main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph All Five Horizons: A Pearl Jam discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Strilo , Dec 31, 2002.

1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I am not sure the reasons are technical at all. For me they are more that he is more versatile, more varied and capable of fitting all of the different styles of the band than Abbrussezze was. Dave A was more about speed and off beat accents and power. He is an incredible drummer and Vs. would not be the same without him. I just feel that for other songs like "Wishlist" or "Light Years" that Matt fits the vibe better. Also Matt's drummer live is far superior to Dave A. Dave A played things pretty much the same each time. Matt Cameron mixes it up, rarely plays anything the same way twice and almost always it is brilliant. He is the drumming equivalent of Mike McCready, the guitar player who rarely plays any solo the same way twice.

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Translation = he has more elan. :D

3. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    WTH = elan?

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The French meaning.

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    And what is the French meaning of elan?

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Style, panache...

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Not really. Dave A had a lot of style. It's just that I think Matt Cameron fits the band in a personal and emotional style musically. And anyway who does a translation = and then uses an obscure word from another language? :p

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Not at all obscure, really. :p

I think you mean soul.

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    But see that's just it. I don't mean soul. Dave A has loads of style and soul. He is a brilliant drummer. And his work within Pearl Jam, especially on Vs. and the Vs. era B-Sides speaks for itself. I just think Matt Cameron is a better fit for the band.

10. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Would you say it's more of a personality issue?

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Quite definately but that's sort of a side issue to what I am saying above. Really there are two main reasons I think Matt is the best Pearl Jam drummer:

1. He has a more diverse range of styles than any other previous drummer, this fits Pearl Jam's ever increasing eclectic sound.
    2. His personality and his style as a person and a member of the band fits better, certainly than high fiving frat boy Dave A.

12. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    I also think one of the great things about having Matt in the band is the song writing angle. Since he's joined the band, he's written the music to Evacuation, Cropduster, and Unemployable, and the music and lyrics to "You Are." I really like all those songs, so it's just a major plus.

I've also been impressed with his backup vocals on this tour.

As for "Vs.", it's obviously a great album. What strikes you write away is how the band cut out all the fat from songs since their debut. The songs aren't amthems, many of them coming in under the 3 minute mark.

"Go" still might be my favorite album opener. It's just got such a great energy, and that solo at the end sounds like a supersonic jet nose diving into the dirt to me. It's amazingly fast.

I really love "Animal," "Daughter," "Blood" (man I love the vocals on this song. The first time I heard Ed yell the "bloooooooood" that leads into the bridge, I didn't think that could possibly be someone's real voice), and "Rearviewmirror." And sorry, Stilo, I love "Small Town" :p I will say that "Leash" is one of my least favorite PJ songs though. It just strikes me a little too much of a teenager writing his first rebellious song or something 8-}

Everything else is really great though.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  13. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I remember ROlling Stone's review of the album saying Dissident (a song I like alot, and that a friend of mine absolutely loves) sounds like a left-over from Ten. I to this day have no idea what they mean by that, I find it sounds quite different than anything on Ten. The beginning of the end of any repsect I had for RS's reviewers.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    1991. George Bush was President of the United States. Vanilla Ice was topping the charts. Terminator 2: Judgement Day was the biggest film. The Soviet Union was breaking apart. The 80s were finally coming to an end, socially, politically and culturally. It was a time of searching, questing for the path the future would take. A wave of change was building towards that which would become the new decade, the last decade of the 20th Century, the 90s. A new generation was getting ready to emerge from childhood into adulthood.

It was the beginning of a time of great change. World maps would be redrawn in major ways. America would emerge from the long recession it had seen for most of the 80s. The face of music was about to be forever altered. By time the year 2000 came, nothing would remain untouched by the change the 90s would wrought. It was in the midst of all this that one of the most influential albums of the 90s was released.

The day was August 27, 1991. The album was Ten. The band was Pearl Jam. Possibly the most anticipated new band in the Seattle Washington music scene, Pearl Jam rose like a phoenix from the ashes of Mother Love Bone. Following Mother Love Bone lead singer Andrew Wood's untimely death, bassist Jeff Ament and guitarist Stone Gossard joined forces with Andrew Wood's roommate Soundgarden lead singer Chris Cornell and drummer Matt Cameron, also picking up guitarist Mike McCready, to record 1990's Temple of the Dog as a tribute to the late Andrew Wood.

As the Temple of the Dog project coalesced, something else was happening with the people involved. Mike, Stone and Jeff, along with singer Eddie Vedder and drummer Dave Krusen formed Mookie Blaylock and played their first live gig on October 22, 1990, less than 2 months before the Temple of the Dog album was released. Songs emerged from jams based on music by Stone Gossard and before long, the fledgling band had more than enough material for an album. A few gigs and a name change later, Pearl Jam emerged from the studio with Ten.

