main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Fallout

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Sep 29, 2014.

1. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    So fallout 3 is set in a city? That sounds interesting.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Not exactly. The Capital Wasteland is the setting of the game. The remnants of DC are just about a quarter of the game map. The rest of the map is comprised of mostly open barren wasteland with a few settlements that used to be parts of the surrounding suburbs and towns. The game's main and side quests will take you just about every corner of the map. But if I'm not mistaken that map is a bit smaller than Skyrim's. Some extension picks take you the remnants of Pittsburgh and Point Lookout, MA. Another takes you inside an alien spaceship but IMO it wasn't exactly the best of the DLCs.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The hooks in New Vegas are the story choices and interactions with various factions; if you want free-wheeling, Elder Scrolls-style exploration you want Fallout 3.

Also, real talk, you're not supposed to cross that deathclaw-infested expanse of wasteland, you're supposed to follow the road. Multiple NPCs tell you to follow the road specifically so you don't keep trying to cross the deathclaw-infested expanse of wasteland. Based on your complaints you're so early in the game that while there are interesting plot hooks you haven't gotten past the initial mystery of why you were shot in the face.

4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    yep. Fallout 3 is better imo anyway

5. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm trying to play Fallout 3 but it keeps freezing after about 15 minutes or so. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

6. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Wait, it's already available to play on the Xbone?

7. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
  8. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    i think it is really different how you build furniture and otehr shelters and stuff like minecraft.

9. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm not sure it is like Minecraft. You do get to build stuff but it seems to be limited to places where there were houses before so all the foundations and stuff are in place. It does look good though and I'll probably spend a while making a little shack to call home, where Dogmeat can curl up by my side. When you have an expansive game like Fallout or Skyrim you just really want a place to call home.

In the run up to Fallout 4 I'm playing through Fallout 3. I've got the first part up now, and it's a long one. Turns out it took me 75 minutes to leave the vault! Anyways, here it is:

My friend is doing New Vegas for the same reason. She's awesome and this is the start of her series:

Sorry if it's not allowed, I just thought people might be interested in this.

TX-20 likes this.
  10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    If anything I'd say the furniture system is a close kin to The Sims, with crafting materials substituted for cash. The idea strikes me as a natural evolution on Hearthfire, or, perhaps more accurately, it's what Hearthfire probably ought to have been.

And speaking of that particular Skyrim expansion, if it's any indication of how much time I'll sink into that part of Fallout 4 I will never, ever finish the main plot because I'll be too busy tracking down ten nails and a copper filament.

11. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    lol. yeah i never really did much with hearthfire. but i am looking foward to what is new with fallout 4. at least the combat seems the same. I think that is a good thing.

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    For anyone who wants to get the whole Fallout series, there's a great collection over at the GAME website. It's all five games so far (so it doesn't include Fallout 4) in one collectable mini-nuke shaped package! Unfortunately it's too heavy to ship internationally, but it should be good to get if it's available in your area. I already have Fallout 3 and New Vegas but it seems worth it for the other three games and the mini-nuke container.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/fallout-anthology-733290

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Tactics is never worth it. I got it for free from GOG and I still feel like I kind of got ripped off. :p

Ender Sai likes this.
  14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Bethesda apparently looked at Witcher 3 and said "Hey, we can do that update thing!"

And shockingly that interesting "mods on console" feature is not actually exclusive to the system that hasn't moved as many units. I know we're all quite flabbergasted.

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't remember that ever being an exclusive thing. There was speculation because MS announced it and no one mentioned that it was coming to PS4, but wild (and inacurate) speculation is all it was. It's not actually new information, nor is it shocking.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008

I believe this is the first "official" confirmation that the feature will be on PS4, however.

17. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    All the Fallout games were great.

18. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    Just started another play through of Fallout. I'm thinking of doing a melee weapon/retard hero character this time just to experience the Low Int dialogues. I usually go with ranged weapons and high speech/diplomatic characters in Fallout 1, so this character is like the polar opposite of most of my favorite character build. This should be interesting.
    As a side note, does anybody else think that the Gifted Trait was way too overpowered in the original Fallouts. Most of the skills had limited application, where as SPECIAL SPECIAL points extremely useful. The Trade off of Skill points for SPECIAL stats was really unfair, even when playing as a Low INT character, because the most important skills can be raised through Tag or Skill Books in the Hub.

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Gifted was dumb broken back in the first game, to the point that I can't think of a single build where I wouldn't take it.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Well were less then a week away from Fallout 4.

I hope Bethesda can pull it off.

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm confident it will scratch the Skyrim and Fallout 3 itch while utterly failing to scratch the New Vegas itch and, honestly, I've decided I'm okay with that.

22. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I think it'd be fantastic if Obsidian got another crack at the franchise. As good as 3 was, New Vegas was absolutely my favorite.

23. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    So the consensus is that New Vegas was an overall better game than 3?

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Depends on what you mean by "the consensus"; as far as I've been able to tell from polls, Twitter, and such the folks who prefer New Vegas (myself included) are a vocal minority. It's certainly worth a try if you enjoy story-driven RPGs, though.

In any case, launch trailer! Assume the hype position.

Jedi Ben and TX-20 like this.
  25. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    That trailer is testing my resolve. I'm reluctant to buy Fallout on launch since both 3 and New Vegas were unplayable for me because of bugs, but the game looks like a lot of fun judging by the trailer. I can't wait to see what the modding community comes up with.
    I've noticed that people whom played Fallout 1 and 2 generally prefer New Vegas while fans whom started with the Bethesda games like Fallout 3 more. I fall into the former camp since New Vegas felt more like the old games to me (Familiar setting, Hardcore mode, More plot reactivity, better writing), but Fallout 3 was still a pretty fun for an open world game. Bethesda games are quite a different experience compared to the Black Isle and Obsidian developed games.