main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph All Five Horizons: A Pearl Jam discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Strilo , Dec 31, 2002.

1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Now, first of all, the title... it's a rather long and unusual-sounding title for a song ... The lyrics of the song are rather general and could be talking about many different people. The title gives a specific example that the lyrics apply to.

I completely agree. I love the way the lyrics could go many ways, but it's the title that really anchors the thrust of the song. This truly was one of the first glimpses at Ed's more folkish and poetic side.

Another great thing about the song is the use of figurative language. There are two images in particular that I really like: "Cannot find the candle of thought to light your name" and "Memories like fingerprints are slowly raising." Two very beautiful and emotional lines.

Incredible. The candle of thought line is one that has leapt out at me from day one in 1993. Very beautiful and very visually evokative.

An extremely interesting thing about this song is the use of rhyme ... The first occurence is "I seem to recognize your face/Haunting, familiar, yet I can't seem to place it." What's unusual is that "place," unlike "face," is not at the end of its line, but has one more word after it ... There's one more use of rhyme in the song. What? you might say. I don't see it anywhere. And you're right, because it's actually not there. But at the same time, it is. "Me you wouldn't recall, for I'm not my former/It's hard when you're stuck upon the shelf." I'm not my former what? I'm not my former self, of course ... This very unusual use of rhyming helps convey the idea that something is missing.

Your observations on rhyme are something I have never considered. I did love the intentional omission of "self" as a rhyming word. This is the only invisible rhyme I know of! LOL...

Perhaps these observations will rekindle my love of a Pearl Jam song that was getting very overplayed, overused and tired for me. Honestly I have been skipping this song on Vs. and bootlegs for several years now... I think I just needed a break from it. We'll see what happens from here. :)

2. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    You make it sound like Pearl Jam are the anti christ or WORSE

Ya think? ;)

3. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Go away and stop trolling.

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Drew, I'd ask you to either post something that can be debated or steer clear of the thread. I notice you quote from strilo's post up there, but you haven't addressed my questions to you.

If you're interested in discussion, answer the questions. If you aren't, then don't bother joining in.

5. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Triple M, an Australian Radio Station, had a contest on Friday to win tickets to their Melbourne concert (the band is in Australia at the moment).

People had to swim / dive in about a few hundred litres of JAM to bob for about 10 apples... the winner getting the concert tickets.

I couldn't imagine anything more stickier!

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Hahaha that rocks! Yeah I am still pissed that there are NO Portland or Seattle shows on the tour at all...

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Dangit! The new Pearl Jam single, "Save You," came out yesterday and I cannot find it anywhere!!! Anyone buy it?

8. StateOfLoveAndTrust

StateOfLoveAndTrust Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2001
    Mine'll probably arrive today or tomorrow, but I was able to pick up a copy of the Limited Edition Ramones tribute for $9.

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Nice... is the Ramones tribute worth it? I like the song Ed does with whoever on the normal disc...

And may I just say... your nick kicks A$$!!!! I love that song!

10. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I wish Pearl Jam would release a CD with all of their B side tracks on it.

Does anyone know why they hardly play ALIVE at concerts any more?

I was a little disappointed that it wasn't on the Touring Band 2000 DVD.

11. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Temple of the Dog - "Hungerstike" by Chris Cornell and Eddie Vedder ROCKS!

Anyone heard it!?

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  12. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    Alright, who owns the Motherlovebone CD? Any thoughts on the precursor band to Pearl Jam?

13. StateOfLoveAndTrust

StateOfLoveAndTrust Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2001
    I was gonna buy the MLB disc the other day, but I ended up getting Tuatara, Sleater-Kinney, and the AiC Unplugged DVD.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I wish Pearl Jam would release a CD with all of their B side tracks on it.

They are planning to release a rarities album sometime this year, probably around the holidays... I would assume some b-sides will be on that. It is supposed to be a two CD release.

Does anyone know why they hardly play ALIVE at concerts any more?

"Alive" was played a total of 18 times on the 2000 tour. That's a decent amount for a lesser played song. It's been played once so far on the 2003 tour, but they've only played a few shows. Really, there's no telling why Pearl Jam does or doesn't play a given song. Even one of their hits. They pretty much play what they like and want to play.

Temple of the Dog - "Hungerstike" by Chris Cornell and Eddie Vedder ROCKS!

Anyone heard it!?

I own the Temple of the Dog album. I've had it since 1992. The album is amazing. One of the best rock albums of the 90s. "Hunger Strike" is good but many songs on the CD are better. "Say Hello To Heaven" is AMAZING.

Alright, who owns the Motherlovebone CD? Any thoughts on the precursor band to Pearl Jam?

