main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

All About Padme

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Pfft, Apr 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pfft

Pfft Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2003
    Do you think Padme has been successfully portrayed in the movie as well as through merhcandise?

Do you think Padme has had less of an impact of female fans than Leia?

2. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    Ep I or II board

3. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    Well considering that Queen Amidala's costume was one of the biggest sellers for Halloween 1999, then yes, obviously she's making some king of impact.

Leia, on the other hand, has the buns in her hair. Sorry, but no one can top that.

4. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    I think she has, as much a Leia in fact. just a more 2000 style type character that all can enjoy.

5. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Padme dolls don't sell as much as Leia...they still have tons at my local toy store their down to 99cent still can't get rid of them. While the Leia stuff sold real fast. Leia paved the way for tough women action stars but then again if Lucas did the flims in order wonder if Padme would of done the same thing for women action stars as Leia did.

6. amien

amien Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2002
    I think Leia is your typical action herione - she's tough, witty, etc. Padmé is more stiff, you can tell she's a politician. She doesn't really have one-liners, isn't as spunky, you know. Padme's action scenes are ... well, she's cool, but I have a hard time believing she's a real fighter. Not that this is a *bad* thing, Padme and Leia have different personalities and thank God for that. I just see Leia as a more fun character for young girls, she's got the spunk and the gun. Padme seems more intelligent and reserved.

However I think Padme gets the cooler costumes/hair styles. She has so many to choose from, and they're all so complicated and beautiful. It's true that she can't beat Leia's famous bun hairstyle (even people who don't watch SW still recognize this hairstyle). Padme's got these sophisicated, rich, complex outfits, while Leia is more practical and simple.

7. Pfft

Mar 6, 2003
    Do you think GL has tried to make Padme more like Leia?

8. FogeyKenobi

FogeyKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2003
    Padme's character has definitley been patterned to be aggressive and assertive similar to Leia's.

9. MikeSolo

Aug 6, 2002
    Yea GL is going to make Padme have a lot of Leia's behavior because Padme is Leia's her mom. Like mother like Daugther or in this case like daughter like mother I dunno.

10. DARTHYODA3663

DARTHYODA3663 Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2003
    yes, i think padme has been sucsesfully portrayed in the movies. She has done everything perfectly. and i cant leave here without mentioning the fact that she is So fricken hot!

11. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    I'm curious to know what the people in this thread might think about this.

12. MikeSolo

Aug 6, 2002
    I don't think much about it cause i'm not a huge Padme fan ( her daugther is better and hotter in my opinion :) :p ) I don't think she went back for Shimi cause she was busy doing more important things and forgot. Or maybe just maybe the Jedi Council told Padme to stay away from freeing Anakin's mother.

13. xSithHappensx

xSithHappensx Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 21, 2002
    I like Portman, and I like the idea of Padme. But I don't necessarily like Portman in the role of Padme. Padme could benefit more by having some of Natalie's real life persona come through. She seems too much like an actor playing a role instead of a natural extension of the actor.

That said, I don't think Portman is suited for the action sequences. She's a little too dainty IMO. Leia had just a little bit of butch in her that made her tough. Yet she still looked great in ROTJ. anyone notice how girly Padme runs when she gets up off the sand in AOTC?

That made more sense in my head.

Regarding marketing, I think it's fine. I just wish LEGO would release more female figures. Not a single Amidala figure, and no Padme from AOTC. I'd love a royal starship set from TPM, complete with Queen Amidala and handmaidens and perhaps an arena set to compliment the existing Geonosis sets from AOTC.

14. Pfft

Mar 6, 2003
    Well, I think Padme is the 'Luke' of the PT. Therefore, she has been severly under marketed.

15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I think she's .... er...
    I don't know what to make of her, if I had to describe her I'd say : she's pretty, she's thin, she changes her clothes A LOT, (in fact she changes so often I'm wondering if she has a hygiene problem, maybe she's incontinent.) And she likes politics. And that's it.

It's funny how Lucas really broke new ground with female characterization with Leia and then 20 years later he gives us Padme who is..... well I don't know what she is.

What are her characteristics?

Can someone who likes her please tell me what you like about her (apart from how pretty she is

gez).

16. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I like both of 'em. I don't think they're very similar though: Leia has always reminded me more of her father in every way but her looks. I see much more of Padme's more gentle, optomistic views in Luke than I do in Leia.

That said, I do think she probably has less of an impact. Padme unfortunately gets pushed to the side a lot and she doesn't really make the same impact that other characters in the PT do. (In AOTC, several of the scenes which fleshed out her character a bit more wound up on the cutting room floor.)

17. Pfft

Mar 6, 2003
    Well, if you go by the AotC script, Padme has QUITE a personal journey in AotC.

I Should Not Have Come Back

When we open on AotC, Padme is nearly killed after her continuing efforts in trying to be the peaceful representative of her home planet of Naboo. Only with the death of Corde does she suddenly realise that she could have been killed and that her life remains unfilled.

Enter: Anakin Skywalker

Yes, that cute little fellow from TPM turns up on her doorstep all handsome and grown up. Anakin flirts with Padme a little bit but Padme really doesn't think too much of it. She's far too cold for her own good.

Suddenly, a second attack against her forces the Senator to retreat back to Naboo. While packing, Anakin continues to flirt with Amidala. However, she coldly rejects him and even offends him. Padme is aware of Anakin's affection, but puts "Amidala" into play by rejecting him and becoming Senator Amidala rather than Padme Naberrie.

PADME
    Pride?!? Annie, you?re very young, and you don?t have a very firm grip on politics. I suggest you reserve your opinions for some other time.

