main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aliens of the Mos Eisely Cantina

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by PhantomMenace, Jun 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

The Cantina creatures are incredible - even though the film came out in 1977, they are still, for the most part, very original and unusual. I don't think there have been aliens as interesting in a sci-fi movie or T.V. show before or since (at least not all in one place).

SW: ANH was revolutionary in many ways, and the cantina scene was one of them - never before had as many bizzare looking creatures been in one place at one time.

Also, in the context of the film, that scene was a turning point for Luke. Before, he had been living a relatively sheltered life on Tattoine, but I see the Cantina scene as being the first time that he stepped "out of the box" and was able to experience something completely different from what he was used to.

2. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    Blur - I completely agree with you.

KolKotha - The skeleton-looking guy you are referring to is Elis Helrot.

3. JediHunterCommand

JediHunterCommand Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2003
    My personal favorite is the Pipe Smoker, or Dannik Jerriko to those who've read "The Pipe-Smoker's Tale." Dannik's essentially a vampire who watches the action in the Cantina picking out targets. He takes one look at Obi-Wan and decides to give the Jedi a miss. Han, on the other hand...

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, the two new aliens added into the Cantina to replace Lak Sivrak and the Defel are actually the same puppet, just one is reversed with a hat over his original "face".

[image=http://www.denimfilms.com/shared/Seperatedatbirth.jpg]

5. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    On the first page of this thread, Lord Hydronium was kind enough to post this incredibly informative link to the official site:

Cantina roll-call

Anyone who has any questions about the cantina creatures' identities--past and present--need only spend twenty minutes or so perusing this highly educational database!

EDIT: Thanks to 2ndQuest for the info regarding that ridiculous puppet. How is that thing better than the Defel, I ask?? Off the shelf or not, "Wolfman Jack" rocks! I say bring back the wolf for the Archival Edition!!!!! Laser-red eyes and all!!!!

6. PhantomMenace

Apr 20, 2001
    Vortigern99 - I read that and I found it truly enjoyable to read! It was so helpful as well. I only wish that it would have discussed the grim reaper guy who was sitting with Momaw Nadon.

The2ndQuest - That's a very interesting fact. I didn't know about that.

Edit I miss "Wolfman Jack" as well. He looked so cool! I have the action figure of Ketwol, the alien who replaced the Defel and Lak Sivrak. I turned his head backwards to make him into his "other" self.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The Ketwol/Melas thing is freaky.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, ain't it? ::)

9. Jawa-Juice

Jawa-Juice Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2002
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/feature/20030502/img/djas_sm.jpg]

I like Djas Puhr. Has anyone ever spotted him in the cantina? I got his action figure recently. I know I've looked and looked but I just can't see him.

10. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    I think there were some Barabels in that cantina, were there not?

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Nope, Barabels are a completely EU invention.

12. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Does anybody realize the importance of these aliens? If it was'ent for this sole scene, the Expanded Universe would'ent have a large enough supply of templete's to write their stories with! 8-}

I found all the Cantina aliens fascinating and enjoyed watching their mannerisms and the bizarre sounds many of them made as well as listening to their native languages. :)

The Deveronian Labria was gave me the creeps sitting in a secluded corner with a strange smirk on his face, the Duros had a neat dialect, and Wolfman was pretty cool too.

<[-]> Saber

13. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    I think my favorite is the Givin. Mainly cause I didn't notice him until VERY recently.

14. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    No, I saw a Barabel...

15. Darth_Nabb

Darth_Nabb Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    I like that rat creature that can't even properly bring the glass to his mouth. LOL

16. PhantomMenace

Apr 20, 2001
    You're right, Darth_Naab! I've seen that, too. It's really funny. :p That alien's name is Kabe.

17. Georocker

Georocker Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2002
    I like the praying mantis alien, Kitik Keed Khak......the one on PhantomMenace's icon.

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    There are no Barabels in the Cantina.

19. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Bib's right, there are no Barabels in the cantina. The two aliens that you are probably speaking about are Saurins. The male is called Hrchek Kalfas and the female is his cousin called Saitorr Kalfas. They are droid dealers.

20. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    Im a Fan of the Devaronian Kardue'sai'Malloc. He was a Captain of the Devaronian Army.

He's my Favorite.

Too bad the Butcher of Montellian Serrat wasn't there. Bib probably has the lowdown on him. [face_mischief]

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Um, Kardue'Sai'Malloc (aka Labria) is the Butcher of Montellian Serat.

22. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    My Bad [face_blush]

23. PhantomMenace

Apr 20, 2001
    I think it's time that this thread goes back to the top. :p

24. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
  25. SuperVader

SuperVader Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2002
    I dont I like Labria his sorry was cool and he just looks scary... *shivers*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.