Yeah I own Apple. It's a great CD. I love the sound of MLB... kinda glam grunge. Andy Wood was an amazing person with an over the top Freddie Mercury type of presence. I really love that album. "This Is Shangri-La," "Come Bite the Apple," "Man of Golden Words," "Capricorn Sister" and "Crown of Thorns" are the best songs on the album, IMHO. Also, the "Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns" on the Singles soundtrack is amazing.

Another precursor to Pearl Jam, before Mother Love Bone, is Green River. Stone and Jeff from Pearl Jam are in it as well as Mark Arm from Mudhoney. If you like both bands you might check out Green River. It is heavier and more punk than Pearl Jam though, so be warned.

15. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I head that at one of the Melbourne concerts, a fan made it past security, and got on stage.

Eddie Vedder, played along, made the guy kneel down, and then got on his shoulders, made the guy stand up, and kept singing!

Way cool!

If they make a sequel to the Touring Band 2000 DVD, I hope that this makes it into it.

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah I love it when they do cool stuff like that...

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    So I ordered two of the official bootleg live albums from two shows in Australia recently. Within 10 days of the date of the show, I have professionally mixed and mastered live CDs in my HAND!! Kick a$$!!

The packaging is generic for Australia, cardboard with a blue pattern printed on it, pretty cool. Each bootleg comes with a sticker with the show name and date to stick on the spine of the CD case. Pretty awesome stuff. They sound GREAT... even better than the 2000 series. It's so great to hear the new stuff mixed in with the stuff we know so well.

Pearl Jam is now in Japan. They just played last night (ish) in Sendai I think it was... anyway cool!

18. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Was one of your CD's from the Melbourne concert? (my home city!)

Will they be widely available in music stores, or do you have to order them online?

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    No I got Sydney #3 and Adelaide. Also, they will NOT be available in stores this time. You can only get them from Pearl Jam. Try www.pearljambootlegs.com... :)

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well the first leg of the 2003 tour is over. Pearl Jam played their last Japan show on the 6th and now are taking some time off before they start the US tour. I am still hoping that they announce Portland and Seattle shows...

Best thing about the 2003 tour in Australia and Japan? They started playing Breath again... :D

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    PEARL JAM WAR CRITICISM PROMPTS WALKOUT

Thursday, April 3, 2003 Posted: 4:20 PM EST (2120 GMT)

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- Dozens of fans walked out of a Pearl Jam concert after lead singer Eddie Vedder took a mask of President Bush and impaled it on a microphone stand.

Several concertgoers booed and shouted Tuesday night for Vedder to shut up as he told the crowd he was against the war and Bush. He impaled the mask during the encore of the band's opening show of a U.S. tour.

"It was like he decapitated someone in a primal ritual and stuck their head on a stick," fan Keith Zimmerman said.

Vedder used a Bush mask in Australia and Japan to perform the song "Bushleaguer," from the band's latest album, "Riot Act." The song's lyrics say, "He's not a leader, he's a Texas leaguer."

During the show, Vedder said: "Just to clarify... we support the troops."

"We're just confused on how wanting to bring them back safely all of a sudden becomes non-support," he said. "We love them. They're not the ones who make the foreign policy .... Let's hope for the best and speak our opinions."

Pearl Jam manager Kelly Curtis could not immediately be reached for comment Thursday.

The Dixie Chicks were the target of boycotts and bans after their lead singer made anti-Bush statements on a London stage last month.

22. DarthLucanas

DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2003
    I guess like other musicians and celebrities we are suppose to really give a crap what they and Ediie thinks. I don't need to be told what to think at a concert. I am suppose to be there to be entertained. I payed to hear music not someone's political viewpoint.Just play the damn music.Music? Thats also up for debate. If he really took the time to understand what has been going on in Iraq with Saddam ruling the country and commiting horrible atrocities on Iraqi people who don't exactly agree with Saddam's
    philosophy. Like the Kurdish people who Saddam has killed thousands of inside the country of Iraq. And how other sects of Iraqi people live in fear of their lives. I thought Ediie was for amnesty international. Oh I guess except the Iraqi people. I guess if it was Clinton, it would be different. What about the bombing on Baghdad that Clinton ordered in 1998 I did n't hear an uproar then from Eddie then. Gee I wonder why? And what about the U.S. being involved in Bosnia. I agree that we needed to get involved in Bosnia and Iraq in 1998. But because its George Bush, not who Ediie voted for thats why he is so opposed to the Iraqi people being given their freedom and right to live life without fear of oppression.
    I don't mind if someone has an opposing opinion but at least give an educated reason why it is wrong. Not because its cool to rebel against authority. Eddie clean out your bong water and try to educate yourself about the subject. And take the time to put something into some brain cells than destroying whatever you have left.
    I am not trying to offend anyone hear. But lets be honest facts are facts and we know exactly what Saddam has done. He must and will go. I would love to hear a good reason why Saddam should be left in power. I am willing to listen. Eddie the floor is yours, enlighten us all to your wisdom on the subject.
    So Eddie I would like you to shut up and play. Thats what people pay for. Don't treat your fans like idiots show them the respect they deserve for making you wealthy by paying you to entertain them. Everyone is entittled to their own opinion. Don't impose yours on your fans. You will probably be surprised how many agree with you and how many don't agree with you.

