main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph All Five Horizons: A Pearl Jam discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Strilo , Dec 31, 2002.

1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Pearl Jam is my favorite band of all time. They have a new album out (Riot Act), a new single getting a fair amount of play (I Am Mine) and a new tour ready to kick off down under.

They seem to be one of the only bands from the 90s that still have success today and will have longevity. I could see them being around for years and just putting out good rock that might not sell 10 million copies but that sells. And I think they will continue to sell out concerts around the world.

Anyone else like them?

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  2. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I'm not a huge fan of recent rock music, but PJ is one of the bands I like that have made it big in the last ten years. They seem to have at least one great track on every release, usually 2 or 3.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  3. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well, Pearl Jam announced the rest of their 2003 tour in support of Riot Act. Though some dates are missing, most notabley my home town of Portland OR and of course Seattle WA, the rest of the tour seems there... I also see some places they have not played in a while, like Vancouver BC...

Leg One

April 1 Denver, CO - Pepsi Center
    April 3 Oklahoma City, OK - Ford Center
    April 5 San Antonio, TX - Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
    April 6 Houston, TX - Cynthia Wood Mitchell Pavilion
    April 8 New Orleans, LA - New Orleans Arena
    April 9 Birmingham, AL - Birmingham Jefferson Convention Complex
    April 11 West Palm Beach, FL - Coral Sky Amphitheater
    April 13 Tampa, FL - St. Pete Times Forum
    April 15 Raleigh, NC - Alltel Pavilion Walnut Creek
    April 16 Charlotte, NC - Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
    April 18 Nashville, TN - Am South Amphitheater
    April 19 Atlanta, GA - Hi Fi Buys Amphitheater
    April 21 Lexington, KY - Rupp Arena
    April 22 St. Louis, MO - Savvis Center
    April 23 Champaign, IL - Assembly Center
    April 25 Cleveland, OH - Gund Arena
    April 26 Pittsburgh, PA - Mellon Arena
    April 28 Philadelphia, PA - First Union Spectrum Arena
    April 29 Albany, NY - Pepsi Center
    April 30 Uniondale, NY - Nassau Coliseum
    May 2 Buffalo, NY - HSBC Arena
    May 3 State College, PA - Bryce Jordan Center

Leg Two

May 28 Missoula, MT - Adams Fieldhouse
    May 30 Vancouver, BC - GM Place
    June 1 San Francisco, CA - Shoreline Amphitheatre
    June 2 Los Angeles, CA - Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
    June 5 San Diego, CA - San Diego Sports Arena
    June 6 Las Vegas, NV - Mandalay Bay Events Center
    June 7 Phoenix, AZ - Cricket Pavilion
    June 9 Dallas, TX - Smirnoff Music Center
    June 10 Little Rock, AR - Alltel Arena
    June 12 Kansas City, MO - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
    June 13 Council Bluff, IA - Mid-America Center
    June 15 Fargo, ND - Fargo Dome
    June 16 St. Paul, MN - Xcell Arena
    June 18 Chicago, IL - United Center
    June 19 Cincinnati, OH - Riverbend Music Center
    June 21 East Troy, WI - Alpine Valley Music Center
    June 22 Nobelsville, IN - Verizon Wireless Music Center
    June 24 Columbus, OH - Polaris Amphitheater
    June 25 Detroit, MI - Detroit Energy Center
    June 28 Toronto, ONT - Molson Amphitheatre
    June 29 Montreal, QUE - Bell Center
    July 1 Washington, DC - Nissan Pavilion at Stone Ridge
    July 2 Boston, MA - Tweeter Center for the Performing Arts
    July 5 Philadelphia, PA - Tweeter Center
    July 8 New York, NY -

4. Convalescent

Convalescent Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2003
    I saw the dates the other day, and am excited! They are coming to Charlotte, NC, and I can't wait. I have yet to see them here in NC, cuz I just moved here a few months ago. But, the venue is only 10 minutes away, so!

I saw them in 96 in Buffalo-NY, 98 in Pittsbugh-PA, and 2000 in Pittsburgh-PA.

5. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Wow, June 21 is a Saturday. I just might be able to swing this... :)

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Nice! I have seen them 5 times now. I just saw them in November in Seattle... was amazing. I was closer than I have ever been. Before that I saw them in Seattle, Portland and Tampa in 2000 and then in Portland in 1998. Every time they have been amazing, totally different feel and setlist. They rock.

Still no Portland or Seattle dates on this tour but I am glad that you guys have shows near you. :)

7. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Pearl Jam is also my favourite band of all time!

