main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph All Five Horizons: A Pearl Jam discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Strilo , Dec 31, 2002.

1. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Me too [face_dancing] The art is slightly different in the store version and the art on the CD's themselves is completely different, so I bought two :p

"Severed Hand" is my favorite song right now. I think it might be there best track in 2 albums :D

And I'll be seeing them in Chicago on Tuesday [face_dancing] Can't wait!

2. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I used to be a huge PJ fan but lost interest in them after No Code. Ive heard great things about the new album, though, and may just pick it up at some point.

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Severed Hand and Inside Job are the two tracks REALLY jumping out at me now, but I think the whole album kicks ass. Not a weak song on it. I truly love this band.

4. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I'm hearing you on that one. The closest thing on that album to a bad song, to me, is Big Wave. It's still a great song, but it's not as good as the rest.

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    No way I LOVE Big Wave! At this point as I look at the track listing, I cannot name ONE song as weak.

6. MystikalMaceWindu

MystikalMaceWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2005
    the album's only OK at best...
    reminds me of the later albums of U2 or R.E.M. while the later albums may be solid, and show workmanlike effort, they're no match for thie earlier works. Both U2 and R.E.M. hit their peak back in the early 90s (1990 for U2, 1992 for R.E.M.) and it's been quickly downhill for both. Same for Pearl Jam. Their first three albums were good, but it's been lackluster, hit-and-miss ever since.
    And this new PJ album, while it's solid, it's nothing to write home about. It's not even worth buying IMO. Listening to it, it only made me think of how good they used to be.
    the artists that continuing growing and making good songs make you look forward, not backward....
    I understand the excitement by fans, but the album is still a far cry from the likes of their debut, VS. and Vitalogy. Like U2's last two albums, Pearl Jam sounds like a rehash of PJ's earlier style.

7. Boba_Phat

Boba_Phat Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2000
    I actually think they've done better work since their first three albums, but that's just my opinion.

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Pearl Jam made a conscious effort to shake loose some of the "buttrock" fans they seemed to attract with Ten, which was produced in a way the band has never liked. Nirvana had the same problem. Kurt once said that the audiences they were playing to were filled with the same jerks who used to beat him up in school. Pearl Jam may have felt the same way. Either way, they evolved their sound away from the original larger than life lots of reverb arena sound of Ten. Then with Vitalogy, it's almost as if they chose songs they knew many of these melodic buttrock fans would hate. This part is my own opinion. Then after that they were free to go whatever direction they chose, and they have.

I will always be happy with Pearl Jam's work as long as they are happy with it and they continue making music that is relevant and has something good to say.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Crap I killed the thread...

10. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Nah...the Usual Suspects are just taking a siesta... :D

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I just get so excited about new Pearl Jam... I wanna share it with everyone! LOL!

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Is the tour still on?

13. malcolm-darth-am-i

malcolm-darth-am-i Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2005
    Hey I noticed yesterday on SNL that next week Perl Jam is the musical Guest. For those who can see it I give you a warning.

Perl Jam SNL Saturday.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    A warning? Like to watch it or not to watch it?

Info on the tour can be found here. They played DC last night and they have today off. Tomorrow they play another show in Jersey.

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I read somewhere that this band was on its fifth drummer, but that its lineup was otherwise stable. (!)

16. Boba_Phat

Boba_Phat Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2000
    That's true, but the present drummer has been with them for about eight years.

17. DarkSavior

DarkSavior Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2006
    I wouldn't consider myself a huge pearljam fan. I do know that they sing probably my favorite song ever. "Last Kiss" and it can't be just any version. It has to be the live version. I find the one that they did in the studio just doesn't have the best feel to it.

I listened to some of pearl Jam live and I find that is where they belong. I think that whatever you pay to see pearl Jam live you are getting your money's worth because they are such a good live band that it is hard to compare to them.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Ahem.

