main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CE16 All about London (not really, but some info at least)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , Apr 28, 2015.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Now I want to start this post by making clear that I'm not a Londoner. I do love the city though and I've been there quite a few times, so I do have some experience in getting around as a tourist. I hope that people actually living there will be happy to fill this thread with more information and answer questions if you have any.

Just as a reminder. Star Wars Celebration London will take place at the ExCeL Exhibition and Convention Centre.

Airports
    If you fly into London, you can end up in of five airports.

[​IMG]

Heathrow
    Heathrow is the largest airport, with most connections to all over the world. If you fly in from the US you are most likely to land here. Heathrow is congested and overcrowded, but I have personally not have had problems flying in there, I have heard horror stories about delays and lost luggages though.

The London Underground is extended all the way to Heathrow, so you can take the tube from the airport to central London. Going on the tube takes quite a long time though, I think the last time I did it took more than an hour.

The fastest way to central London is by Heathrow Express. It goes every 15 minutes directly to Paddington station, and I don't think the price is too much. It is cheaper to buy a return ticket straight away, at this time (2015) kids travel free in the company of an adult.

Gatwick
    Gatwick is the second largest airport. It mostly serves European routes and charter, but there are some global routes as well, including a few to the US. If you are planning on not only seeing London, but rather visit southern England then Gatwick is a better gateway than Heatrow.

Gatwick is connected to the national railway system. There is a Gatwick Express that goes to London Victoria Station, but other railway companies are also stopping by Gatwick.

Stansted
    Stansted is farthest from central London.It does only have charter flights to the US, but a lot of routes to Europe. It's mostly known as a base for the lowcost carrier Ryanair, but some other airlines fly there as well.

There is a Stansted Express, but there are also busses going into London. They take a lot longer, but are also a lot cheaper, and if you are going to Stansted then you probably do that because you want your trip to be as cheap as possible.

Luton
    Luton is mainly an airport for low cost carriers and charters. As such most flights are to European destination.

Luton is connected to the national railway system, even if you need to take a shuttle bus from the airport to the railway station. The trains from Luton go to London St Pancras, there are also busses available.

London City Airport
    London City Airport is the smallest of the London airports, but for Celebration it's very interesting. It's situated in the Docklands, just like the ExCeL centre. The airport only has one short runway, built on a pier, so only small aircraft can use it. The only connection to the US is the British Airways all-business class route to New York.

The airport is connected to the Docklands Light Railway, DLR, which is integrated in the London Underground system. It's not on the same line as the Excel, but they are in the same price zone.

Trains
    Since the Channel Tunnel was built London is connected to the European railway network. The Eurostar trains offer connection on high speed lines to Paris and Brussels, and from there you can switch to other destinations. The Eurostar trains use St Pancras as their terminus.

Local Transportation
    If you are planning to go anywhere in London you need to get familiar with Transport for London. It is responsible both for the tube services and the Docklands Light Railway (DLR). The stop closest to the Excel center is Customs House for Excel on the DLR.
    [​IMG]

As for tickets, there are several options, depending on how much you are planning to travel, so it's important to read up on what's best for you. The fare system is built around zones, the more zones you go through, the more expensive it is. Most of central London is within zone 1, but Customs House for Excel is in zone 3, so if you stay in central London you need to buy a 1-4 zone ticket.

The two ticket options are Oyster card, which is a plastic card that you top up for usage, or paper tickets, which come as daily travelcards or single ride tickets. As soon as you make more than two journeys in a day it's cheaper to use the Oyster card or a daily travelcard.

Hotels
    The hotel situation this time is very different from 2007, with a lot more hotels to offer. The ExCeL convention centre has this map where you can search for hotels, and they have options to search both for onsite hotels and hotels within walking distance.

