main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph All Five Horizons: A Pearl Jam discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Strilo , Dec 31, 2002.

1. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    It's a Tom Waits cover, and a good song. I'm looking forward to hearing it :D

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I thought it might be a cover. They played it before, a few years ago. Good stuff! :D

3. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  4. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Back from the weekend! Check out their setlist from Bonnaroo! A few rarities including a song played for the first time EVER!

Set 1
    Hard To Imagine, Corduroy, All Night, Why Go, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Down, Who You Are, Severed Hand, 1/2 Full, Animal, Even Flow, Daughter, Gone, Love Reign O'er Me, Do The Evolution, Rearviewmirror

Encore 1
    W.M.A., Better Man(Save it for Later), Black, Life Wasted, Crazy Mary, Porch

Encore 2
    No More, Release, Alive

Encore 3
    All Along The Watchtower

5. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Yeah, that setlist is insane. Definitely buying that boot.

Glad they finally broke out "All Night." :D

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah this is one I am definitely thinking about buying. What about the unusual closers?! Nice!

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    So did anyone see Pearl Jam perform on the VH1 Rock Honors for the Who? They did Love Reign O'er Me and then The Real Me. I personally love Pearl Jam's version of Love Reign O'er Me and thought they totally rocked it at the Rock Honors show. They even had a full string section!

8. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Yeah, that was badass :cool: The whole program was pretty good but I think PJ owned it [face_whistling] Definitely the best version of Love Reign O'er Me? loved the string section. The Real Me rocked too.

Strilo, you going to any of the new Vedder shows next month?

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I am in Oregon. [face_plain]

10. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    And your point is? :p

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    My point is he is touring the east coast.

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    C'est dommage.

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    What does that mean?

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    So Pearl Jam is back. They played the first show of Conan on the Tonight Show in L.A. Surprisingly, they played a brand new song from their forthcoming album, whose title was first announced on the show! Backspacer is rumored to be released in September sometime and the song they played was called "Got Some". Anyone else see this? It was a rockin performance, with Mike looking amazingly healthy and Stone rocking out more than I've seen him do in a long time. Sound was an issue, Ed was hard to hear. Good song overall. Cannot wait to hear the studio version.

Watch "Got Some" from the Tonight Show.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  15. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Yeah, I saw this when it aired and have watched it a couple times since. The performance was pretty rough (I thought it was about the worst I'd seen them do on tv the first time I watched it but it didn't seem as bad on subsequent viewings) but it's a catchy song and I really like what they're doing musically. Not a lot of lyrical depth here and Ed was struggling, partly because of the sound issue and partly because he just seems to have trouble keeping pace with it... I'm sure it will be great once they get it out on tour though.

Looking forward to the finished product. I guess there's a song Ed has been playing on his little solo tour called "The End" that's supposed to be beautiful, and is thought to be on Backspacer. We'll see.

With this and the Beatles remastered albums coming out, September is looking to be a damn good month for music =P~

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I know! I am gonna be broke buying all those Beatles remasters.

As for your accessment of Got Some on the Tonight Show, I pretty much feel the exact some way. I felt Ed was off a bit... maybe because he could not hear well. The song also feels like one of those that seems off kilter at first and then grabs you later.

17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Nothing much. [face_laugh]

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
  19. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Should've been 'Quelle domage'--it's a pity. Must have been distracted--!

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    BACKSPACER CD and Vinyl Pre-Order + The Fixer Single

http://www.pearljam.com/news

AVAILABLE NOW:
    - PEARL JAM BACKSPACER CD
    Ten Club/Indie Package. Hard-bound book style jacket.
    - PEARL JAM BACKSPACER VINYL LP
    180-gram vinyl. 24-page full-sized (11.75" x 11.75") full-color booklet.
    - "THE FIXER" SINGLE
    7" White vinyl 45 rpm record.

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I didn't think that they still made LPs.

22. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    What are everyone's thoughts on the new album, "Backspacer"?

So far, my favourite songs are: 'Just Breathe' and 'Amongst the Waves' - cool anthemic song, kind of a cross between Even Flow (good guitar solo) and Alive (chorus) IMHO.

Really like the new album.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I really like it. Short and sweet. Not sure what my favorites are so far. I really need to just live with it for a while. A few of the slower songs in the middle remind me a bit of Ed's Into The Wild stuff. Brilliant. Nice to have Brendan O'Brien back producing. I am sure I will have more thoughts to follow.

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Last Sellouts

A take on Backspacer, the first single and Pearl Jam entire from Slate.com, my favorite magazine, period.

I don't agree with the article entirely. I think Yield is one of their best albums and not at all forgettable. But I thought it was an interesting article. Thoughts on it?

25. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    I don't really disagree with the article in regards to the deal with Target? it's hard to reconcile with the band's previous stances in regards to these sorts of things. However, the article neglected to mention that the band is putting the album out themselves? there's no record label. Deals are always made between labels and distributors, so it's really nothing new. Still, I'm not really a fan of it. Though I am glad that both Target and Pearl Jam only cut out chain stores like Wal-mart and Bestbuy, and one can still pick up this record in their local record store.

Yeah, this is the reality of it. The world of music has changed drastically in the last 12 years.

As for the articles assessment of the bands career, they seem to be ignoring the effect of illegally downloading on album sales. Were there fewer Pearl Jam fans between Vitalogy and No Code? Sure, but they didn't leave in droves. They're still one of the top 10 acts in attendance and revenues on tour. As Rogue said, I think Yield was more than memorable, and I happen to love No Code and Vitalogy as well. Riot Act has never felt like a cohesive album to me, and their self titled record was the first time I really felt like the band had stopped moving forward.

I got Backspacer on Thursday and I'm still digesting it. I really like it so far though. I already think it's better than Riot Act or Avocado. "The Fixer" has grown on me. "Just Breathe" is my early favorite but I don't know if that will stick. "The End" is right up there and "Amongst the Waves" and "Unthought Known" aren't far behind. The opening with "Gonna See My Friend" and "Got Some" is tremendous. "Johnny Guitar" is different from anything this band has ever done before, and I love it. Also lovin' me some "Supersonic" [face_love]