to kill her.

10) With extended edition I noticed they cut the Alien popping out of Ripley at the end. Though the graphics were cheap, the emotion of the scene was lost when they cut it. Hell even the score edit hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.