main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

All 6 Star Wars Films In 3D For Summer 2007!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Dayton, OH' started by Mr_Self_Destrukt, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr_Self_Destrukt

Mr_Self_Destrukt Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2004
    I got the following from worldinteractive.com

March 17, 2005 (Las Vegas) ? Today at ShoWest, Texas Instruments DLP Cinema unvield their prototype 3D product. The images were shown on a 48-foot white matte screen, and projected on a Christie CP 2000 DLP Cinema projector with a Dolby surround sound system. Doug Darrow, Business Development Manager for TI DLP Cinema hosted, with filmmakers George Lucas, James Cameron, Robert Zemeckis, Robert Rodriguez and Randall Kleiser in attendance.

George Lucas and James Cameron each introduced a collection clips during the presentation. The first, introduced by Lucas, showcased the 2D to 3D conversion process perfected by In-Three. 2D to 3D conversion clips introduced by Lucas included the speeder chase from ?Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones,? Tony Scott?s ?Top Gun,? Disney?s ?Lilo and Stitch? and the entire first reel of ?Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.? The 3D conversions were spectacular, but even wearing the streamlined LCD glasses, ghosting occurred. Regardless this minor issue, Lucas feels that this 3D digital conversion actually outshines the original film. According to Lucas, a number of demos have been made to his company over the past 20 years by various companies, but In-Three?s was the first one to meet his standards. Lucas is planning to release his entire Star Wars saga in 3D for the 30th anniversary in 2007.

Lucas has been pushing digital solutions for almost eight years. According to the filmmaker, the more he?s used digital solutions, the more advantages he has encountered and the more possibilities he has discovered. Because 30-40% of films today utilize a digital negative, the preparation of films for digital cinema will be cost efficient. The advantages of a digital presentation are the lack of weave due to sprockets, scratches and tears. Whereas a film print degrades the more it is shown, a digital print retains its pristine condition.

After Lucas, Cameron introduced a selection of clips showcasing how digital 3D projection disregards the way the film was shot. Cameron?s montage consisted of clips from his 3D features ?Ghosts of the Abyss? and ?Aliens of the Deep,? both filmed with a combination of a 3D digital rig and CGI; Cameron?s ?Terminator 2: 3D? from Universal Studios Theme Parks, shot on 5perf/65mm; Robert Rodriguez? ?Spy Kids 3D,? a hybrid of live action and CGI; CGI clips form Peter Jackson?s ?Lord of the Rings? films (following up Jackson?s appearance in 3D during the Lucas portion of the presentation, where Jackson lends his support to the new technology with his ultimate goal being hobbits in 3D); and Robert Zemeckis? ?The Polar Express,? filmed with performance capture and starring virtual characters. ?Ghosts,? ?Aliens,? and ?Polar? have all been screened in 3D on IMAX screens, but this was the first 3D digital screening of scenes from ?Spy Kids? utilizing polarized lenses which allowed for a full-color image and completely impressed its director, Rodriguez.

Cameron noted that we now exist in a production world where all parts of production (filming, post, CGI) are digital, and where, with digital projection, it?s possible for a movie to live its entire existence without seeing a single sprocket. This results in the most perfect 3D image possible. According to Cameron, the specs for 3D projection are outlined in the DCI (Digital Cinema Initiative) specs (this statement contradicts what Charles Swarz of USC?s Entertainment Technology Center stated at an earlier ShoWest presentation). Cameron said that 3D is currently available only in the IMAX format. He wants 3D to be available in every multiplex, pointing out that the IMAX version of ?The Polar Express? grossed $45 million, meaning that 35% of the film?s revenue came from only 2% of its screens. By increasing the number of 3D

2. Sean_Starrider

Sean_Starrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    Sounds awesome! Can't wait for the 30th anniversary. :)

3. Jedi_Junkie

Jedi_Junkie Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
  4. Jedi-Jules-Vernon

Jedi-Jules-Vernon Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2005
    This is a horrible idea...

Overkill...

5. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Why do you think it's overkill? I think seeing Star Wars in 3d would be awesome.

6. True_Killer

True_Killer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    I do kinda agree it might be a overkill..But of course i'll be there first day when released..haha

7. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Could you explain how you think it'd be overkill? I'd really like to know. Is it because the movies already have such awesome special effets? Or because there's already so much of it that's computer enhanced?

8. True_Killer

Jun 1, 2005
    Ok, You probably read in many artciles such as myself that Lucas isn't really happy with the films cause he couldnt afford the budget back then and the technology wasn't around back then..

But they are great films, (i'm talking about the original 3)..He enhanced them enough to where they almost look like they were filmed yesterday..He should just leave it alone..Thats why we love it so much..Cause the special effects back in the day...This is just me, i'm not bashing anyone who likes it..Heck i said i'll be their first day, haha..

But, it all boils down to i just seen to much enhanced special effects, suited up versions of the old SW movies..

9. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003

Alright, I understand where you're coming from with that. I wish he would have just left the OT alone and not added all that crap in the Special Editions, I wish he'd've atleast given us the option of buying the SE or OT on DVD.. That does annoy me. Now that I think about it, I don't see the OT transferring as well to 3d format, I think the prequels will look neat in 3d. - And we all know that if there's a Star Wars released we'll see it no matter what. ;)

10. True_Killer

Jun 1, 2005
    haha..Exactly..the new ones will be great in 3D..The Obi-One and Anakin fight will be amazing..The pod race in E1 will be awesome

11. jedimartymcfly

jedimartymcfly Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2005
    i'll see it in a heartbeat!

12. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Me too. =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.