main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aliens: 20 years later....

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by sith_rising, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    awesomeness =D=

2. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    that link was the first result when i googled "marines we are leaving". it's one of my favorite quotes from a movie ever.

man, i absolutely love aliens. i saw it first when i was twelve (back in '86 on a pirate video (remember video :p )) and was blown away by it. it is still fresh today, nothing has dated from it at all (IMHO ;) ). it would definately be in my all time movie top 10 (how hard would it be to make a list like that though?). my eldest son watched it not so long ago after i convinced him it was more of an action/war flick than a horror movie, and he absolutely loved it (he's 11), my 8 year old daughter wasn't exactly convinced by me though and gave it a miss, along with my 5 year old son. they have got some great movies to watch when they are older ;) .

there is an event coming up in the UK to celebrate the 20th anniversary of aliens, at the leicester space centre. there will be a huge display of screen used props and stuff there, but the highlight is that al matthews will (more than likely) be there :D . i may tell him that the floor's freezing, and can he fetch me my slippers :p

i recently found somewhere that sells the armour and helmet sets for the USCM uniform, and did a little more digging around on the internet, and there are literally thousands of people around the world who have this costume and attend events and such as squads of marines. i am going to be getting the costume myself as soon as i can get the money together. those replica pulse rifles aren't cheap either.

3. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I know what you mean, if I remmeber correctly, a fully functional "M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher" is about $1500. Complete with retractable stock, removable magazine, and an electronic ammo counter. That makes me depressed :( so cool toys that I cant have. "How do I get out of this [...] outfit?"

4. Grillbu_Fett

Grillbu_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2005
    For me, the most terrifying and also fascinating moment is as the Alien Queen splits Bishop into an upper and a lower half.[face_hypnotized] and :eek:

5. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    the most memorable scene for me would have to be when the marines go into the atmospheric processor and confront the aliens for the first. w/ Vasquez and Drake opening fire with the smartguns

6. whatisthybidding

whatisthybidding Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2006
    I just love when Ripley is going down into Hell in the elevator. She's strapping the Pulse Rifle and Flamethrower together, getting her flares ready, popping in full magazines, getting her grenade bandolier on, and loading the grenade launcher. The music and lighting are great. She's not scared at all at that point, just determined to get Newt and eliminate some Xenomorphs (does anyone remember the game Alien Syndrome? a great Aliens ripoff!)

7. Leias_Lipgloss

Leias_Lipgloss Jedi Master star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    I like Aliens but I really was blown away by Alien. I remember my aunt and uncle going to see it and I wasn't allowed to go because I was too young. I ended up seeing it on tv a few years ago and was blown away. How could I have missed this? But I agree with the poster above that Aliens did what many similar films did not - established characters even when they just ended up Alien-fodder.

Anyways, in Alien there is a tube passageway that lights up. It looks A LOT like the tube that Luke goes into (and turns on the lights) after Vader falls out of the carbon freezing chamber. I think I may have to do a screen compare. I know that Ridley Scott was influenced by the "lived in" future look of SW but I think this could be the same prop!

8. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    I just got done watching the special edition of Aliens. Really pretty cool to see the colony, wish you see more.

Is there any book on just what happened to the colony on LV-426? Like "Newt's Tale" or something?

I'd love to read it.

It was also great to see Hicks get a little huffy, right before his 'frosty' comment.

[image=http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimages/a_108MichaelBiehn.jpg]

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Hicks would have to be my favorite marine next to Vasquez and Hudson.

10. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    my favorite scene is where they are barricaded inside the complex, and the motion trackers are going haywire and then hicks looks above the roof tiles to see the alien hoarde coming for them. that whole scene is outstanding, even though hudson buys the big one:

"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! Let's go, yeah, come on! Come on! Come and get it you ********! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? **** you!"

[image=http://www.alienscollection.com/hudson.jpg]

hudson = my favorite character, the ultimate badass.

11. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    game over man,
    game over

12. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    "Get away from her you *****!"

one of the best lines in the movie :D

13. howardgarbo

howardgarbo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    Man, I absolutely love Aliens.

