main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph All Five Horizons: A Pearl Jam discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Strilo , Dec 31, 2002.

1. malcolm-darth-am-i

malcolm-darth-am-i Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2005
    So Tim, I have to say my original views of Pearl Jam have been shattered in recent months.

I picked up Ten a little while back. And I love it. And then after picked up Rearview Mirror and I really like them. And now see why you love them like I love U2.

Couple things I really like:

Eds voice is purely unique in many was. He can really belt it. And it sounds great.

The guys can sure play the hell out of their instruments.

And a lot like U2. Their style changes over the years, while still staying true to themselves.

They are truly one of the greatest Rock bands out there. And under rated, they deserve way more credit than they got. And I hope they tour NA again in the next couple years, as I will pay a lot of money to see these guys.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    In like 1994 Rolling Stone called them the most important band in rock. I think they got the respect they deserve. I also think that they continue to get respect from other musicians and bands and artists out there. Most of the listening public doesn't really think of music in terms of respect. They merely like a band's music or they don't.

3. malcolm-darth-am-i

May 21, 2005
    I respect most musicians. Even if I don't like their music. And to add what you said about other musicians respecting them. So true. And Them helping close on of the largest rock tours of all time: the Vertigo Tour(2nd highest Grossing tour of all time(Was 1 for a short while) behind A Bigger Bang Tour). To me showed how much U2 respected them. And to this day I still don't understand the uproar among Pearl Jam fans to that arrangement was.

And I am defiantly gonna check these guys out live. Cause from the stuff I've heard. They are just as good live...if not better.

4. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The uproar is quite simply that a band of Pearl Jam's stature should not be opening for anyone, in many fans' opinions. Personally for me it was my personal loathing of U2.

5. malcolm-darth-am-i

May 21, 2005
    Well the way I see it was 3 bands played that night. I forget the opener, then Pearl Jam and U2.

But like I said I think it was U2 showing their respect to Pearl Jam and asking them to help close up the Vertigo tour.

But yes I somewhat agree that if it were any other show on the tour that Pearl Jam should not be opening. And I would agree. Like if U2 ever opened a show U2 fans would be in an uproar.

But anyways any suggestions for what album to pick up. I was looking at Live On Two Legs. It any good?

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It's a great live album compilation. Are you only interesting in their live stuff?

7. malcolm-darth-am-i

May 21, 2005
    No no no. Im interested in everything. But most things I read say they really come into their own live.

And well for some reason I like live stuff better. But I am interested in all the stuff.

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well Live on Two Legs is good but I prefer the actual shows, rather than a compilation. Albumwise, I think Ten, Vs. Vitalogy to start. Also the new self titled album is fantastic. The other albums are great but they're more experimental and offbeat for Pearl Jam.

9. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Did you guys see last night's setlist for the Vic show?! :eek:

August 2, 2007 - Chicago, Illinois; The Vic Theatre

Set List: All Or None, Education, Sad, In Hiding, Parachutes, I'm Open, Wishlist, Down, Undone, Off He Goes, Hard To Imagine, God's Dice, World Wide Suicide, Rats, Gone, Why Go
    1st encore: No More, Inside Job, Low Light, Love Reign O'er Me (by The Who)
    2nd encore: Comatose, Black Diamond (by Kiss), Sonic Reducer (by Dead Boys)
    3rd encore: Indifference with guest Ben Harper

[face_hypnotized]

God I wish I had been there :( That's freakin' awesome :_| I think Matt sang on "Black Diamond"! :eek:

And in other Pearl Jam news we haven't discussed yet, a leaked unreleased promo of some rarities that were going to be used for Lost Dogs hit the interwebs :eek: Here's the tracklisting:

1. Anything In Between
    2. In The Moonlight
    3. Fatal
    4. Sad
    5. Wishing Well
    6. Hitchhikers
    7. Puzzle And Game
    8. Education
    9. Sweet Lew
    10. Sunburn
    11. Hold On
    12. Just A Girl
    13. Alone (From 10)
    14. Brother
    15. Don't Gimme No Lip
    16. Bee Girl
    17. Against The 70's
    18. New Jeremy (From A Bootleg)

[face_hypnotized]

I've heard some of them, and there's a reason they were left off :p "Sunburn" features Stone singing though, and is pretty good. "Puzzle & Games" is an early version of Light Years. Very different musically and not as good.

