Amph All Five Horizons: A Pearl Jam discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Strilo, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Yeah I saw Garden in Tampa in 2000. It was awesome. I also like the version on the Chicago boot, it's similar. I haven't heard the current Porch though. I am considering the East Rutherford II bootleg as well. It has Porch. I don't mind that many songs from Ten. Why do you?
  2. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    I guess I've just heard those songs a lot after listening to hundreds of bootlegs over the years. I'd rather they played 6 or 7 from No Code or Binaural if they were going to :p Those don't get played much. It's actually a fairly new thing, playing so many off Ten this tour, while stuff from the previous 4 albums aren't being played much at all. Just a preference, I guess.

And lucky you! I have the Tampa boot, great show [face_hypnotized]
  3. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Yeah it was a brilliant show. Portland 2000 was also a hot-as-fire night. Mike and Matt were insane that night. I can understand not needing all the Ten songs. If I saw a Pearl Jam show and they did not play Evenflow, Alive, Black or Jeremy, I would not be upset. But stuff like Why Go? WOW! Also, Once never ceases to be amazing live and Black to this day can be really incredible if played well (see Portland 2000). Many of the 2000 boots feature 6-7 Binaural songs though... only makes sense as that was the tour for that album.
  4. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I'd like to try and stir up some discussion on Pearl Jam by rotating through some topics and seeing where it takes us. I thought starting off with album discussion was a logical place to start and as Pearl Jam aka "Avocado" is brand new, it seems like discussion should begin there.

So what are your thoughts, loves, likes, dislikes, hates and otherwise reactions to the new album Pearl Jam? Some are hailing it as a comeback, others saying it's just more retread. Some fans are saying it harkens back to Vs. in its anger and somewhat more raw sound. I've read comments that it has the worst cover and artwork of any Pearl Jam album ever. The band has always had creative, interesting and even innovative packaging and the fans have come to expect this. Is the avocado cover possibly a response to this pressure? Is it a joke? Is it merely simplicity?
  5. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    Firstly, covers don't mean that much to me. Although I have always liked that rabid sheep on the cover of Vs:D .

After Vitalogy, I hadn't picked up any Pearl Jam albums until Riot Act. The dissapoint from that turned off from getting Binaural, Yield and Lost Dogs. However after hearing World Wide Suicide on the radio I decided to get back into Pearl Jam.

From the moment I turned it on I felt that there was something fresh from this album, something that was missing from Riot Act. It sounds as if the band are playing as one and Eddie is having fun with the lyrics. No song seems to be out of place and the album flows. In this album it feels that some of the best parts of Vitalogy and Vs are incorporated, but it still stays a new listening experience.

4.5/5
  6. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    There is certainly a different energy to this new album. While I love every Pearl Jam album for different reasons, I love them all equally. I cannot pick one above another as better. However, I see an energy on this new album that will connect and has connected with the more casual fan. That is always a plus for us die-hard fans. I do strongly suggest taking a listen to Yield, as I feel it also has a nice cohesive sound and an energy that attracts people. It's easily the most radio friendly rock album they've done.

And I love the cover for Vs. It's probably one of my favorite Pearl Jam covers.
  7. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    So let's move on (back) to the 2002 album Riot Act. This album was produced by Adam Kaspar and mixed by long time band collaborator Brendan O'Brien. Its first single "I Am Mine" seemed to me to be a moderately successful single, fans of rock seemed to notice it. It is a gold record, selling 500,000 copies in the U.S. The album was the first to feature Ed's friend Boom Gaspar on keyboards and also features three songs written by former Soundgarden drummer Matt Cameron. Riot Act also features another first, "Love Boat Captain" is the first Pearl Jam song to be co-written with someone outside the band. Vedder wrote it with Boom Gaspar.

Thoughts? Reflections on Riot Act?
  8. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    Riot Act sounded bland, as if they were just going through the motions. It's still a decent album, but nothing that built upon what had gone before. I am Mine, Love Boat Captain and Save You, the major releases didn't hit me like others had. The rest sounded like something that had been rejected from Lost Dogs (which I rented from the Library last week). IMO their least successful album in terms of quality.
  9. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I think that Riot Act builds on Yield. It certainly goes a different direction than the dark and moody Binaural. I also think Riot Act builds on No Code with its more experimental tracks like "You Are" or "Bushleaguer". It is however much more a collection of songs and much less of an album with a cohesive theme or vibe or feel.
  10. whiskers Jedi Master

star 4
    I personally feel that Riot Act is one of Pearl Jam's more underrated albums. You had a good opener of Can't Keep followed by a great rocker in Save You. Love Boat Captain is an excellent song that makes a great show opener. There are other great songs on the album such as Green Disease and Thumbing My Way, but I don't have the time to do a full analysis. Needless to say that it all ends extremely well with All Or None, a song which has been criminally underused in their concerts (although since I was at the last concert in which it was played, I have mixed feelings on the subject.)