I hope that they make a sequel to the 'Touring Band 2000' DVD... that would be awesome!

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  8. gotyoda

gotyoda Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 21, 2003
    I saw them a couple years ago even though I hadn't really listened to them since vs came out. My brother had an extra ticket and I went. I enjoyed the show they played black which was incredible.

Nothing will beat 10 for the time it came out. Great high school memories.

9. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Pearl Jam are here in Australia next month!

Unfortunately, I don't have a ticket to their concert! :(

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    TheGatherer I KNEW I liked you!!! *high five*

Surely there must still be tickets on sale down under... you should go. I saw them in Seattle in Nov and the show was incredible. The new material is awesome live.

I might be road tripping it with friends up to Vancouver BC to see them in April. Should be fun.

11. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I don't know anyone else going... don't really want to go by myself.

12. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Great googly moogly..

P---- J--? (In my religion, the unmentionable word is a curse of the highest order)

Up there on my list of least-talented bands EVER..

I used to not like Kurt Cobain, but then it came out in his diaries that he was embarassed to be associated/compared to Pearl Jam.

From that day forward, Cobain was my hero.

So YOU people are among those responsible for Pearl Jam still being allowed to produce "music" (and i use that word with reluctance!)

I'm in the process of informing any/all federal agencies that i can find about this thread's existence...

I'd flee the country if i were you..

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Thanks for that insightful post Drew. I am not going to bother replying.

TheGatherer oh MAN that's a bad reason! They only come down under like every FOUR years!!! Find someone!

:D

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'd ask, Drew, that if you're going to post a negative response, which of course you can, seeing as this is a discussion forum, not a fan club forum, that you give your reasoning. Why exactly do you feel they're such untalented hacks . . . ? Can you rationalize it? If not . . .

15. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...how do you rationalize your dislike for a band who's popularity quite possibly serves as one of the first signs of the coming apocalypse?

Geepers.. It's, like, just one of those things.. You either realize the pending destruction of all civilization as we know it, or you enjoy Pearl Jam..

It's pretty cut and dry.... :)

They're hacks! Untalented, undeservingly popular hacks!

Their music is of the worst kind, derivative and uninovative. A souless copy of other 'bands' that appeared during the 'grunge' era AKA the Dark Ages of Music.

They do 'covers' of older songs and absolutely murder them..

After my friend forced me to listen to the Vitalogy CD, back in the day, i actually Zaphod Breebleboxed myself, safely locking off the portion of my brain that recalls the dreadful experience of listening to that "band" from finding it's way into my cognitive mind EVER again......

Sure, you guffaw at my response. You don't realize that YOU *points the finger squarely at YOU* are contributing to the downfall of all of civilization!

In 200000 years, when Aliens come to the ravaged, wasted Earth and somehow find a way to unlock the server which this site operates on, they'll find THIS thread, and then they'll say "Oh,see? That explains why this entire race went extinct RIGHT here....A seemingly harmless, inexplicable enjoyment of an absolute talentless-void of a Band..Poor guys..Sad, really.."

Then they'll recolonize our planet with beings who have TASTE in music ;)

Course, that'll be just shortly before the sun explodes and vaporizes the entire system, eliminating any and all trace Remenants of Pearl Jam...

Oh, beautiful day...

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Are they any worse than Pat Boone?

Seriously, no soul, derivative, etc . . .? In what way, if this is true, does this music then contribute to the downfall of civilization?

It is, by your definition, "comfort music." What's wrong with that?

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Man your statements are so extreme and ludicrous. You make it sound like Pearl Jam are the anti christ or WORSE. Sounds like either you are just being an ass or you take music WAAAAAAAAAAAAY to seriously.

18. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    I was one of the many many people that bought their first hit album "10". Then I didn't get any others. Looking at their sales figures that was a real trend.

I do like many of their singles but have never bought another album. My question to you die-hard fans is what album is their best if was interested in getting another PJ cd for my collection?

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Uruk-hai I will tell you right now, Pearl Jam has never liked the big, wet, over-the-top, lots of reverb production of Ten. They would probably go back and change it if they could. SO they really have nothing else that sounds like Ten, nor will they ever. That being said, I think their other album that is the most easily accessible to the casual fan would be 1998's Yield. I would suggest checking out "Given to Fly," "Wishlist," "MFC" and "In Hiding."

Also so you know, the downward trend of their album sales is something they have said they did intentionally. Being called the most important band in rock (bollucks I might add) and the millions of albums selling ... the crazieness surrounding things in the mid 90s put a TON of pressure on them that they never wanted. So they deliberately put the brakes on so they could pare things down to a managable level. This is something, they have said in their interviews for their new album that just came out, that they feel they have done what they intended and things are at a good stage for them now.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  20. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    They do 'covers' of older songs and absolutely murder them..

