main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aliens Vs. Predator Movies Discussion Thread (First 5 Minutes of AVP2 Online Legally!)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BAR_BAR_DRINKS

BAR_BAR_DRINKS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    not to typecast or anything, but.....

wished cameron directed ]-}
    or the thomas's wrote it

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    for all of those who've seen King Kong or have the soundtrack for it what would you think of the music from the T-Rex fight scene(Tooth and Claw on the soundtrack) being used for a Alien/Predator fight? i think it'd go really well especially if they put it in with a showdown with a queen alien

3. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    An explanation that's not in the actual film... so it goes unexplaned... so it's still a contradiction if we never know why. And reading the book doesn't change the fact that the movie doesn't make any sense.

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    ideally who would you want to direct this? i'd honestly want James Cameron but he's busy on other projects right now.

5. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I`d still like to see the rumors come true about Cameron and Ridley Scott teaming up on a finale

6. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Wait, what? The book exists, and it explains it. The book is a licensed part of the AvP franchise.
    And the movie makes plenty of sense. What confused you? I'd probably be able to explain it for you.

7. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I think the point is that most people don't read the novelisations, so if you were just going by the movies, you would not know why the gestation time was different in this one compared to the others. What you say does make sense, but because its never addressed in the movie of course people are going to wonder why.

8. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Correct. It's just sloppy film-making and the fact that it's in the novelisation does not excuse it.

9. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    The problem is, it would be difficult to convey it on film. How would you convey it in a way thay got the point across to the audience, but also didn't distract from the scene?
    I guess my point is, even if it's not in the film itself, it's not like it was completely out of the filmmaker's mind. It's addressed in the novelization, and Paul Anderson gave the same "hormones speed up growth" answer when asked about it in interviews.

10. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Blatant exposition.

Didn't stop them at any other point in the movie.

11. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    They could have just had another lame "it all makes sense now" flashback, ala the Preds vs Aliens in ancient times monatage. Then again, that was extremely clunky, so nevermind ;)

12. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    How would the blatant exposition work? There's a difference between Sebastian reading heiroglyphs and surmising the history of the human relationship with the Predators, and the characters (somehow) concluding that the Predators are speeding up the Alien lifecycle with hormones, especially if they know nothing of the Predators' technology or the Alien biology.

13. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    personally i'm glad they didn't explain the accelerated growth thing with the Aliens. if you've seen the Alien movies before you can assume that something was done to accelerate the growth of the aliens in AVP.

14. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Alien vs. Predator 2 Scheduled for 2007

Box Office Mojo reports that 20th Century Fox has scheduled an August 10, 2007 release date for Alien vs. Predator 2. No other details are available at this time.

15. Lady_Solaris

Lady_Solaris Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2005
    I've heard all the hub-bub about how disappointing AvP was...<shifty eyes>... however, I actually enjoyed this movie. Perhaps it was because I entered the theatre not expecting something of a high calibre, just a revisit to familiar characters/species.

16. marc_craigwb

marc_craigwb Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2005
    i really enjoyed it too,personally i dont think the issue is how awful the movie is,it does deliver to a point,but its nowhere near as good as it couldve been.its like the equivalent of having the scifi box office draw of pacino and deniro but its potential wasnt explored.at least it was successful enough for a sequel,better luck next time.

17. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    the thing i'm really interested about in this next film is how they pull off the full grown "PredAlien" look.

18. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i thought i'd ask this here. for those of you who played Aliens Vs. Predator 2 for the PC do any of you have ideas of cast members for the characters in the game?

19. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Well, PredAliens aren't anything new. They've shown up in the comics (once), the video games (three times) and even in the Aliens/Predator collectible card game.

20. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i know. it's one thing to see it in books, comics, and games but another to see it on the movie screen

21. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    I considered AVP mediocre until the human teamed up with the Predator. Then I started hating it. If they do make another one, I hope to the gods that they don't team up again. Or at least not in a way that is as ridiculously corny.

22. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    in the books it was done very well where it didn't seem cheesy and it actually works very well with the story and is what furthers the future books. in the computer game AVP 2 the human character doesn't even team up with the predator.

23. howardgarbo

howardgarbo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    I guess AVP deserves credit for making Alien Resurrection watchable in comparision.

Seriously, this film was terrible. The PG-13 rating for one, took away what the franchises were about. Their meant to be gruesome, profane films. I didn't care about any of the humans for one as they were all bland and forgettable. Lance Henrikson's role served little purpose and finally the Predators looked worse than the ones from the previous films twenty years ago.

Forget AVP2 and just give us a third Predator.

And make it awesome.

24. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Brothers Strause to Direct AVP2

IGN FilmForce first reported the news that 20th Century Fox may have signed special effects artists-turned-directors Greg and Colin Strause (aka the Brothers Strause) to helm Alien vs. Predator 2 (aka "AVP2"). The brothers themselves have now confirmed the news at their official website.

In addition to their award-winning work as music video and commercial directors, the Brothers Strause also run Hydraulx, which has provided special effects work for such Fox films as X-Men: The Last Stand, Fantastic Four and The Day After Tomorrow.

The studio has the sequel scheduled for an August 10, 2007 release.

I never heard of them before. But they can't be worse than Paul Anderson. Hopefully... [face_praying]

25. General_Veers05

General_Veers05 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2005
    AVP was a disatster. The predator movies were terrific, The Alien movies (except Alien ressurection - it is in question) were fabulous,but the idea that predators made aliens as such, is just too bizarre - another cringe-worthy media mutation...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.