main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Fallout

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I really liked what I saw of the Special system. From the brief glance we got, it looked like there was very few attribute points to assign therefore we will have to think carefully about how we pick out stats. In Fallout 3, it seemed like there was way too many SPECIAL points and it was too easy to be good at everything. The armor customization was also cool. I sure hope that they have some Enclave pieces hidden away somewhere. I also liked the brief shot of the player attacking Brotherhood of Steel soldiers. I have hated those guys since Fallout 1, and one of my chief annoyances in 3 was that you could not actively appose them in the main storyline. Hopefully Bethesda has extended their idea of Freedom to narrative this time around. I'm not too pleased about the voiced protagonist (seemed a bit too much like Mass Effect) but at least they still have the option to select the gender of the protagonist. The character creator also looks a lot better than Fallout 3's or New Vegas's.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Whatever man, who cares about the plot when you can farm?

[​IMG]

Shadow Trooper likes this.
  3. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I, by contrast, will be rather annoyed if you're railroaded into fighting the Brotherhood. The DC one is nothing like the one out West, so long as Lyons is still in charge.

4. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    Actually, I would be angry with that too. Not because I like the BoS, but rather that I am against the idea of the player having no control over their relationship with the wasteland's factions. One of my favorite parts about New Vegas was the faction reputation system, and the player's ability to choose which faction to support.

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Probably not something you should be getting your hopes up for, honestly. Bethesda has never been very good at providing choices within plotlines, only choices between a given set of fixed plotlines to pursue (I.E., go do the X Guild, then the Y Guild, then the Z Guild), and the E3 presentation was definitely focusing more on a large open world experience than the kind of narrative interactions that Obsidian deals in. Is the end result going to be something that fits into the niche of compelling storytelling the way Fallout 1, 2, and NV did? No. Am I going to care? I'm... thinking not, honestly.

That said, the fact that they appear to be going for dialogue trees in the interactions is interesting but might not be indicative of anything.

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I have never played any Fallout games, but The Elder Scrolls, at least Skyrim and Oblivion, and the fact Bethesda published Wolfenstein: The New Order definitely have me interested in giving more of their games a try.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Looks nuts.... in a really good way.

8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Fallout 4 Kills Montage Trailer - IGN Live: E3: 2015

Warning: Language.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/06/15/fallout-4-kills-montage-trailer-ign-live-e3-2015

I want!

Edit: Zeta1127: Since you're still stuck on last gen as I am (something I need to rectify ASAP), you owe it to yourself to try out Fallout 3, since it's simply one of the best games of the last generation. Even if the graphics look a bit tougher than Skyrim's, in many ways, it's a much superior game - especially the combat, thanks to V.A.T.S. And it's simply a spectacular experience. That way you can familiarize yourself with the world of Fallout by the time November rolls around.

Regardless, this holiday season just got busy.

9. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Zeta1127: I agree, you really should get Fallout 3. The GotY edition has all the DLC on disk and you can find it used for cheap.

I haven't seen the E3 thing yet but everything I've seen on the internet is exciting. I'm far too tempted by the PipBoy edition but I don't have much spare space. Would be excellent for Cosplayers though.

Was there mention of being able to modify medium armour like you can with power armour? I'm not a fan of heavy armour so I might just have a suit of power armour to look pretty but that'd be it.

10. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    There probably is an option to modify any armor. The crafting system just looks insane.

11. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I think I remember them saying something about being able to mess with armor layers. Or something.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Just watched the crafting vid - looks wonderfully insane, it takes the Skyrim Hearthfire idea and then runs it on acid....

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh, good, I wasn't planning on accomplishing anything this November I guess.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    It's been a few years now and encountering a Deathclaw in the Capital Wasteland still gives me the heebiejeebies. But those we've now seen in that "trailer" are absolutely, poop-dropping terrifying. I so don't want to be grabbed by one of those things before it proceeds to go Freddy Kruger on my unlucky ***.

15. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah can they seriously release this on November 10th.

16. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Why not?

17. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Because deep down some of us doubt Bethesda will stick to the date they announced? I mean, it's entirely possible they've been hard at work on it for years and that they'll have the thing out by November. But it is usually the norm - not the exception - for a highly anticipated AAA title to NOT make it's announced launch date first time out of the gate. Especially when that date is just less than five months from now.

JediMatteus likes this.
  18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Normally if you have a turn around that quick in your back pocket you're already in the final stages of development.

Plus, uh, I think we all know from experience that Bethesda has no qualms about shipping a buggy game. :p

JediMatteus likes this.
  19. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Oh, no doubt. It wouldn't a Bethesda game without it having plenty of lolwut bugs at launch.

JediMatteus likes this.
  20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't forget head scratching ones like the Marked for Death and Drain Vitality Bug with Dawnguard from Skyrim, I still can't believe they never fixed that one with any patches.

21. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    I have a question about new vegas(I made it to that town with the roller coaster then gave up)This is the first fallout game I have ever played and am only playing it because skyrim is scratched. When does the game stop being boring? Its just....The start is nothing compared to skyrim.In this game you help a few people in a boring,generic looking town(At least I bet the rest of the towns look almost the same)fight bandits. In skyrim Alduin, bane of kings sets everything around you on fire and you go to a cool Edoras clone, and save people from a DRAGON. In this game you fight a bunch of people(I had reached these points at roughly the same time) and don't do anything interesting like find out you are Dovahkiin(But gasp! I was carring a package!). I cant find a way to move at a decent speed since there seems to be no horse or car or giant deathspider mount.

But I could forgive all this if I could EXPLORE an INTERESTING world. So far the game has provided endless ugly wasteland and animals that stop me from exploring the endless ugly wasteland. Unlike Skyrim where I could wander through a land of cold beauty and avoid animals that stop me from exploring it with my horse. So I ask again: When does the game become fun? I know it must be because loads of people love it. I want to enjoy this game but there has been nothing to enjoy so far.

22. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    If you don't like the non-fantasy setting, find the wasteland ugly, don't like the lower-key storyline where you are just a guy...perhaps you just don't like the game. Asking 'when does it become fun' to a bunch of people that loved the game immediately isn't going to help you.

Oh and the towns don't look at all the same.

23. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    It probably would've been better if he had picked up Fallout 3 first. But comparing the Wasteland to Tamriel is, well, lol worthy. The latter is a magical place in a fantasy setting, the former is the remnant of the world after a nuclear apocalypse. Both have their own sets of rules, loot to find, monsters to vanquish. That's fun to be found in the Wasteland, just don't expect to cast spells and ride dragons.

Oh yeah, the dragons are called Deathclaws, and they can be as terrifying to face and as satisfying to destroy.

24. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    I dont consider snow,The Northern lights and pretty sunsets and rises magical. I dont care if the mojave is meant to be an eyesore: Its not very entertaining.It could be as beautiful as the carribean in Black flag and it wouldnt mater to me anyway as I cant go anywhere without being slaughtered. Vegas looks cool from the little I can see across a deathclaw infested empty space thats roughly a mile away. Whats fallout three like? Does it have exploring unlike NV?

25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I never played NV, but yes, like Skyrim, Fallout 3 has plenty of exploring to do. Except that the setting is the remnants of Washington DC.

Again, the Fallout series is set in Post Nuclear Apocalyptia. Think Mad Max, but without cars. The world is meant to look mostly like crap. The nights can be beautiful, but without Northern Lights.