So, anyone else enjoy Storytellers?
  11. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I didn't see it, as I am in Germany. Was it good?

I personally see "All or None" as Stone's answer to "Indifference" off of Vs. Stone wrote "All or None" and I feel some of the same self-reflecting criticism tones that were in "Indifference." Anyone's thoughts? Oh and yeah... "Save You" ROCKS in concert. I have to disagree on "Love Boat Captain" as a show opener. I think it works better after the initial burst of 5-8 rocking songs. If they are going to use a slower song at the beginning, it should be "Long Road" or "Release" or "Sometimes."
  12. whiskers Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't know about All or None being an answer to Indifference, but your theory does seem to make sense. Storytellers was great, although it seemed to go by way too fast and the editing in of parts of the actual Storytelling portion of the show into the songs got annoying fast.

I've seen both Release and Love Boat Captain open up the two concerts (:( ) that I've been to, and I do have to agree with Release being a better opener.
  13. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    I got back from the St. Paul shows on Wednesday and Pearl Jam totally rocked [face_dancing] The shorter sets were the only drawback, but the band definitely knows how to pack a punch into 90 minutes. When they played "Not For You" I think I almost pissed my pants :cool:

Anyway, great sets and Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers were quite good as well. Eddie came out and sang "American Girl" with them both night, and "The Waiting" the second night? unfortunately his mic wasn't working though and no one in the band seemed to notice :(

Oh, we're on the same page then! Yes, I love hearing the rarer stuff from Ten (I'd kill to hear Oceans or Deep!).

I'd love to hear 6 or 7 off Binaural though :p

I feel like I'm still digesting the Avocado (hehe) after 2 months. I'm not sure where it stacks up against the band's other work, but I do agree with the sentiment that it feels like a step backwards in a lot of ways. Where past albums have all seemed to press on in new directions, with lots of experimenting, this one definitely does feel like Vs. again. I know a lot of people haven't enjoyed No Code- Riot Act, but in my opinion, it's some of Pearl Jam's best work, and I've admired the way they've taken chances and actually went out of their way to make songs that were less catchy as a way of challenging listeners (and apparently keeping the spotlight off themselves).

While I enjoyed Avocado from the first listen, I'm not sure how many of the songs are more than "really good." I think "Severed Hand" and "Life Wasted" are two of Pearl Jam's best ever, but after that it seems like everything else is tied for 3rd.

But I'm liking it more everyday, so I expect that will change in time. I love the fact that Eddie has gotten back to storytelling again. "Unemployable" is brilliant in its brevity, and the story in "Army Reserve" and "Come Back" nearly puts me in tears when I listen to it.

And for the record, I love "Big Wave" :D

As far as the artwork goes, I was shocked when I first got my copy and opened it up. I happen to really like the Avocado on the front cover. It's really simple but beautiful. The blue background works well. And once you get past the shock of the severed heads, you can see the artistic value in it. It all makes a lot more sense after the "Life Wasted" video though, which I love. The projection techniques are absolutely brilliant.

All and all, I'm very pleased with the new album but would have also liked to see the band continuing with more experimentation. In case anyone's wondering where I'm coming from, I happen to thi
  14. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    "I feel like we've been handing in our work on time, and we've been getting A's and B's, but we haven't really raised our hand and spoken out in class," says Vedder. "This record is us speaking out in class."

