main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

VIDEO Aliens, Hunters, Pirates & Justin Bailey: Metroid [General Discussion]

Discussion in 'Games' started by darklordoftech, Jul 2, 2013.

1. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    The announcement of MP4 was exciting, but seeing Samus Returns blew my mind.

Metroid 2 was the first game I became obsessed with as a kid. It wasn't the first game I played, but I credit it as the one that made me a gamer.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I still pull out my original M2 save file every now and then a d proceed to kill the Queen for old times sake.

The visual depth design for the remake to take advantage of the 3D is quite interesting (they've also released the trailer in 3D for download off of the eShop),going by the Treehouse demo footage. The environmental designs lose the desolate feel of the original's rock caverns and black backgrounds but does make SR-388 look more like the former homeworld of the Chozo that it's supposed to be, so that's a change I can't really complain about.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I noticed this in Zero Mission as well. In original and Super Metroid, Zebes is very dark, but in Zero Mission it's bright and cheery.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Part of it is the style of each title, I suppose. The NES went for a very high-contrast visual design to enhance the creepiness of the game and the sequel followed suit (albeit with more detailed sprites on lower-powered hardware).

I never really played Zero Mission much, so I can't directly compare the two.

5. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Knight star 4

May 10, 2015
    Considering Metroid Prime/Dark Samus is definitely dead after Corruption, I wonder if they're actually planning to resurrect her somehow for MP4. Or instead go the Halo route and move away from what the title is actually referring to.

Life likes this.
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Does anyone have Samus Returns?

8. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I do, I've played about 3 hours and it's great!

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. Life

Life Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    A very interesting video that compares the two remakes of Metroid II, provides a well-argued defence of the original version and some deserved criticism of Samus Returns' more misguided tweaks, suggesting that the two remakes have either profoundly misunderstood or decided to deliberately ignore what the original was going for artistically.

10. Phasmus

Phasmus Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2018
    Considering Metroid is my life, totally subbing this. :D

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
  12. Phasmus

Phasmus Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2018
    ^ That was a great video. Thanks for sharing @Ichor_Razor :D