main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Aliens: Colonial Marines (360, PS3, PC, WiiU)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Valyn, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    This is the second time I have been interest in a game in recent years that hasn't been well liked when its finally released. I was interested in Stronghold 3, because I like the rest of the series, but it was simply terrible. The impression I have gotten is only Aliens fans seem to like Aliens: Colonial Marines.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This is rather unfortunate news. I had hopes for the game even if the graphics weren't top of the line. Seems the multiplayer is pretty decent but the campaign sucks.

Apparently what happened was Gearbox outsourced the game to TimeGate, who threw out most of what Gearbox had already done on the game. While Gearbox worked on Borderlands 2, some people at Gerabox worked on ACM's multiplayer.

Then they got back what TimeGate did, which was apparently pretty horrible. Sega wanted to release the game to get a return on their investment, and Gearbox didn't have the time to fix the single player mode, nor did they want to have another Duke Nukem Forever on their hands (since this game started production in 2006).

Thus we get the apparently-terrible campaign and the ok multiplayer of what was relased.

There's a slight glimmer of hope- the Wii U version was given to Demiurge to port and was said by Gearbox to look the best of all the versions released. And the Wii U version won't be out till probably sometime in March

Sooo, with that extra development time, as well as the divergent branch of development it took... there still remains the slight possibility that the Wii U version will actually end up being somewhat different than the other versions, beyond the motion tracker/gamepad design.

It'll definitely be graphically superior, but will they have had time to fix the gameplay? Who knows? They might just cancel the Wii U version for all we know- but it seems Sega is interested in recouping as much cash as they can so I can't see them cancelling ot this close to release.

3. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
  4. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Interesting little read about A:CM.

Short version is pretty much this:

DarthBoba likes this.
  5. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I bought the game yesterday. I am looking forward to playing it!

6. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Why would you do that? Have you not seen the reaction?

Unless you're buying it in an ironic sense - just to see how bad it is?

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I think the review is a little one-sided-there are plenty of scenes in Aliens where the Marines manage to escape with their lives at least temporarily (whereas encountering the monster in Alien was pretty much instant death no matter what :p) but yeah, basically that's correct I think. Still....there's plenty of games that get that just fine. It's not impossible. :p

8. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I was really hoping for a Left 4 Dead-style game from this...though moodier and more thrilling.

9. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Bwa, I always have been an Alien fan. Even if the game is not that good, it still is an addition to my collection.

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
  11. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I don't understand that mindset. Because you are a fan of a franchise, you would buy a product whatever the quality? Doesn't that encourage companies to spit out quick, shoddy products?

I love Game of Thrones, yet I didn't buy it's game.

If you're going to buy it, at least buy it used so you don't harm the industry.

12. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Is that you hiding behind a sock, Valyn?

13. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    I do not think the behavior of few will influence the whole business. I am a collector, but I do not think everyone is a collector.
    By the way, it is also possible I like the game very much in comparison to other gamers. I do not play games that often, so sometimes I am pleased wehn others are not.

07jonesj likes this.
  14. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    You'd be surprised. Thinking that "your actions" do not matter, and do not affect the industry is a misnomer. That said, if you honestly get enjoyment out of the game, who am I to stop you? :)

General Immodet likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There are other reasons to buy a game besides the gameplay quality- this is an official sequel to Aliens, so a fan of the films (good and bad and inbetween) would want to try to experience that storyline. Same way a Tron fan would be interested in Evolution as a prequel to Legacy or a SW fan might play any of number of SW games that they otherwise wouldn't have, etc.

General Immodet and 07jonesj like this.
  16. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    But the storyline has been almost universally panned too. My stance is if you buy something purely based on it's brand name, no matter the quality, that makes you a sucker. That's exactly what publishers want. Then they can spit out loads of crappy franchise games without putting any effort into them.

You can make great games based on existing brands - see The Witcher, The Walking Dead or the two Cybertron Transformers games.

When you buy Aliens: Colonial Marines, you tell that publisher that you think their product is worthy of purchase, that it's acceptable. Oh, and yes, I'm an Alien fan, as well as a Predator fan. I'm still not supporting this game.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    People will still watch an inferior sequel in a movie franchise, so how is that any different than a poor story in a game?

18. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Most of the time, the original movie is still the best one.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  19. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I certainty view Alien as my favorite. Aliens is cool but not as good as Alien.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This is getting way worse reviews than the AVP game that came out three years ago. That's too bad. The trailers looked fairly promising.

21. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Thats because the AVP game from 2010 wasn't a bad game like this hehe.

EDIT: I mean it wasn't the best thing ever but it was decent and had enjoyable stuff to it.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought AVP was fairly disappointing. The Predator campaign was very promising but waaaaay too short. The marine campaign was generic until the awesome final level.

23. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    I am playing the game right now. I do not think it is as bad as you all say it is. Okay, the graphics of the cutscenes are not good, but the gameplay itself is satisfying. There are a lot of references to the Alien movies. I kind of like it, actually. Bishop!!!

24. TheProtocol

TheProtocol Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    I really like it.

25. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    I loved the return of Hicks and the references to the movies!
    By the way, I have always been a Weyland-Yutani fan, so seeing its logo many times in the game really made my day.