The hotels listed as on site are:
    Aloft London ExCel
    Crowne Plaza London Docklands
    Novotel London ExCeL
    Ramada Docklands Hotel
    Connaught House Hotel
    Premier Inn London Docklands
    Ibis London ExCel
    Sunborn Yacht Hotel

There are of course a lot of hotels out there in London in all price and comfort categories. Since the ExCeL is not in the city centre it might take some time to go there if you are staying in central London. For example last time I was in London I flew in to London City Airport, which is the same distance from central London as the ExCeL, but stayed at an hotel in a hotel close to Paddington Station, where you can find a lot of fairly cheap hotels, and it took me around one hour between the airport and the hotel.

Also the standard of hotels in London can definitely be lower than US hotels, especially when it comes to the size of the rooms. Cheap hotels also don't always offer en suite bathrooms and If breakfast is included it's usually toast, cereal and eggs with tea.

Electricity
    If you are coming from Europe or the US remember to pack an adaptor for your electrial charges. From Europe it should be enough with a socket adaptor, but from the US you might also need a voltage converter, since the UK electrical sytem is packing 230 V compared to the US 120 V.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    A note for smokers - just before the first Celebration in London a smoking ban came into effect here. There is no smoking in public buildings, pubs, and restaurants. If you want to puff you'll have to go outside. I'm not sure on the hotel situation with that - if you smoke you might want to check when making a reservation. (I don't so not a concern for me).

I live out near Heathrow Airport so I'm local. Any specific questions feel free to ask.

jawajames likes this.
  3. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    glad to know we got a local on our side!

LAJ_FETT likes this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    A further note to the smoking post above - public transport is also smoke-free so don't light up on the Tube or trains..

5. Carrie1138

Carrie1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 14, 2014
    East Londoner here.

As a supplement to the tube map, there's also various overground and local "national rail" trains available, most of which also accept Oyster cards.
    [​IMG]

I wouldn't advise anyone to buy paper tickets for single journeys, they're more expensive than Oyster prices these days. Also not sure if/how this will work for overseas people, but the Oyster readers now accept contactless credit/debit cards as well, which might save you the hassle of getting an Oyster card. Tubes and trains start running around 5:30am weekdays, and finish around 1am. At weekends, they start later and there are fewer trains on some lines. There are some 24-hour buses.

6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    On the note of credit/debit cards, most ATMs are on a network so you can use your overseas card for money assuming your card is in the network. Fees vary - some ATMs charge for cards outside their own bank and your own bank might charge for use of the card at a different bank. In my case, I've used one of my US debit cards here and the US bank charges a $5 fee but the Natwest ATM doesn't charge at all. My UK bank does though.
    Also, if you are going to use overseas cards here I recommend letting your bank know closer to your travel date. In my case, I was sent a replacement US debit card because the old one was expiring and it wouldn't work here. I had to call the US bank and they had to authorize it for foreign use. (This is even though they send me statements to my UK address.) So if in doubt ask your bank.
    And on the Oyster card use mentioned above, I think some of the stations outside London still don't take them as they haven't yet been upgraded. I know last time I went on a train from my local station it was paper ticket. If you're in London you should be fine though.

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Cross-posted from the 'Is London Worth It' thread:

Madame Tussauds in London is opening a major SW exhibit this month. I can't find out how long it's going to run but if it's still there at CE time and you're coming you might want to pencil in a visit. Buy tickets before-hand for this one - lines at Tussauds and London Dungeon (one of their other attractions) can be so long that they stop selling tickets for the day well ahead of closing time.

8. KendallByrd

KendallByrd Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2016
    I have been to the SW exhibit and it is a bit of all right! I loved it, but you have to make sure you ask for it, it is not in the standard tour and you have to go through everything else before you get to it. The exhibit is well done and you can pose with all the displays. I enjoyed posing with Vader and Slave Leia when I was there.

9. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    I'm curious. How is it seperated from the main tour?

10. KendallByrd

KendallByrd Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2016

When you reach the end of the regular tour you see a 4D Avengers film........if you bought the SW wristband you go out one door to continue if you didn't buy the wristband you are shown to another door to exit to gift shop and out of the museum.