I rather like a lot of Pearl Jam's covers. And the point is not necessarily that they are better than the original. They offer a different, fresh performance. Does Ed have a real shot at bettering John Lennon on I've Got A Feeling? No, but it is PJ's interpretation of that classic. I like it. Others may not like them, but I think they are done respectfully, and not "absolutely murdered".

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah and the Who has PLAYED WITH Eddie Vedder, and Pete Townshend really likes how Ed sings their songs... and being he WROTE the stuff I'd say that's pretty high praise. Does Pete think Ed is better than Roger? I highly doubt it. But one does not have to be better than the original to be good and enjoyable.

Ken any recommendations for Uruk-hai?

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  22. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    There are a lot of great songs among other PJ albums, but yeah, I'd go with strilo's suggestion of Yield as the next album to get.

Maybe one of the live cd's might be interesting as well. :)

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well if yer gonna get one of the official bootlegs from the 2000 tour, then get Seattle 2... Nov 6, 2000. It is simply incredible.

24. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    In addition to Yield, I'd highly recommend Vs.

Okay, so this is an Amphitheatre thread; however, so far it appears to be devoid of any Amphitheatre-worthy discussion. I think it would be good to get some actual in-depth discussion going. I'll start by posting my thoughts on one of my favorite songs of all time, "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter In A Small Town." Here are the lyrics:

I seem to recognize your face
    Haunting, familiar, yet I can't seem to place it
    Cannot find the candle of thought to light your name
    Lifetimes are catching up with me
    All these changes taking place,
    I wish I'd seen the place
    But no one's ever taken me
    Hearts and thoughts they fade, fade away... (2x)

I swear I recognize your breath
    Memories like fingerprints are slowly raising
    Me you wouldn't recall, for I'm not my former
    It's hard when you're stuck upon the shelf
    I changed by not changing at all, small town predicts my fate
    Perhaps that's what no one wants to see
    I just want to scream...hello...
    My god its been so long, never dreamed you'd return
    But now here you are, and here I am
    Hearts and thoughts they fade...away...

Hearts and thoughts they fade, fade away... (2x)
    Hearts and thoughts they fade...away...
    Hearts and thoughts they fade, fade away... (3x)
    Hearts and thoughts they fade...

Now, first of all, the title... it's a rather long and unusual-sounding title for a song. But it goes perfectly with the song. The lyrics of the song are rather general and could be talking about many different people. The title gives a specific example that the lyrics apply to. You can just imagine this elderly woman in a quiet little diner when a familiar face from the past walks in, but she finds that her memories have faded. It's a sad song that really conveys a feeling of loneliness/emptiness to me and the title helps make this point.

Another great thing about the song is the use of figurative language. There are two images in particular that I really like: "Cannot find the candle of thought to light your name" and "Memories like fingerprints are slowly raising." Two very beautiful and emotional lines.

An extremely interesting thing about this song is the use of rhyme. Rhyming occurs but a few times, and always in an untraditional manner. The first occurence is "I seem to recognize your face/Haunting, familiar, yet I can't seem to place it." What's unusual is that "place," unlike "face," is not at the end of its line, but has one more word after it. The next instance of rhyme comes shortly after, as four consecutive (but all of them different) lines end with "me," "place," "place," and "me." Of course, usually rhyming is between two different words, not two of the same word, but you can still hear the rhyme in these lines. It sounds a bit unusual. To me all the examples of untraditional rhyming I've mentioned contribute to the sense that something is wrong, but do so without interrupting the flow of the song.

There's one more use of rhyme in the song. What? you might say. I don't see it anywhere. And you're right, because it's actually not there. But at the same time, it is. "Me you wouldn't recall, for I'm not my former/It's hard when you're stuck upon the shelf." I'm not my former what? I'm not my former self, of course. "Shelf" rhymes with the unspoken last word of the previous line, in what is kind of the reverse of the "face/place it" example. This very unusual use of rhyming helps convey the idea that something is missing.

And one more thing that I have to comment on is the incredible emotion expressed in the last few lines of the song (before the repeated "Hearts and thoughts...") at the end. It's just so amazing every time I hear it, especially "I just want to scream... Hellooooo!" I get chills. And then eventually the song just fades away. It's so sad and so beautiful.

25. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    Thanks for the info guys - I'll check out Yield when I have some spare cash, though I need to get an old Tom Waits cd first.