main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph All Five Horizons: A Pearl Jam discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Strilo , Dec 31, 2002.

1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I ignore articles like that because they were written by the lame "fans" who jumped ship as soon as the band started going in new directions. As soon as the butt rock fans didn't get what they thought Pearl Jam should be, they bailed. So excuse me if I don't give a **** what they think. :) That said, I guess I can see why some people might think the Target thing is selling out. But I think it's reasonable when you read the things that the band's manager has to say on why they did it.

Also I have to disagree on Avocado not being a step forward. That album is fantastic. There are new forays into bluesier stuff ("Come Back"). Mike stepped forward and wrote a phenomenal song including lyrics ("Inside Job"). I don't view the fact that the album is more aggressive, and thus sounds more like Vs. and Vitalogy, as not moving forward. One can artistically move forward while drawing on elements of the past.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  2. StateOfLoveAndTrust

StateOfLoveAndTrust Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2001
    Pearl Jam is like the Tim Burton of music - they can't make something I don't like. I usually take to the lighter stuff first, so on one playthrough Just Breathe is at the top of my list, although the opening does remind me alot of Tuolumne from Into The Wild.

3. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    There are a few Lost Dogs I don't like...

4. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Pearl Jam Austin City Limits show airing 11/21.

Mark your calendars for this one- PJ on Austin City Limits on Saturday, November 21st. Click here http://www.austincitylimits.org/ for local stations and broadcast schedule. By me it looks like the show either airs or repeats a few times. If you missed it, be sure to check the guides for reruns. I am recording it on my DVR. :D

5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    it's now also available watching online at that address.

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Sweet! Thanks yankee!

7. VadersPappy

VadersPappy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    I like Backspacer more than Avocado but to me it seems like creatively they are stuck in a rut. "Johhny Guitar" is my favorite song from the album, but it sounds like "Insignificance" and "Grievance". I thought they were going in a new direction after Riot Act, but despite what all the critics said about Avocado, they still produce songs that sound similar.

I love the group, and are very happy with their songs, but I wish they would exapnd their sound and musical style into different places. For example, the Matt Cameron song "You Are" is a great PJ song that sounds exotic compared to their more recent stuff.

Still the best ongoing band in the world.

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't think "Johnny Guitar" sounds like either "Grievance" or "Insignificance". I think Backspacer is filled with moments like "Johnny Guitar" where they really seem to be embracing their love of the Ramones. I hear that influence through several songs, including "The Fixer" as well. I don't think Pearl Jam has to be experimenting on the level of No Code in order to be making excellent and relevant music. I don't see how the band that made "Come Back" "Inside Job" "Parachutes" "Gone" or "Unemployable" needs to worry about being stuck in a rut. All of those songs are a progression from where the band has been previously. Backspacer also has those moments. The band is pretty consistent in their progression and exploration of themselves, their music and the world around us all.

9. VadersPappy

Jul 2, 2009
    When I say experiment, why I mean is to try different sounds, tempo, vocal patterns. Like I said in my post, "You are" is an example of them moving in a new direction. Another is "All or none" from Riot Act.

Please don't misunderstand, I like the songs you mentioned very much. It just seems like Backspacer represented a step to the side, not forward. Good songs to be sure, but similar to songs we have heard in the past.

The band is so talened they can move in new, exciting directions, especially because they are taking longer to produce records than earlier in their career.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Honestly, I think they should do whatever they like and if that is make some comfortable familiar music that sounds similar to their past stuff then so be it. I thought Avocado sounded largely like Vitalogy and Vs, but it was such a great album from a songwriting perspective that it's one I listen to over and over again. With Backspacer, the band clearly wanted to step to the side or even step back to an earlier sound based on comments they made around the release of Ten Redux and the fact that they brought back Brendan O'Brien to produce for the first time since Yield. I've got zero problems with that as long as they do it well, and they did. The songs are great, so I am fine with a little less progression in sound. As long as they sound good and exciting and not stale. Backspacer has as much energy as they've had in a long time and that's what matters to me.

11. VadersPappy

Jul 2, 2009
    Stilo, you make some good points and again I love PJ and Backspacer is a very good album.

Have you (or anyone) heard if they are going to release the Philly shows on CD is stores? You apparently cannot order them throught the Ten website.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I've not heard anything, no. I am hoping to pick up a few more bootlegs with my tax return, though.

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Pearl Jam is on Saturday Night Live tonight...

14. Boba_Phat

Boba_Phat Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2000
    I thought those were some really good performances of those songs. They also appeared in a sketch last night.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I have to see this. I recorded it.

16. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    What sketch were they in? I DVRed it and fastforwarded through most of the show. Julian Casablancas was a nice surprise though :cool:

17. Man-In-Black

Man-In-Black Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2010
    I missed the SNL appearance, anywhere to see it online?

18. Boba_Phat

Boba_Phat Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2000
    It was a parody of the "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" episode from the Twilight Zone.

Here's a link: http://www.hulu.com/watch/134734/saturday-night-live-nightmare-at-20000-feet

Just Breathe: http://www.hulu.com/watch/134730/saturday-night-live-pearl-jam-just-breathe

Unthought Known: http://www.hulu.com/watch/134723/saturday-night-live-pearl-jam-unthought-known

19. VadersPappy

Jul 2, 2009
    I love just about every PJ song (even the bootlegs from Lost Dogs) but I cannot stand "Just Breathe". That belongs on the next EV solo disc, not on a PJ disc. So many great songs to play on SNL, and they choose that one. Ugh!

Great performance of "Unthought Known" Cool effects with EV's voice.

Also, I believe they made a brief non-musical appearance the first time they were on SNL. I believe Sharon Stone hosted it and during her monologue they made a brief appareance.

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yesterday passed for me very quietly the tenth anniversary of the Roskilde tragedy. It's been ten years since we lost those nine friends we'll never know and I still remember the moment I found out what had happened as if it was yesterday. The tragedy shook Pearl Jam to its core and was nearly the end of the band entirely. It sent shockwaves through the fanbase, of which I was a very active member of at the time. It's amazing how nine lives that I would never have had any awareness of somehow feel connected to me, even in a small way, because of the music and the emotional soul of Pearl Jam.

I leave you with this...

Jedi Knight Fett and Bib Fartuna like this.
  21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well today is the 20th Anniversary of the very first show Pearl Jam ever played. It was October 22, 1990 at a small club called the Off Ramp. Here we are 20 years later, they are still together, still relevant and still awesome. Here's to 20 more years!

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    So excited... in a few short weeks I will finally have PJ20 on Blu Ray. It's been a year long wait, so I am stoked to finally see the two extras discs from this Fan Club deluxe edition thing.

Also, this was posted on Twitter yesterday:

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    So Pearl Jam is playing a concert at Wrigley Field in July. And they keep posting stuff like this:

[​IMG]

As a lifelong Cubs fan, this is just about the coolest effing thing ever.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  24. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
  25. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    The magic is back!

Anyone heard the new Lightning Bolt album?

My favourite tracks are:

• Lightning Bolt
    • Sirens
    • Infallible
    • Swallowed Whole