main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends All Anyone Can Do - Sian Ny and Obi-Wan

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: All Anyone Can Do
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Sian Ny and Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Summary: Obi-Wan is finding it difficult to help Qui-Gon deal with the loss of someone he loved.

All Anyone Can Do

Obi-Wan was uncharacteristically subdued and Sian Ny noted the way the boy?s shoulders were slumped, as if he were unspeakably weary?or perhaps grieving. Sian remained silent for a moment, letting the young Padawan gather his thoughts. Eventually, he would speak. Or not, Sian admitted to himself.

Clearly, Obi-Wan had sought him out for a reason and Sian was willing to plumb the depths of his less than legendary patience for his best friend?s apprentice. Quietly, he sat beside Obi-Wan, giving comfort without words or gestures simply with his silence and understanding.

?You know Qui-Gon better than anyone else, don?t you?? Obi-Wan finally murmured, not taking his eyes off of the busy lanes of traffic in the Coruscant sky.

?I guess I do,? Sian answered, glancing at Obi-Wan?s face, which was set into harsh lines that made him look a decade older than he really was.

?Tell me then,? Obi-Wan said, in a voice that was raspy with emotion that the boy would not allow to be reflected in his expression. ?How do I see him through this??

?Do you want the comforting answer or the truth?? Sian asked.

Obi-Wan turned to look at Sian, pausing for a moment. Then he answered simply, ?The truth.?

Sian sighed and wrenched his gaze from Obi-Wan?s. He understood the young man?s desire to comfort his Master; he even appreciated it. The sad fact was, however, that Qui-Gon could not be comforted. He must endure the pain of his own grief, with only his own resources. Sian knew that truth all too well himself.

?The truth is that you cannot help Qui-Gon,? Sian replied. ?He is in pain, and that pain must be endured. He must feel his sorrow.? He patted Obi-Wan on the arm. ?In time, the pain will fade and there will be nothing but an old ache there, the memory of what was and no longer exists.? He smiled sadly. ?But the pain will be there. Always.?

Obi-Wan?s jaw clenched as he crossed his arms over his chest. ?There should be something I can do,? he muttered.

?Well, there isn?t,? Sian said emphatically. ?And the sooner you accept the fact that you can?t fix everything in this galaxy, the better off you?ll be.?

The young man was silent for a moment and then he turned, letting every emotion he was not supposed to feel show in his eyes for just a moment. ?He?s hurting, Sian.?

Sian sighed and lowered his eyes, unable to meet the intensity of Obi-Wan?s gaze. ?I know,? he murmured, his own sorrow and regret obvious. ?But this is something I can?t make go away?and neither can you.?

?I can?t stand to see him like this,? Obi-Wan said, frustration evident in his rough voice.

?He loved her,? Sian said simply. ?And now she?s dead.? He put a hand on the boy?s shoulder. ?You have to let him honor his love?and his grief.?

?Master Yoda says we should not feel sadness when someone we care about becomes one with the Force,? Obi-Wan murmured. He glanced at Sian. ?What do you say??

Sian laughed and shook his head. ?The little troll and I don?t agree on many things, and I guess that?s just one in a very long list.?

?Aren?t all Jedi supposed to feel that way?? There was honest curiosity in Obi-Wan?s voice.

?I?ve never been very good at being everything a good Jedi is supposed to be,? Sian observed with no bitterness. ?I fear that I am a man before I am a Jedi, but somehow I still find a way to be of service to a cause that is greater than myself.? He had long ago accepted that he existed outside the normal boundaries of a Jedi Knight's defined role. Far from being ashamed, he was secretly proud of his rebel status. Pride was just another thing that Jedi were not supposed to experience.

Obi-Wan absorbed his words for a long moment, obviously struggling with the idea that a Jedi could be something other than what tradition called for them to be. ?I think you?re a good Jedi,? Obi-W

2. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Simply beautiful. [face_love] =D=

?If Master had not loved her, he would not grieve,? Obi-Wan noted. ?Maybe there is a reason for those rules.?

?Yes, I daresay life would be much more comfortable if we could simply stop caring,? Sian murmured. An old pain laced his words. ?But I think we lose something vital when we try to distance ourselves from our feelings, from experiencing the emotions the Force gave us.?

?You?ve felt grief,? Obi-Wan said after a moment. ?After your Padawan died, Master Qui-Gon told me so.?

?I still feel grief,? Sian corrected him. ?That won?t end until I do.?

?Oh.? The young man seemed at a loss at this blunt confession.

?We cannot?? Sian words trailed off. ?To feel the Force is a good thing,? he continued. ?But along with that serenity, the Force has given us other gifts, things that aren?t serene or wise, but are just as much a part of this life as anything else.?

?So?you?re saying we should feel things like love and grief,? Obi-Wan said.

?I?m saying you should not think of those things as wrong, they simply are.?

That part showed Sian's wisdom. It's good Sian is there for both Qui-gon and young Obi-wan. :)

But then, I'm just happy Sian is there. ;)

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Yippee another of your Sian Ny beauties. Lovely story with Obi-Wan and Sian

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005

Qui-Gon knows you care,? Sian told him. ?And for now, that is enough.?

?And when it isn?t??

?When Qui-Gon is ready to move beyond this first acceptance of what is, then you will know, and you will be there for him,? Sian assured him. ?You will know when Qui-Gon is ready to get on with the business of living again, and you will be at his side.?

?But -?

?He knows, and he will one day be able to appreciate your caring and loyalty,? Sian interrupted. ?For now, that has to be enough?for both of you.?

Their eyes met.

?I think I understand,? Obi-Wan said at last. A rueful smile flashed. ?At least I?m trying to understand.?

Sian returned the smile. ?That is all anyone can do, despite what the troll says.?

Simply lovely, as always and so full of honesty.

5. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    What a lovely thoughtful piece. Obi-Wan has not experienced loss, so he can?t really understand but Sian does a beautiful job of explaining what Qui-Gon is going through and consoling Obi-Wan at the same time.

Beautiful @};-

6. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    *waves at azizah*

Lovely little vig, MamaVader. Of course you know how much I love Sian.:)

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    That was gorgeous!

I loved seeing the compassionate and, yes, wise side of Sian

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

?I think you?re a good Jedi,? Obi-Wan said at last, giving Sian a quick smile. ?No matter what Qui-Gon says.?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Nice to see that bit of humor there. I think Obi-Wan needed the laugh...however brief.

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    A lovely, introspective story. Why is it, when trying to comfort those we care about, that we feel like failures if they don't respond to our comfort as we think they should? Part of growing up is realizing that you can't fix everything. Sometimes, all you can offer is silent support and a willing ear, and then be patient.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.