main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index All Helmet, No Head - The Mandalorian Discussion Group and Index---New stories, new discussion--9/2!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Corran_Fett, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. browwiw

browwiw Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2007
    I'm not upset in the least bit. That was just me being playfully sardonic. I obviously wouldn't pull stakes for a BSG fansite. I mean...really.

2. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Hey Brodiew, trust me when I say this, as a Mando newbie (myself included), this is the thread to be. I'm in here all the time, even if I don't post often. ;)

I've gotta' go with the opinion that I appreciate Traviss' vision of Mandalorian society, as opposed to that of the KotOR. But unlike browwiw, I've never played the game and I'm basing my opinons on that of the KotOR comics version of Mandalorians. I mentally trick myself that it was just a phase of growing pains that Mandalorians were going through.

But come on, what's wrong with BSG?!?!? :p

3. browwiw

browwiw Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2007
    Nothing in the least bit. I just like being ambiguous. (I really enjoy BSG, but never was able to keep up with it because of my wonky world schedule).

And to be a bit more on topic. I really enjoyed the Dxun Mando camp parts of KotOR 2, but I still prefer Karen's "fiercely independent yet community oriented militant mountain men". The Dxun Mandos are a culture in decline. They've lost a war, their people scattered to the wind, and yet they prefer to play drum circle in the woods with Canderous. They're not moving on and getting on with things, they're avoiding reality and reliving past glories. It all seems so very self-absorbed. Surely Mandalore could use the resources and manpower they're hording out in the woods.

4. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Honest? I mean, as far as fansites go, I'd have figured they'd be your natural habitat.:p

5. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm going to try and write a Mando fic. I may use one of the challenges, but if anyone has a relatively simple idea, I'm open for suggestions on how to proceed.

6. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Sounds great! :D If you already have a plot idea, that's great, and I'd love to get another entry for the challenges, but if you're still looking for inspiration, tell us where you're at and we'll try to give you the best help we vode can give. [:D]

I'll be glad to get some new life into this thread, so if anyone has discussion topic suggestions or challenge ideas, just post them in the thread or PM me. :)

7. VIII

VIII Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 16, 2005
    Well if another topic is needed one could always take the "Whos your favorite Mando?" route, preferably with a explanation on why..

8. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    What about Mando School for Newbies?

1. required reading: wookipedia, not necessailry novels

2. history and cultural discussion

3. written composition (i.e. challenge)

no tests.

9. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    [face_thinking] To be honest, questions like these are kinda... newbish for me, but if it gets newcomers to the Index, why not? :p

Another interesting one. We would need real newbies for that though, people who are still unfamiliar with Mandos, and as of now, nearly everyone in this thread has already written Mandos. But once again, maybe this could get us some newcomers. If you have any specific ideas, please PM them to me, and I'll see if we can get a new topic running. :D

10. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Do we need to recruit or put out a call for newbies here in the thread?

11. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Nah, unless you know some authors personally that might be interested, I don't think recruiting is liked to be seen around here. Either someone's interested in Mandos and joins the thread, or he's not and never pays it a look. That doesn't mean we can't give it a try, but I need some specifics. ;)

12. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
  13. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Maybe dropping some links when reviewing the Mando stories of Newbies.[face_whistling]

I seen two around, but one is on restricted time, so he won't come here, I guess.:(

I'd like the school. I have no clue about Mandos, all I can do is cobble up poetry in Mando and write them vaguely enough so nobody notices. I'll be in bad trouble soon. (Why was I about to write 'Tribble' there?:oops: )

14. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    corellian_ale also admitted up thread to being a Mando newbie. Hey, that makes a class of three: Ale, Lanna, and Brodie!

15. Injunfett

Injunfett Jedi Youngling

Nov 27, 2007
    Hey I Wrote a Fan fic the other day feel free to check it out and tell me what you think.

http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/27790083/p1/?2

16. correllian_ale

Jun 20, 2005
    Welcome! :D

Injunfett is new here to Fanfic and is trying his hand at writing a Mando fic. I thought it might be a good idea for him (her?) to meet the unofficial Mandalore of the boards. ;)

17. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Su'cuy Injunfett.
    Good to see another Mando fan around.:)
    Join our happy discussion, being knowledgeable about the topic is not obligatory.
    (Otherwise, I'd be out...;) )

And who is the unofficial Mandalore, ale?
    Or did you mean Mando'ade?
    All this termionology will drive me crazy one day.8-}

18. VIII

VIII Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 16, 2005
    I belive he meen Corran_Fett, who once proclaimed himself Fandalore of the Fandalorian..

19. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    *proclaims herself Lannalor of the - oh wait. I think I have no fandom yet. *bugger*

20. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Lanna of the Landolorians? Since when is Lando a Mando! :p

21. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Lannalorains, brodiew. WOuldn't want Lando on my team, he's not my type. Too flashy.:p

But since we're at it already (and I'll need it sooner or later) how do you become Mandalor? Election? Protectorate? Council of the Elders? Or can you really just proclaim yourself and hope nobody disagrees?

22. correllian_ale

Jun 20, 2005
    I asked that very question in the infancy of the thread Lanna of the Landolorians.

I think we all agreed at that point to not truly know how one became Mandalore. Boba seemed to have been convinced to take the mantle while there was another during the Imperial Era (the name escapes me)who seemed to have just assumed it by himself.

So unless someone has new info, it seems whomever the community will accept in that position. And I see Mandalore not so much as an official position as it's more of a personal stance by a mandalorian. The individual is pretty much dedicating themselves to the well-being of their people, and there's no real pomp or circumstance that surrounds it. Although Bloodlines seemed to indicate different.

23. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Meh, that's lame.
    is ther Fanon for the process?
    just assuming is so - really ***ing inconvenient for the fic I want to do. I need it to be more like a quest.

And I can see the ceremony for becoming Mandalor.

mando1 (slapping Mando2 on the back): Congrats, you're Mandalor now.
    Mando2: Friggening well true.
    </scene end>

And I repeat: Lannalorians. We don't take the flashy types, only the effective ones.:p

24. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    Sorry about the late reply...but better late than never, so they say. :oops:
    The story is here, so you don't have to hunt through the thread to find it. And no, I wouldn't mind.

25. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Woah, it's been some time. Sorry everyone, I was busy with RL and totally forgot about this thread. If there's anything you need me to do, please PM me! :)

3 New stories

New Discussion topic
    Mando'ade are getting big roles, once again. In hope not to spoil anything, the KotOR comics feature Cassus Fett and Demagol, a mad Mando scientists, a dubious appearance of a Jedi with possible Mando history in The Force Unleashed, a possible return of a certain ex-Mando in Legacy, the events in LotF, with the upcoming Revelation hopefully finally showcasing us the Mando role in that series, then of course RC: Order 66, and last, but not least, Fenn Shysa and his Protectors in the (once again delayed) Shadows of Mindor. (hope I didn't forget something) That's as far as official appearances of Mandos currently and in the near future go.
    Where would you like to see more or less Mandos, in what era and medium? What is your opinion on these developments? Would you rather have one "franchise" focus, really focus, on Mandos, instead of sporadic appearances here and there? Let's hear everyone's thoughts! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.