Pearl Jam's first drummer is a man by the name of Dave Krusen. He plays on the first album Ten. Just before that album came out, he left the band for personal reasons. The band was about to depart on tour and needed someone quick, so Matt Chamberlin filled in for them on one leg of the tour. He can be seen in the "Alive" video, I believe. Pearl Jam however needed a permanent replacement so Chamberlin recommended Dave Abbruzzesse, the third drummer for the band. He played with the band for the remainder of the tours in 1992 and on the 1993 album Vs. and the 1994 album Vitalogy. Just before Vitalogy came out, he was fired from the band basically because he didn't get along with Eddie Vedder. Former Red Hot Chili Peppers' drummer Jack Irons was brought in as the fourth drummer. He played on the fourth and fifth albums No Code and Yield. Just before the 1998 tour for Yield, Irons left the band and once again a replacement was needed on short notice. By coincidence, Soundgarden had just broken up shortly before that and so Matt Cameron was free to tour with Pearl Jam in 1998. Though it was uncertain for a time if Cameron would stay or if he was just filling in, he's been Pearl Jam's drummer ever since. He is now on the fourth major world tour with Pearl Jam and is the ONLY drummer in the history of the band to play on three albums. He also writes a ton more than any other drummer ever did for the band.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  19. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    I disagree, MysticalMace. The new album is far more consistently better than either vs. OR vitalogy. Personally, I like it better right now than 10 (just for now!). My favorite PJ album is Yield, and this one is #2. I didn't care much for the last two PJ albums though.

Even songs like GONE, seem like they are going nowhere but then just take off.

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Gone is a great song. I picked up the bootleg for the second Chicago show on this 2006 tour. I am about 2/3rds of the way through and it is ****ing amazing. Really great show. Check out this setlist:

Set 1 - Severed Hand, World Wide Suicide, Life Wasted, Animal, Marker In The Sand, Do The Evolution, Whipping, 1/2 Full, I Am Mine, Even Flow, Gone, Insignificance, Better Man, Save it for Later, Down, Garden, Inside Job, Lukin, Go

Encore 1 - Wasted Reprise, Man Of The Hour, Footsteps, Once, Alive

Encore 2 - Last Kiss, Last Exit, Glorified G, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Crown Of Thorns, Rockin' In The Free World, Yellow Ledbetter

21. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    I have that boot too, but I haven't listened to it yet. Just looking at the setlist makes me kick myself for not staying in Chicago for night 2 :( Oh well, Chicago 1 was still pretty great, and I've got both St. Paul shows to look forward to [face_hypnotized]

Stilo, you should pick up the Grand Rapids bootleg. It's really great [face_dancing]

05/19/06 - Van Andel Arena, Grand Rapids, MI, USA

set: Elderly Woman..., Given To Fly, World Wide Suicide, Life Wasted, Severed Hand, Sad, Marker in the Sand, Red Mosquito, Even Flow, Love Boat Captain, Corduroy, Daughter/(Blitzkrieg Bop)/(I Believe In Miracles), Army Reserve, Green Disease, Why Go, Inside Job, Rearviewmirror
    first encore: Sleight of Hand, Off He Goes, Around the Bend, Parting Ways, Hard To Imagine, Crazy Mary, Alive
    second encore: Do The Evolution, Comatose, Satan's Bed, Leatherman, Blood, Baba O'Riley, Yellow Ledbetter

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    What an odd set list. They opened with Small Town and then played Given to Fly? Bizarre. Small Town is the one Pearl Jam song I ... well I like it but I am just sick to death of it for some reason. I skip it on every bootleg I have.

23. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    I agree it's a strange and slow start, but look at the encores! [face_hypnotized]

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I find it also cool that this tour they seem to be playing Why Go a lot. I'd never heard it live before until that Chicago boot.

25. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    They've got a reworked version of Garden they're playing too, which is pretty nice. Ed is playing guitar on the first verse of Porch, which is quite a bit slower before the song kicks into normal speed.

I'm glad about Why Go too, it's been a long time since that's been played regularly. I think I'd prefer they didn't play 6 or 7 songs off Ten every night though. 2 or 3 is enough :p