That's an interesting way to phrase it. I like it. I had not yet read that article. Wow very surprising and powerful. I tend to not give a **** about the band's personal lives so I had no idea some of the things Ed talks about. There are many little facts and nuggets of history that I never knew. I too only knew the hallucinigenic story for the origins of the band's name. It kind of reminds me of the Beatles and the Flaming Pie thing. That type of mystery, strangeness and rumor surrounding a band is part of rock I think.
  15. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    Yes, I'm almost a little disappointed now knowing. I was sort of hoping the band would never tell. At least it dispells the "euphemism for semen" rumors :p
  16. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    :rolleyes: I never heard that one.
  17. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Okay moving on (back)! Let's open up discussions of the band's darker and denser 2000 album Binaural. This was their first album away from producer Brendan O'Brien since their debut album. Produced by Tschad Blake, the album has a duality to it in that the faster songs were mixed by O'Brien and the slower songs by Blake. Overall I think this works for the idea of the album, two ears, two rings on the cover, two different vibes to the songs. Binaural contains some of the band's staple live songs, "Insignificance," "Grievance," "Light Years" and "Nothing As It Seems." Much more than Riot Act I think this album has a unified "album" feel to it, in the words, the music and the sound. The darkness and denseness seems in retrospect to be a indication of how the band felt at the time and how they would feel in the wake of the tragedy that almost crushed the band entirely: the Roskilde Festival in Denmark, where nine fans were killed on June 30, 2000. The band carried on and the intense emotions they felt seemed to fuel the intensity and the darker edge to Binaural and its tour.
  18. Zaz Jedi Knight

star 9
    If you are not familiar with the band (guilty), would this be a good place to start?
  19. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Off hand I would say no. What types of music are you generally into? Like what do you lean towards?
  20. whiskers Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, Binaural's not a good place for a beginner to start. I would suggest starting off with Ten and Vs. then work your way up to the other albums.

I love Binaural, and I really feel that it has gotten a kind of bad rap when it comes to Pearl Jam albums. Breakerfall is a great opener and Nothing As It Seems was the song that really got me into the band after having only heard a few of their early songs on MTV and VH1 specials.

I agree with the album being darker compared to the others, especially with Rival, Sleight of Hand and Parting Ways (which is one of my favorite Pearl Jam songs, and one I'm attempting to learn how to play) on it.

It's kind of sad but you can obviously hear the difference between the shows that were pre-Roskilde and post-Roskilde on the tour. It's kind of hard to explain, but after listening to the second night at Kadowice Poland and then listening to Las Vegas or Seattle 2 it seems nearly obvious.
  21. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Well, Katowice II was a bit of an exception. The date was added late after the first show sold out, so the crowd filled only about 1/3 of the venue. Because of this and who knows what other factors, the band was feeling mellow and laid back. They opened with like 6 slow songs before going into Breakerfall (I think) which is something they almost never do. But in general, having all the Euro boots from 2000 either on CD or mp3 and having like 15 of the North American boots (after Roskilde) I think you can hear a change in the intensity of the band. Also they sound a bit more raw and, naturally by the end, very tired. But I think the tour was something they needed to do and they got through it as best they could. The ending of that tour is just amazing though. Portland, Boise and the two Seattle shows were all just incredible live shows.

As for Zaz's question, I say it depends on what kind of music he leans towards. If he likes more mainstream radio-friendly stuff, then Ten or Yield for sure. If he likes more angry stuff then Vs. or Vitalogy (especially if he likes punkish music). But if he likes more off-kilter experimental stuff then No Code or Binaural. I would also like to say, Zaz that Pearl Jam does have a "best of" compilation called Rearviewmirror. That might also be a good place to start.
  22. Zaz Jedi Knight

star 9
    I like the sound of RearViewMirror, actually.
  23. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Yes and it was put together by the band themselves as a "Best Of" collection and I think it really captures a great cross section of the band and their catalogue.

And on topic for the current discussion... Binaural. For me there are three standout songs on this album that have taken their place in my pantheon of legendary Pearl Jam songs. "Nothing As It Seems" for its surreal lyric, for the eerie sound and for the insanely good guitar work from Mike McCready. "Light Years" for its poignant and powerful lyric about loss (see the subsequent Roskilde incident) and for the simple and elegant arrangement by all members of the band. "Insignificance" for its rocking power, its important and socially relevant lyric and for the fact that the lead singer plays the guitar solo. This band. They just rule my world.
  24. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Okay, imagine a total Pearl Jam n00b. Now imagine that all that this n00b has heard is "World Wide Suicide" and "Inside Job", but he really, really likes both of them.

Now imagien that that n00b needs some Pearl Jam recommendations, but doesn't want to go out and buy their entire back-catalogue just yet.

What do you recommend?

(PS - the n00b is me. [face_blush]
    Bib Fartuna likes this.
  25. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    LOL! Dan! Both Amph mods have posted the same thing, though admittedly your post was funnier... ;)

I suggest Rearviewmirror. It is their two disc "Best of" compilation that I think actually does a nice job of cross-sectioning their work. It contains both the "hits" and the "best songs" from their first seven albums. It is a good place to start, a nice sampling of Pearl Jam's work up until 2004.