main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aliens vs Predator

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by zacparis, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Had a game of four Marines and four Aliens on the demo last night; everyone teamed up with their respective species.

Felt so right. I really can't wait to hunt down the other teams as a specific species. That "every-man-for-himself" nonsense will hardly get played. It's like playing that mode in MW2 -- fun enough for a quick match, but we all know the team games are where the meat is.

But I'm amazed at how screwed the usability of this demo sometimes is. There's simply no way to spawn an empty room to get used to the controls, movement, and items. This is especially an issue with three different races, all with their own thing. I wonder how many people spawned into levels, got buttraped ten times in the first half-minute while flailing around, then quit and vowed never to buy this game?

2. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    If you read above, me. Well, apart from not buying the game. Besides ME2, it's the only one I really want this year. Could care less about BioShock2, don't know if I will get AssCreed2 on release, never was a StarCraft (or RTS) fan, TOR has been delayed aaaaand... I don't even know what else comes out this year.

3. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Well at least I finally found out how to change class in the pre-game lobby.

This whole free-for-all thing is a bit strange though. Will there be actual team matches, where you can't kill your own side? There better be, I hate team kills, especially when you get scores for it. [face_plain]

4. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I can guarantee you that there will be team matches.
    This demo is fun, but it doesn't represent the strengths of the game. Aliens work best in tandem with one another, hitting the lights and attacking from multiple angles.

There is also supposed to be a mixed species Team Deathmatch, where teams can be made up of all three classes working together.

5. Psycho_Sith

Psycho_Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    Haha...yeah, that took me about 7 or 8 tries of messing around in the lobby to figure out also.

Did you ever figure out how to activate Predator weaons after you pick them up?
    Select the weapon from its inventory slot in your d-pad and use R trigger to fire (the two I picked up worked this way).

6. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I've been on the fence about this game...
    so ERE-body's feedback on the demo is most appreciated.

7. Rytar_Drak

Rytar_Drak Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2010
    I'm not interested in games like these. They seem like average macho games that will be boring to play.

8. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    This game was mostly made for people who are familiar with the first two games.

9. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Thanks for letting us know.

10. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    Is there a demo for the computer? I loved the AvP movies. I want to at least try out the demo before I decide I will get it when it comes out. I watched the trailer and it was awesome.

11. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah there's a demo on Steam. It's multiplayer only though.

12. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    Multiplayer is fine. I would prefer to play a multiplayer as a demo. Less disappointing when the demo ends with most campaign demos.

Could someone link me to the demo. I am having trouble finding it.

13. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    You'll have to download Steam, and then just search for Aliens vs Predator and it should come up.

14. Psycho_Sith

Aug 3, 2003
    Lol, that comment just made my entire day.
    ...wow.

15. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Hey does anybody know if it will have split screen death match as well as online play?

16. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Gamespot Review is up
    http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/aliensvspredatorworkingtitle/review.html

Ah well, multiplayer still is fun.

17. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    8.5/10 on IGN.

I guess you either love it or hate it.

18. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    You can say that again, Zac.
    GameSpot ab-so-lutely CRUSHED AvP... and Nate at IGN did NOTHING of the sort. So much for finding a consensus.:p

19. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Gamespot is too quick to bash anything that isn't TEH HALOZ, or MODURN WERFARE TOO!

20. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
  21. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    I played a prior AvP, probably the second one? I'm not really sure, one of my college roommates was into it and he got it on our three computers and we played each other a few times, but we couldn't play on the internet. It seemed a lot more fun than this new one.

And this demo multiplayer has some serious issues when it comes to matchmaking. I generally suck and run around getting killed the few times I've played.

22. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    I don't go to Gamespot anymore. They too hard on games. Like, really. It's stupid. They seem to just bash every aspect of the game and dissect it to a pile of nothing. And it's bad.

I hadn't seen an IGN review until it was posted. I have a copy on pre-order and some games to trade in, so I'll be getting it.

23. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    GameInformer gave it a 5.75...out of 10

Yikes.

So I tried the demo,

Can you pounce as the alien (was really useful in AVP2)? I've been trying to figure that out.

Seems like it might play better on a PC (again...maybe just because I'm an old fanboy of AVP 2)

Also I feel like the "grab" mechanic is flawed in that it leaves you completely vulnerable to attack from someone else because of the context-sensitive forced animation. Not only that, but the action seemed somewhat lacking, and the controls felt like they needed some tightening. Playing this game felt like driving a car that will only turn left/right after you've pulled the wheel almost a half-turn. Perhaps, I need to look at my sensitivity options :p?

I also noticed the distinct lack of music and general atmosphere--seemed rather bland in some ways.

Still, I love tearing people apart as a xenomorph...except, the claw attacks don't feel very powerful or menacing either...I dunno

The demo left me rather disappointed. I'm eager to give this one a rental and try the single player campaign.

24. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Yeah, I'm mosdef trying before buying this.

25. Psycho_Sith

Aug 3, 2003
    Yeah, that's the general vibe with AvP & reviews, they're either 8 and up or 5.5 and lower. Meh, whatever...I'm picking up my copy today and I'm stoked about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.