And lastly, Eddie Vedder is basically releasing a solo album of September 11th (or maybe 18th, I've heard conflicting things). He's written a bunch of songs for Sean Penn's new movie "Into the Wild" and the soundtrack is pretty much all Eddie. Here's a nice article about it . Here's the tracklisting:

1. The Main Theme
    2. Hurricane
    3. 2x4
    4. Half Full
    5. Satellite
    6. Into The Wild
    7. The Power of Earth
    8. Tearing the Flannel
    9. Masters of Alaska
    10. Exodus
    11. Ukulele Theme
    12. Love Theme
    13. Final Score

I can't wait for this. I am so happy we're finally going to get a recorded version of "Satellite". It's my favorite of Vedder's unrecorded solo stuff from 2002 (though I've always wanted him to just record a whole album of those songs, because they were beautiful). No idea if "Half Full" is our beloved PJ song or something else. Perhaps a ukuleleized version of the song :p Also, I had to laugh when I saw one of the songs was titled "Tearing the Flannel" [face_laugh] This should be good :D

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah I knew about the solo album. That should be exciting. As for that setlist, holy **** that is amazing! What a show, full of rarities too! Man. I had no idea they were playing I'm Open! Wow.

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Pearl Jam's recent show was webcast by AT&T, who apparently censored part of the song "Daughter" when Ed made a lyrical change to say "George Bush, leave the world alone." The issue has become big enough to be reported on the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6939853.stm

12. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Cool that they played Black Diamond. Not the most famous KISS song, but quite possibly their best. The Replacements did a great cover of it on their "Let It Be" album. Really shows how good a band KISS could have been if they'd ditched the gimmicks and concentrated on music.

13. malcolm-darth-am-i

May 21, 2005
    Stupid censorship. I think that they violated the Freedom of speech. And Censorship should only be used to bleep out swear words, anti-Semitic comments, racist comments but not political views.

I guess this all reminds me of the Dixi Chick incident. People have freedom of speech and are all entitled to our opinions its what makes us unique. And when government and mass public bash you for your views its seems to me more like a dictatorship than a democracy.

everyone has a right to say stuff. I hate Bush...I am glad I am a canadian and led by a different person. but even then I am ashamed of my leader as well.

I think the censorship is ridiculous and AT&T has now said that this isnt the first time they have censored something.

I applaud Vedder and Pearl Jam for what they said and how AT&T shouldnt have censored it out.

sorry to turn this into a political thing.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah AT&T sucks for censoring that stuff. It's lame.

15. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I finally read the full article. Seems like even At&T realizes they were lame for editing it. At the same time, though, it should really be a "wake up call" to bands to consider before signing sponsorship deals. When you take the corporations money, it'S not for free.

And Malcolm, no violation of freedom of speech -- under the rights guaranteed under the Bill of Rights only relate to government action. If the government was doing the webcast and edited it, that would be a violation. AT&T, as a private entity, can do anything they want.

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    AT&T's "realization" seems like a PR response to me. It's happened before and it will happen again. Yankee is right, it's not a violation of the Constitution, but it is a crappy thing to do and they should get a **** storm for it.

17. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    AT&T is the new Cingular

18. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    A ****-storm would definitely be in order.

Question: did AT&T have a deal with Pearl Jam directly or with Lollapalooza as a whole? You'd certainly hope the band would avoid corporate sponsorship in the future after this.

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It was with Lollapalooza as a whole.

20. StateOfLoveAndTrust

StateOfLoveAndTrust Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2001
    I just preordered my Picture In A Frame DVD. I suggest everyone else do the same. For the betterment of humankind.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah I'd like to order it, but right now my finances are quite tight as I transition from being a student to getting a "real job."

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    You could try for a used copy. I do that quite a bit on the net. Only gotten an unusable one once.

23. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Yeah, I did of course. Comes with a free ugly t-shirt :p Looking forward to it.

Anyone else pick up the "Into the Wild" album today? Just got done listening to it and it's really good :D

24. malcolm-darth-am-i

May 21, 2005
    Loved Into The Wild. Great album and Vedder is amazing. Now only to see them when they come back to Vancouver.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I did pick up Into The Wild. I love it. I do think it's a ripoff that stores are charging 15 bucks for a 33 minute long CD though. They should be ashamed of themselves.