main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aliens Vs. Predator Movies Discussion Thread (First 5 Minutes of AVP2 Online Legally!)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    the predators weren't always portrayed as the stronger type. in one of the comics it shows a hunting expedition for the predators go wrong where the Aliens ambush them. i believe each species gets equal attention to showing their strong and weak points shown in the games and graphic novels.

back to the movie part one thing i do hope to see in this sequel is a fullgrown "PredAlien"

2. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Some comic book recommendations for you:

Aliens
    - Aliens: Salvation
    - Aliens: Sacrifice
    - Aliens: Labyrinth (MUST READ)
    - Aliens: Tribes

Predator
    - Predator: Captive
    - Predator: Hell Come'a Walkin'

AvP
    - AvP: Duel
    - AvP: Eternal (moreso for the Predators than the Aliens

3. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I have to say that Paul anderson is NOT the reasonthis was so bad, other than the predators getting killed soquickly, The was nearly 45 minutes cut out of the movies WEEKS before it came out, because fox wanted to go for the pg-13 crowd. I don't think I have ever seen a Paul Anderson directed movie I did not like

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i'd like the sequel to me set in the future like the Alien movies. i think it'd be cool if there were Marines, Predators, and Aliens going at each other.

5. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Definding Paul Anderson is paramont to defending Uwe Boll. Sure you can do it but why in the world would you want to?

There are a lot of people that say the studio ruined a good film but I just don't see it. More blood wasn't going to make that movie any better. It would just make it more bloody.

It failed on every possible level. I lost intrest sooooo quickly into it that unless the extra 45 minutes was at the begining explaining how the whole thing was just going to be a bad homage to bad movies done badly it wouldn't of helped. Now cut the thing by another hour and and half and you might just have something.

6. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Just like how you can't understand people defending the movie, likewise I can't understand people slamming it. It wasn't 'Gone With The Wind', but it wasn't that bad. There wasn't much cheezy dialogue (and for those who complain about cheezy dialogue anyway, I've got two words for you: "Stick around" -- Maj. Alan "Dutch" Schaefer, 'Predator'), the acting wasn't that bad, nor was it over the top, the plot was neither too simple nor too complex (and if you want a simple plot, go watch 'Alien'), nor was the movie boring. It kept moving from beginning to end, and it made sense.
    I like the movie a lot, and I will continue to defend it. It was arguably some of the most fun I've had at the movies in years, second only to (perhaps) 'Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow'.

7. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    I second that.

Also, I'm glad that Anderson decided togo for a slightly different angle.

8. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Yeah it was that bad. The dialogue wasn't cheesey it was bad (which is an acomplishment considering there are all of 5 lines in the whole thing). The plot wasn't overly simple it was non-exsitant. Maybe boring isn't the right word (though accurate) stupid perhapse?

You're right it wasn't Gone with the Wind but we've been through that already. I totaly agree that a movie doesn't have to be high art to be good it just has to be entertaining. I did find AvP entertaining but not in the same way that you did. I found it entertaining in a "they actually gave someone money to make this movie" sort of way. An Ed Wood sort of way. When the theater was laughing out loud because the Preditor picked himself up some tail, it was fun, just not the kind of fun I go to a movie like that to have.

BTW I said I couldn't understand defending Paul W.S. Anderson, not the movie. Thats a whole 'nother story considering AvP may well be his best movie to date. ;)

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i'll admit that Alien Vs. Predator is the only Paul Anderson movie that I really like. but it still could've been a lot better

10. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    *rubs hands together* Interesting.

I will flat out say it, AvP is my most hated and loathed movie ever made. Oh sure there are worse movies. But nothing has ever dissapointed me on the scale of AvP. Of course, when I saw it I wasn't really... "educated" in films? I didn't know attatching Anderson to a film was a death sentence. Now I do, and looking back, had I known, I wouldn't have had such high hopes that did get shattered.

I was a fan of Aliens for a long time. I read all the books, all the comics, whatever I could get my hands on. Same with Predator, only not quite as rabid. Read all the versus stuff, for a good while there you could say I was obsessed with that whole mythos.

But none of that... NONE of it even came close to the movies. They did display the Aliens as intelligent creatures and not the insect like drones in the books/comics. When I think of Aliens, I think of the films where they were scary and sneaky! They had a brain. But despite all that, I never once thought they could take a Predator. Despite all my fan worship, I was never crazy either... Predators > Aliens.

So we move on to AvP. Where it got all the hearts and guts from the books, right there on the screen. Well congrads, but here's the thing, the books and comics are trash compared to the films. I wanted a real Aliens or Predator experience. I wanted that boxed-in and hunted feeling. Not this tweened up accessible mess that came out. Not this happy time sunshine paint roses on my face feel good movie of the year we got. Maybe I'm going a bit overboard, but I'm notorious for it when it comes to this movie.

Oh, and here's the twist, I am an Anderson defender! I think his style is perfect for action films. But I think the man should have his hands cut off so he can't write a script ever again! He butchers everything he writes, and blame fox or not, the directors cut wasn't any better!

*huff huff*

I'm better now. :)

If there's one thing that this movie did, it made me get more involved in film making. It made me realize everything that can be done wrong in a movie, and what makes a movie wrong to begin with. It also made me realize that anyone can be allowed to piss on what was to make multi-millions... ugh...

11. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I shed a single tear after reading that. [face_single_tear]

Edit: Except for the part about defending Anderson as a director just not as a writter. [face_sick]

12. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Hey, did I say he was a good director? lol

It doesn't take a whole lot to be a good action director, IMO. But something special to be a great one. :)

13. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Well, you're entitled to your opinion. It's been clear that 'AvP' pretty much divided fans, and I'm one of those fans who enjoyed the movie, and will continue to defend it.

14. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I enjoyed it, but it really was a let down.

No matter how good you think it was, you have to agree that it should have been better.
    It had the capacity to have the hardcore fans of the two franchises united to watch an outstanding movie.

What we got simply wasn't good enough.

15. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    It certainly could have been better.
    However, it was not the "utter crap" many people claim it to be.

16. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i think the storyline for the computer game AVP 2 would be perfect for a movie. it has as a good story. it has the marines, predators, and aliens. i'd also like to see the Exosuit from the game used. all those weapons on there:D

17. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Looking back it`s not a waste of a film,but it should have had an R Rating.

18. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I've waited for this movie since the Alien skull in Pred 2.

Boy, what a dissapointment.

I despise the direction the last three directors have taken the Alien. It's gone from the creepy, slightly-human, bio-mechanical creature of the first movie, to some kind of animal-thing that reminds me of velociraptors from Jurrasic Park. And the Queen bears a close resemblance to the JP T-Rex!

I can only hope in the sequel they put the Predators in the Aliens Universe and timeline, instead of putting the Aliens into the Pred Universe. Having Aliens ON EARTH in the present day completely ruins the whole continuity of the Aliens Franchise.

Let's just call Aliens 3 and 4 a bad dream and have the Sulaco intercepted by a Predator ship and go from there!

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    that would be an interesting take. but i don't think Alien 3 was that bad

20. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Alien 3 wasn't a bad movie by itself, what I don't like about it was that it made EVERYTHING that Ripley went through in Aliens mean absolutlely NOTHING!

After all that, Hicks was dead, Newt was dead, Bishop trashed, and Ripley ended up impregnated anyway!

Now, I can't watch Aliens anymore without thinking, "Hell, don't bother going after the kid, she's dead anyway, and just go on in there and let the facehugger get you now, it'll save you a dip in the molten steal later!"

And let's not even discuss Alien 4. It appears Joss Whedon CAN do wrong. In abundance!

I think we need a whole thread just for the Alien movies!

21. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Alien Thread ;)

22. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    That isn't entirely accurate... there is no separate Alien and Predator "universe". It's all one universe, and it's all one timeline. 'AvP' didn't mess with anything, and Aliens had shown up on Earth on several occasions in the comic books before the events of the 'AvP' movie.

'Alien3' was always meant to be a tragedy. Every script draft, even from the earliest planning stages, had 'Alien3' as a tragedy.
    Frankly, I love 'Alien3'. It's my favorite Alien film. I especially love the extended edition that was released with the Alien Quadrilogy DVD set.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I also rather enjoyed the extended version of Alien 3, though it's still somewhat dissapointing after the first two films. Resurrection was decent up until Ripley fell into the floor and they went with the whole Newborn crap.

>>Definding Paul Anderson is paramont to defending Uwe Boll.<<

Nothing of the sort- Uwe Boll is a plague on filmmaking with absolutely no sense of how to tell a story. Anderson's films are at least enjoyable to one degree or another (personally, the only film of his I really didn't like was Soldier, the rest were all decent B-flicks, and Event Horizon was solid) and he fairly obviously has a decent amount of skill, even if his projects don't always completely succeed with what they attempt to execute.

That said- AVP felt weak, as if it was edited down to the barebones. So I do look forwrad to eventually seeing an extended version as I think that might fix my main problems with it (though nothing can fix the xenomorph-head-as-arm-shield silliness).

24. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    There's already been an extended edition DVD release. It adds some stuff, but not a lot. My personal favorite addition is a scene where Maxwell Stafford berates Weyland for not caring that all the mercenaries got picked off by the Predators. It makes Weyland out to be more of a jerk, and helps develop Stafford's character better.

25. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Bah, Anderson was the plague on filmmaking that everyone was trying to dethrone long before Boll showed up. He did it first, admittedly he did it better and there maybe some skill but to even give his movies B-grade status is an undue complement IMO.

Its the same problem Boll has the movie just kind of falls apart. I can't think of a single Anderson movie that carried any kind of cohesion. Admittedly I haven't seen the only two that got any sort of critical acclaim (and by acclaim in this sense I just mean not utterly panned). Every other movie of his that I have seen has a point where it just turns into a train wreck. Admittedly sometimes its later in the movie rather then sooner but it always happens. "Its a black hole.....to hell :oops: .

Did you see that "Robot Chicken" sketch where Devlin and Emmerich decided they were going to do Godzilla again but this time they were going to do it right. So they shoot the movie and show it to the executives only to have it turn out to be the same movie but with more synchronized skating. The executive is shocked and Devlin and Emmerich high five each other because they can't believe that they fell for it twice?

That's exactly how I've felt about every Paul W.S. Anderson movie I've seen. At least when I blew 20 bucks on A Sound of Thunder (I kept buying tickets online and missing the show time [face_blush] ) I came out thinking "Ok, that was really bad but the director took it seriously and just failed". I have a hard time believing that Anderson isn't rolling in the isle laughing we he finishes a movie. "Xenomorph-head-as-arm-shield silliness", slow-mo running from explosions with Predator dreads flapping in silhouette, oddly uncomfortable Predator sexual overtones, bullet-time face huggers. I couldn't of been the only person who's theater turned into "Evening at the Improv" (because people were laughing and making jokes and...oh never mind).

Just out of curiosity since we're on the subject how many people have seen a Boll film?

Show of hands. Who else besides me actually spent 5 bucks to watch BloodRayne?
    *cricket chirp*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.