Not only is it the greatest sci-fi action film of all time, it's also one of the greatest FILMS of all time.

Sigourney Weaver gives another great performance as Ripley and truly makes her one of the great cinema icons. And her supporting cast is also terrific. Especially Michael Biehn, Lance Henrikson and Bill Paxton. Each of the marines has their own unique personality and contributions. And unlike other action films of this genre we truly care for them.

As for Carrie Henn as Newt. She didn't bother me as much as she seemed to bother everyone else. She gave an ethusiastic performance and she had a great mother-daughter relationship with Ripley.

Wow, I could write an entire essay of love for this film but suffice to say its one of the greatest films of all time and deserves all the acclaim and popularity it recieves.

Next to Godfather II and The Empire Strikes Back, Aliens is probably the best sequel ever made.

14. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    yeh, it's up there as one of the best sequels ever, and one of the best sci-fi movies ever, however I'm hestitant to label it the greatest movie ever.

It was the perfect sequel - take a great idea and expand on it while maintaining a couple of key themes.

The role of the corporation was great - they sent the miners there to find the ship that Ripley reported deliberately to get the alien samples.

I still maintain that some of the best plot ideas came out of the comic book series, and what they ended up picking for 3 and 4 weren't up to scratch.

15. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    while 3 wasn't the best i still think it was a good movie. visually it was done very well

16. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    I first saw Aliens right after I saw Alien, and I was quite disappointed at the time. I've grown to like a lot more over the years. I think it was the first time I saw it on a big screen I really appreciated it's punch-you-in-the-stomach style of sci-fi horror. Alien is the perfect haunted spaceship movie and Aliens is perfect at what it does. . .

man. :D

Bill Paxton is hilarious in it too.

17. BAR_BAR_DRINKS

BAR_BAR_DRINKS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    haha
    Paxton is awesome! "you want some of this?! oh, you too?"

Bill and Lance Henricson(sp?) are the only two to
    be killed by an Alien, Predator, and the Terminator.

Bill: T1,Aleins, Predator2
    Lance: T1, Aliens, AvP

18. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    technically bishop wasn't killed in Aliens. just torn in half. and he can't be killed because he was never alive. he's an android;)

19. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Hicks was killed by an alien (technically), and was also killed by a Terminator in T1.

ho ho

Furthermore, Vasquez died because she was about to get eaten by an alien, and she was also killed by a Terminator.

20. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    fixed

21. BAR_BAR_DRINKS

BAR_BAR_DRINKS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    what i love, i love i just REALLY love the BUILD UP.
    just love it.
    and the payoff, of course.

and dare i say it? !dare! im gonna say... do you want me to say it?
    gotta say it

yes, ALIENS IS better than die hard.

there i said it! said it and what?! what willis fans? huh? you aint got NOTHING! HUH!?!
    'saright, step off!

EDIT:
    techincal/shecicnal, bishop aint funtio-?- aint working agian cuz the queen ripped im two!

did IQs drop while i as away?

EDIT pt.Deux
    sorry-- "Never top of the line again"
    and yea i know biehn & goldstein were kilt by Terminators, but not by Predators (also)
    but im being a :-B about triva matters, but whatever, i had 4 >ahem< drinks , watched SHAUN OF THE DEAD, then put on ALIENS

22. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I've often thought it would be good to expand on the alien take-over of the terrorformer facility.

From Newt's parents returning with the first face-hugger, to the initial alien outbreak and subsequent full stage invasion.

I'd like to see the last stand that they refer to when the Marines arrive on the planet.

cool stuff :)

23. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    that's something i've always been interested in as well

24. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    it could be done - with a totally new set of actors

25. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I'd like to update my idea.

I've often thought it would make for a great movie, but obviously we know the ending - ie loads of colonists die, and they're wiped out in the last-stand.

However, I'm assuming they had space-ships on the planet - otherwise how did they get there ? So, the plot wouldn't have to be all doom and gloom - it could centre around some of the colonists attempting to escape, while the others gave their lives to slow down the aliens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.