PADME
    I?m sorry? You sounded exactly like that little boy I once knew, when he didn?t get his way.

So Padme and Anakin head off in the freighter back to Naboo. Padme, alone with Anakin, begins to test the flirting waters. At first, she continues her 'Senator' role by downplaying the romantic notions Anakin has for Naboo:

PADME
    You were just a little boy then. It may not be as you remember it; time changes your perception.

Of course, the whole bit about Love = Compassion is Anakin's blatant delcaration of his love for Padme. Padme is aware of this and quickly changes topic to something she is more comfortable with, and which also relfects her own personal desires; family.

Anakin is able to communicate to Padme in regards to family and Padme can communicate her passions through Anakin, which is one of the great parts of Attack of the Clones. Padme knows that Anakin misses his mother as much as she misses hers and she is able to empathise with Anakin very clearly on this matter.

PADME
    (changing the subject) You were dreaming about your mother earlier, weren?t you?

Which then brings us to Naboo where Padme's (and Anakin's) desires becomes crystal-clear.

ANAKIN
    Well, tell me, did you dream of pwer and politics when you were a little girl?

PADME
    (laughing) No. That was the last thing I thought of. My dream was to help in the ?Refugee Relief Movement.? I never thought of running for elected office. But the more history I studied, the more I realized how much good politicians could do. So when I was eight, I joined the ?Apprentice Legislators,? then later on became a Senatorial advisor, with such a passion that, before I knew it, I was elected Queen. Partly because I scored so high on my education certificate, but for the most part it was my conviction that reform was possible. I wasn?t the youngest Queen ever elected, but now that I think back on it, I?m not sure I was old enough. I?m not sure I was ready.

This is one of the most important speeches in AotC because it clearly shows that Padme has never had enough time to carry out her dreams. She became consumed by work and neglected herself by putting others in front of her ("she was kind, yet sad"). But this has turned her cold over the last many years.

Finally she admits:

Actually, I was hoping to have a family by now? My sisters have the most amazing, wonderful kids? but when the Queen asked me to serve as Senator, I couldn?t refuse her.

Her political life has secluded her and she admits that she is not where she wants to be in life. Work has consumed her. So now she is on a planet about to be put into a secluded location with only one thing: the boy who loves her. But first she must do one thing to connect the "family" tie...visit -

The Family

After a warm welcome

18. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Pfft -

that was a very interesting post, but if Padme is so caring about people, loves family, cares for Anakin etc. then how come she never helped free Shmi from slavery? Shmi, who risked the life of her only child so that Padme could get off the planet and save Naboo.

gez

19. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    It's quite possible she couldn't rescue Shmi. I'm sure she was busy rebuilding Naboo and being Queen she'd have a lot of duties...plus I'm sure she doesn't have a lot of juristiction in Tatooine. Remember, it's not part of the Republic, so she doesn't have a lot of power there.

20. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "it's not part of the Republic, so she doesn't have a lot of power there."

That didn't seem to stop her at Geonosis.

21. kekesun

kekesun Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2002
    "it's not part of the Republic, so she doesn't have a lot of power there."

Well,I believe after the death of Shmi,Padme couldn't bear to see Anakin suffering again(losing his own master).So she decided to help Obi-Wan,despite her own safety and the fact that Geonosis was out of the Republic's control.

How come she never helped free Shmi from slavery?

To me,this question sounds like "How come Leia didn't mourn greatly for the explosion of Alderaan?It's her own planet!"

Politicians can't be too sentimental IMHO.Both Padme and Leia had many more important things to do.

22. Pfft

Mar 6, 2003
    ...if Padme is so caring about people, loves family, cares for Anakin etc. then how come she never helped free Shmi from slavery?

I didn't say Padme was caring; I think she is far from it.

Obi-Wan makes a great speech about how politicians are only interested in their own causes. While most people may look at what Padme wants politically, it really falls on what she wants personally.

Padme actually uses Anakin to satisfy her own downfalls in her quest for a family.Thus she uses him. Anakin, is of course, blind to both Padme and Palpatine.

Tatooine is not part of the Republic. Padme offered this to Shmi.

But Geonosis WAS part of the Republic. It belonged to the Techno Union and came under the jurisdiciton of the Republic. At the point of her landing, the Techno Union and other commerce guilds had not left the Republic officially.

Shmi, who risked the life of her only child so that Padme could get off the planet and save Naboo.

Yeah, but Padme was against having Anakin race. She protested several times about it. She even told Shmi that she would find some other means.

23. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    So Padme had more important things to worry about did she? For 10 years? She did nothing for 10 years.

So Tatooine is out of the Republic's jurisdiction, SO WHAT? Why do folks keep bringing up the Republic. QG proved you can free a person from slavery.
    All Padme had to do was send someone to offer Watto something for Shmi.

Shmi helped some stranger (Padme) by allowing her only son to risk his life. And her thanks from Padme - zilch.

I guess there's no votes in it.

Is this what we're meant to think of Padme? She's a cold-hearted politician?

gez

24. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Qui-Gon doesn't work for the Republic and even if Padme sent someone to Tatooine to free Shmi, that person will tell her what you pointed out.

25. JediHunterCommand

JediHunterCommand Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2003
    I haven't thought a great deal about Padme as a character. (As for Portman in the role -- the acting could leave a bit to be desired, but part of that's directing and dialogue. Also, I think her voice is very nice.)

I think on the whole that Padme grew up too fast. Not much of a childhood -- otherwise how did she become queen at 13 or whatever? I also think that despite her power she's always been controlled and manipulated by others. Hence her desire for Anakin -- it's an act of rebellion, a break for freedom.

I feel rather sorry for her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.