I think we can all agree we hope this is over soon. So our troops come home and Iraqi people can live in a free country. And Saddam can no longer be a threat to his people,neighboring countries,and the rest of the world.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Senate would be the place to discuss overtly political issues. Let's not let this thread get out of hand.

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I guess like other musicians and celebrities we are suppose to really give a crap what they and Ediie thinks. I don't need to be told what to think at a concert. I am suppose to be there to be entertained. I payed to hear music not someone's political viewpoint.Just play the damn music.

OK first off, as Ed said when someone at the show told him to shut up, there is such a thing in this country as free speech. You may not agree with what he says but you better agree with his right to say it.

Music? Thats also up for debate.

If this is a dog on Pearl Jam's music, why are you posting in this thread?

If he really took the time to understand what has been going on in Iraq with Saddam ruling the country and commiting horrible atrocities on Iraqi people who don't exactly agree with Saddam's
    philosophy. Like the Kurdish people who Saddam has killed thousands of inside the country of Iraq. And how other sects of Iraqi people live in fear of their lives. I thought Ediie was for amnesty international. Oh I guess except the Iraqi people.

Your assumptions about what Ed does and doesn't know are very offensive. Until you talk with him personally about this, try not to assume too much.

I guess if it was Clinton, it would be different. What about the bombing on Baghdad that Clinton ordered in 1998 I did n't hear an uproar then from Eddie then. Gee I wonder why? And what about the U.S. being involved in Bosnia. I agree that we needed to get involved in Bosnia and Iraq in 1998. But because its George Bush, not who Ediie voted for thats why he is so opposed to the Iraqi people being given their freedom and right to live life without fear of oppression.

Just for the record, Ed is not a Democrat nor did he vote for Gore. Or Clinton most likely. He was and still is a strong supporter of Nader. Again, try not to make assumptions just because he disagrees with you.

I don't mind if someone has an opposing opinion but at least give an educated reason why it is wrong.

You said you did not want him toi talk about it at all. Now you want a major discussion about it? Make up your mind.

Not because its cool to rebel against authority. Eddie clean out your bong water and try to educate yourself about the subject. And take the time to put something into some brain cells than destroying whatever you have left.

Man have some more assumptions about a person. Staggering. Now you know the reasons he says what he says. And you again insist you know what he does and does not know. After all, he MUST be ignorant if he disagrees with you. After all, the people who have educated themslves all agree with you.

I am not trying to offend anyone hear. But lets be honest facts are facts and we know exactly what Saddam has done. He must and will go. I would love to hear a good reason why Saddam should be left in power. I am willing to listen. Eddie the floor is yours, enlighten us all to your wisdom on the subject.

See above. Make up your mind. Do you want a dissertation on the subject or not?

So Eddie I would like you to shut up and play. Thats what people pay for. Don't treat your fans like idiots show them the respect they deserve for making you wealthy by paying you to entertain them. Everyone is entittled to their own opinion. Don't impose yours on your fans. You will probably be surprised how many agree with you and how many don't agree with you.

YOU would like him to shutup. Leave it at that. Do you pay money to see Pearl Jam play? Have you ever? Because I have. Five times. I can speak for what *I* pay to see. I pay to see some great music. I also pay to see five guys who are just themselves. Ed speaks his mind and has every time I've seen them in concert. Even if I don't agree with him, and I don't always, I agree with his right to speak his mind. I also know many Pearl Jam fans who DO agree with him.

So here's my question to you:

Are you someone who has put down your hard earned money in support of Pearl Jam's live

25. Valkor

Valkor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    I am all for Ed speaking his mind. He has that right just as people have the right to stay or walk out of the show. I admire Ed for at least sticking to his guns too, unlike Natalie from the Dixie Chicks, I guarantee Ed's not going to apologize for his comments. PJ do indeed support the troops, but not the policy behind them, like most of the world.

p e a c e