main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Aliens: Colonial Marines (360, PS3, PC, WiiU)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Valyn, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002

The old thread has been locked. Anyway, this looks like it's coming out soon. I'm hoping it's kind of like Left 4 Dead in regards to amazing multiplayer components.

Anyone know if this will also have split-screen coop?

2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    From what I understand it has drop-in co-op including split-screen, which is great. I love me some co-op.

General Immodet likes this.
  3. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Split-screen coop seems to be highly underrated by developers these days. Sometimes it's a lot more fun playing with a friend in the same room than it is playing with random people across the world.

4. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    Im buying this for the split-screen coop, since i have a ps3 and my only gamer friend has a xbox 360. So no online coop for us :(

5. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I have plays been an Alien fan!
    I will definitely buy the game sometime in the future! They announced this game years ago. Glad it finally will be released!
    There should be more co-op games!
    So, the marines are returing to LV-426? We all know how that ended last time... :)
    Hopefully, the Weyland-Yutani logo is shown in the game! I love the logo!

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I wonder if the Wii U version will be split screen c-op, or if they'll just do one player on the TV, another on the gamepad?

Speaking of which, they really need to confirm the Wii U release date for this game- I think it;s the version most people are waiting for (the gamepad/motion tracker thing seems to be made for teh gamepad more than anything else).

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I love split-screen coop simply because I haven't got into the whole internet on consoles thing yet, though Halo 4 has seriously convinced me to get into internet on consoles in the near future.

8. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I am really looking forward to this title. All the trailers and interviews has me wanting to play it now. We really do need a solid release date for the Wii U edition other than first quarter and I hope it doesn't miss out on the Collector's Edition that the other systems are getting.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  9. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002

I wasn't aware the WiiU had sold so well...

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, within the portion of the audience with a choice of platforms, or for those who might buy a Wii U for this game, it would seem to be the preferred option. It's certainly one of those games that conveys what the game pad can do for games best.

11. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Cool, normally i only play RPGs but I'll check this out cuz im a huge aliens fan

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    iIt's about time. Didn't this game first get announced like 5 years ago or something? :p

I'm hoping they'll offer some of the Colonial Marines gear from what Aliens EU there is-there's some genuinely cool-looking armor to be had there.

13. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah can't wait for this game. As long as its taken them to make it it better be good.

14. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    yeah been waiting on this one for a while

15. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    It was actually announced like 12 years ago for the PS2 by another company, but it got canceled i think and Sega bought the rights. Then Sega and Gearbox announced it in 2006 only to canceled it in 2007. I was so sad lol :( Luckily we are getting it this year :)

DarthBoba likes this.
  16. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    If it was developed and canceled and developed and canceled before finally developed enough for release, I'm worried that it'll be as inconsistent as Dead Island. Dead Island had some great fun moments (and the online multiplayer setup was brilliantly done, imo), but the graphics were all over the place. In some areas, the graphics looked outdated and revealed signs of having been developed several years before launch. In other areas, the graphics were stunning, evidence of that particular area having been developed more recently.

Anyone getting this for the 360? Would be interested in perhaps putting my 360 Gold membership to use for this. I don't really use my Gold membership for much these days...and it's kind of silly(/rip-off?) that you need Gold to access Netflix, Hulu, Youtube and other Internet apps.

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I too love exclamation marks!

Why can't filmmakers just make a movie like this. No more stupid AVP, and leave Ripley out of it.

General Immodet likes this.
  18. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Agreed! The Alien series has so much potential. I would love to see a new Alien movie with new characters!
    Although, I would still like some Weyland-Yutani representatives to appear or at least the firm's logo!

19. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Released today but this game is getting destroyed by critics and gamers alike. 45/100 from critics and 4.4/10 by users. Such a pity, the Marine levels in AVP2 are some of my favorite gaming memories. I almost bought this on Steam last night but decided to wait for reviews. I'm glad I did. I'll probably still wind up getting it though when the Steam Summer Sale rolls around and it's $4.99.

20. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    According to Metacritic, the only game worse than this released in the last 6 months was The War Z. Wow.

Kind of want to see what makes this so bad.

21. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Polgyon is saying it's terrible as well.

*&%&!

22. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Apparently the AI is so bad you can play through entire levels without firing a shot. Just run by the xenomorphs and they'll ignore you.

07jonesj likes this.
  23. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    I got done with the first mission a few minutes ago. My initial impressions (for what it's worth), it's not great, but I wouldn't describe it as trash either. The graphics are (for 2013) kind of weak. I'd probably compare it to a late PS2/XBox to early PS3/XBox 360. I will give them credit for the sound though. They did use the effects from the movie (pulse rifle, motion tracker, welder), and it sounded like they based their soundtrack on the movie. And there do seem to be small references to at least Aliens, like finding Bishop's legs in the Sulaco's hanger bay.

Personally, I'd say if you were thinking of getting it, wait until it goes on sale or buy it used. So far, I'd say it might be fun if you don't take it too seriously, and wanted to shoot Xenos while running around sets from Aliens.

Knowing luck, my feelings will probably change as I go on, but that's my $.02, for what it's worth.

DarthBoba likes this.
  24. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Well thats a shame if it truly is that bad I was really looking forward to it!

25. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Gamespot.com also trashed it for weak graphics, repetitive missions, poor AI, and poorly designed co-op.