main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aliens vs Predator

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by zacparis, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Multiplayer demo is up on Xbox Live, downloading as I type.

Anyone looking forward to this? I haven't seen any videos or screenshots yet, I have no idea what to expect. [face_thinking]

2. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Demo, huh? I suppose that makes sense since it comes out the 16th. I'll check it out.

I've been reading about it and following it with interest since I saw the announcement. Being done by the same folks who made the PC games, so I expect a good experience.

3. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Just finished a few rounds, and my thoughts so far:

- Looks and sounds like Aliens all right. Just firing the pulse rifle alone is enough to put a smile on my face. :D It seems a bit laggy though, and takes a good while to find a match.

- The best moment so far: after spotting the shimmer of a distant cloaked predator, I started shooting. Globs of green blood splattered the wall and then I saw it stop, turn around and aim its red laser beam at me. The next instant a spinning chunk of metal was flying towards me and I was dead. Awesome moment.

It looks promising, and if there's enough interest in it (for multiplayer), I might just buy it. I hope the lag is cleaned up though.

4. Psycho_Sith

Psycho_Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    I pre-ordered this game the day it became available, huge fan of the original (seperate) films!

I downloaded the MP demo yesterday and enjoy it, although it is FFA Deathmatch so that's a bit weird having other members of your species tearing you up. I would've liked to see one of the other MP game types in the demo like Survival or Team Deathmatch, but overall I'm really happy with it so far. The different instant kills for each species are great fun and the sound effects really took me back - epecially the motion tracker and the Predator's cool "clicking" growl.

The game itself looks amazing - 3 seperate species campaigns, many different MP game types & maps, and the achievements look fun. I'm all about this game!

5. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I thought the demo sucked. It gives you no time to get used to the controls, you have to get to know the map before you get a feel for the weapons (starting the Pred without his plasmacaster is a sin against hum- err Yautjanity) you die every time you try a new mechanic, giving you no real opportunity to get to know them and a dozen other little things that a real demo would do which a MP demo can't. You don't do a demo like this when two of the characters aren't your familiar machine-gun wielding space marine. At least let me host an empty game first! What a waste of time.

I'd say the only thing the demo was good for was to see how it runs on my PC - but it's an old demo in an enclosed space that only does DX9. I knew that it'd run when I ordered it on amazon.co.uk (damn thing doesn't come out in Germany).

As such, I don't know anything now that I didn't know before. I'm still hoping the game will be good, especially the campaigns.

6. Psycho_Sith

Psycho_Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    ^^ I will competely agree with your comments, TwiLek. It would be nice to be able to cut down the learning curve and not get thrown into a Live game immediately in order to learn the controls...it took me about 4 maps to realize I could sprint as an Alien.
    ...and wth is the purpose of being able to interact with panels as an Alien (using 'x')?! I bit the panel, an alarm went off...then *nothing* happened. Wasn't the damn door supposed to open or something?!

Either way, it excited me for the actual game release, but you are correct that the learning curve is pretty rediculous.
    I'm just trying to get more of the people on my friends list to get the demo and host games that way so we all have time to better figure out the controls. Since I've only been a Predator and Colonial Marine *once each*, that's not near enough time to figure anything out...I still dig it though.

7. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Just got done playing two rounds as a Xenomorph.

I hated it to begin with, but once I got a hold of the controls I enjoyed it very much. I'm afraid the Predators are too powerful (which was always a worry) but maybe I just think that because their death-frisbee is always flying at me. :p

This went from a "maybe" to a "must buy". I look forward to the campaign and other MP modes; a team of Aliens vs a team of Marines makes my mouth water.

The death animations were cool, and I'm glad they weren't instant; you have to take a chance to use them. But nothing is more satisfying then chomping a Marine's face off, or decapitating him via your tail.

Glad to see they're going to implement "skins", that was something I wanted very early on.

Overall, I am pleased.

8. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah, there's going to be a learning curve to any game that isn't a simple shooter, even the Bad Company 2 demo has a learning curve. It didn't take long to pick up the basic controls in this case (maybe it's easier on a controller?), and once you know what you're doing it's awesome. The predators and aliens are powerful, but I actually had more success as a marine; I just ran around waiting to find a fight between two aliens and then gunned them both down. I got so many multi-kills that way.

Although I do admit, I still haven't figured out how to shoot the predator's weapon, I haven't had much chance to play as him.

9. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Me either. Both chances I played as an Alien. I think the Marine will be good; we're all used to taking aim and shooting so if you're into shooters, most strategies you use in any shooter will apply. Except, you know, adapted for Aliens and giant Killing Machines.

10. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    Rebellion made the first AVP shooter for the PC years ago. I've been following this one for a while wondering...

Does anyone remember AVP 2?

AVP 2 was wonderful and much easier to play compared to the one that came before it. If I don't see any innovation past that one, I'm not going to be impressed. I feel like AVP 2 has been somewhat snubbed by the editorials and other gaming jounalists.

11. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Rebellion doesn't want to give too much credit to Monolith ;)
    But I do hope they secretly paid attention to some of the stuff they did on AvP2. Last time I played that was... October or so. It's that good. I hardly remember the first one.

12. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    AvP2 was definitely the better of the AvP games. To this day playing as a Marine had some of the scariest video game moments ever for me.

13. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    Multiplayer in AVP2 was epic--especially with features like the xenomorph life-cycle (go from face-hugger to queen).

I thought Monolith improved the game so much with the sequel. That's why I'm worried this might be a step back in terms of gameplay/innovation, but with a more shiny coat of paint i.e. Next gen lighting, textures, etc.

14. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Well I never played the old ones, so it doesn't bother me. It's certainly not anything original, so if you still pine for the old days maybe you should keep away from this one. [face_thinking]

15. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    I usually never bother with multiplayer, but I still remember a couple of matches in AvP2. God the Predator was so easy, it was probably overpowered. But so much fun.

Couldn't say the same for this one's MP demo - which has now been removed from my Steam, because I'm in Germany. :rolleyes:

16. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Played the Demo. *-ing awesome. I never played the first two, but I am a huge fan of Aliens and the Predator movies.

I prefer the alien. Best match I played, I broke all the lights on the level, and waited while the rest of the players(all marines and predators) duked it out while I picked them off when they weren't looking.

There is some room for improvement though. The predator's claws do way too much damage at too long a range. And the alien's wall crawling needs a bit of fine tuning.

Apart from that, its great.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    My friend's husband downloaded the PS3 demo and was playing it with his brothers the other night while we watched (when the time starts to run low as the Marine and that marching drum music kicks in, I couldn't resist belting out some "WAHHH-duduh-WAHH-WATTA-WAHH, WAHHH-duduh-WAH-dah-dah-DUH!" singing to bring about the true Aliens music experience ;)).

It definitely has the right feel to the universe- and having a Marine face off against a Xeno in close proximity still makes you jumpy, though that homing machine gun helps a heck of a lot.

I like how the motions (not the framerate) aren't 100% smooth, but just jumpy enough to give you that sense of frantic looking around. Adds a level of realism I hadn't expected.

Out of curiosity- what does that device by the garage door-looking area actually do anyways?

18. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    There are some objects the predator can interact with, which I assume is picking up projectile weapons. I haven't actually had chance to find out, as I always get killed trying to activate one.

I wish I had more chance to select what class I play with, but I love the predator so far. The buzz noise that comes with changing to thermal vision just makes me feel like I'm in the movie, it's great. :D

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    One thing that stuck out to me though was the Predator vision modes- shouldn't Yautja's lack a "normal vision" mode and have to rely entirely on heat and IR views?

20. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I have no idea what a Yautja is. :p

The biggest problem at the moment (at least on Xbox Live) is that hardly anyone is playing it. I tried a few matches tonight and never got above three people in a game. Where is everyone?

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yautja is to Predator as Xenomorph is to Alien.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    This goes back to the Jaguar game, where the Predators had normal vision and you could toggle between the different types of heat vision. Apparently with this game, they're doing what was done back then. It's probably done as a means of being gammer frienly for those who don't want the challenge of seeing in the standard Predator vision.

23. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    But 90% of the time you're in some vision mode anyway... at least I was. First thing when a level starts, switch to a view-mode.
    And if I saw that right from my 10 minutes in the demo, the vision modes don't limit the visible distance, so there is even less reason to switch to normal view now.

24. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    IIRC previous AvP games had 4 vision modes for the Preds:
    "Normal" - What humans see.
    Thermal - Highlights humans.
    Bio-electric - Highlights Aliens and androids (like Bishop).
    Pred-tech - Highlights other Predators and their weapons.

25. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Is this at all comparable to the PC game that came out ages ago? 'cuz muh gawd that game was good and scary. Loved it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.