Thus begins a review of [i]Ten[/i] written by me in 2000. Without saying much more, let's open discussion of Pearl Jam's most commercially important album to date.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  15. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I obtained Ten just on Sunday, as my first PJ album. I'm really, really enjoying it. I especially love "Jeremy"; the huge open chord progression in the chorus is to die for, regardless of any genre of music. But yeah, still a total newbie to PJ, so I'll be interested to hear what you pro's think. :p

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I am really curious what yankee and YodaKenobi have to say... :)

17. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The first half rates up their with any album in history. All the songs are powerful, intriguing and gel well. However, I;m not terribly fussed about anything past Jeremy. It just doesn't grab me like the rest of the album.

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm far from a PJ expert. I've heard Ten and Vitalogy, liked one, not the other.

Ten, if you wonder, is the one I liked. It just excels, really. Jeremy is probably my favorite song, but it's a solid album on the whole. I like, the one that I call Shadow Flag, but isn't really called that ( :p ) really well too.

I loved his use of profanity . . . he just absolutely spits the f-word, but he doesn't overuse it, so it packs a punch, particularly in the one about the institution.

19. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Like most people, Ten was the first PJ album I ever heard and set me on the path to becoming a lifelong fan. It is probably the greatest debut album of any band ever. The dual guitar sound, the vocals, the energy, the anthems? it was all amazing.

Someone brought up how there was a different feel to the first and second half of Ten, and I sort of agree (Maybe it was meant to be released on double vinyl :p ), but I really love the whole thing. The first half is all the big soaring anthems. I've grown sort of tired of the hits, but still, "Alive" is such a great song and definitely has one of my favorite guitar solos at the end. I think the 2006 tour has really breathed some new life into it for me.

But it goes without saying that "Alive," "Even Flow," "Jeremy" and "Black" are all terrific, and have been rock radio staples since their release for that reason. But the other tracks are just as impressive. I love "Why Go," and "Oceans"? who doesn't feel it when Ed is bellowing at the end of "Porch"? Or get a little teary eyed during "Release"? (One of the best songs vocally. It hits you right in the chest on that last chorus!).

Subject matter for the album is all over the place: Murder, poverty, incest, maddness, suicide, rape, death? Okay, maybe it's not a "feel-good" album :p But it really is in some ways. I always feel good when I listen to "Alive." I never would have guessed there was anything incestuous about it if I hadn't heard it from its author years ago? I had a completely different interpretation of what the song meant when I first heard it. I guess that's one of the great things about music.

Anyway, Ten's reputation is well deserved. It was so great the band will probably always be remembered for it more than anything else, and even if it's not my favorite, it certainly isn't a bad thing to be remembered for. There is a sense now that it was a little "over produced", especially for PJ's standards, but not nearly as much as a lot of bands. I might be one of the few people who prefers the version of Even Flow on Ten to the single version :p

That would be "Garden." Great song :D

Yeah, that is great. I really love the mumble in bridge of "Once": "You think I've got my eyes close, but I've been looking at you the whole ****in' time." :cool:

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I find the entire emotional journey of the first six songs is nothing without the moment of quiet introspection and questioning pain of "Oceans." After "Oceans," Ten concentrates on more world-wide themes in "Garden" and "Deep," then swings back intensely personal with the LEGENDARY song "Release." A song with such powerful and personal lyrics that Eddie Vedder did not allow them to be published for a long time. "Due to contractual obligations, the lyrics to 'Release' cannot be published." That was what was in the Ten guitar tablature book. The liner notes have nothing. Only on the official site, and that within the past few years, have the lyrics officially surfaced. I cannot imagine the first half of Ten without the second half. To me it would be like stopping Sgt. Pepper after "Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite."

21. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I have to say it... Oceans, Garden, and Porch are the best block of three songs that I've heard on an album.

Ten was--like many other Pearl Jam fans--my first album by the band that would quickly become my favorite. There's not that many songs on that album that I can say that I skip constantly while listening to it, though "Deep" doesn't really click with me.

All I can say about "Release" is this: a rolling thunderstorm is over the concert arena, delaying Pearl Jam's set by about 30 minutes. "Release" is the first song played, and the second that Ed first sings "Oh dear dad, can you see us now?" a massive lightning bolt arcs across the sky.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  22. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    6/12/03 Kansas City?

I should have went to that show. It would have been worth getting soaked.

The next night was better though [face_mischief] Only 7,000 people, Ed came out by himself and sang "Arc" [face_hypnotized]

whiskers likes this.
  23. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Yup. First Pearl Jam show I ever went to. And it was worth getting soaked, although I did have the foresight to bring a heavy-duty raincoat with me!

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Sounds like a great show. I just saw Pearl Jam actually. I went to the show in Bern, Switzerland on Sept 13th. It was a great concert. High energy set, fast and quick show. I was closer than I've ever been before. First time I've seen the band since 2002. I cannot complain though as it was the sixth time I've seen them. :)

25. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    ^ Lucky guy, you got "Satan's Bed" *jealous*

My first PJ show was the 6/13/03 Council Bluffs show, which is still my favorite of the 4 PJ concerts I've been to [face_love]