main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index All Helmet, No Head - The Mandalorian Discussion Group and Index---New stories, new discussion--9/2!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Corran_Fett, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    It doesn't seem at all incongruous, if that's what you mean. It's more visual description, essentially, than an objective observation of character.

2. Roain_Xantos

Roain_Xantos Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    I personally see it as slanted, but then again, I'm affected by my own bias, so I'm not sure how reliable I'd be. I just don't like that he's called "evil." Something about that bugs me. I'm not going to get into the thinking behind that because I'd get lost. lol

~*Roain <><

3. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    That description is definetly NOT objective. Fett is not evil...hunting sentient creatures and taking them back to whatever grim fate awaits them is just business for him, it's not personal.

PS: MY OC for the challenge is a teenage mando girl with lovely hair :p [face_laugh]

4. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005

So has the EU completely gone astray and misportrayed Boba? Or can the savage killer and laconic businessman personas be reconciled?

5. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    I like how you assume that there's some inherent contradiction.:p

6. Roain_Xantos

Jan 21, 2005
    Like I said, let me know. ;)

~*Roain <><

7. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    The way I see it, up until lately; the EU's vision of "facts" has been like the Jedi Archives, incomplete.

I think the way Boba was depicted in the Bounty Hunter Wars is very coherant to the version Traviss has been featuring lately...sans the personal glimpses. Up until RotS, much of the GFFA EU has been hearing half the story, plus I give the benefit of the doubt that history is skewed by those who write it.

Boba hasn't changed to much for me, we just get to see into his head more. Well, that and he now acknowledges Mandalorians. :p

8. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Alright, everyone... the or'dinii that is I just noticed that I set the deadline to a date that is during my holiday, so I wouldn't be here for everyone. Which is why I move it to -----> April 23rd <-----

A month to go, then, but I hope the first entries show up already in within the next two weeks. I had a plotbunny for a viggie a week ago myself, and one that I can work into one of the Topics for the Challenge. And people, don't make me the first to submit an entry... please.... [face_beatup] :oops:

9. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    Hey everyone, this is my first time posting in this thread, I think. I am planning out a Mando fic, and it is probably going to be come on of epic proportion, if not novella. My issue is I'm not a big Mando expert. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to listen to my ideas, let me bounce a few off the wall, and give me some feedback. I have read up on them from Wookiepidia, but that really doesn't tell me everything I need to know. So if anyone is willing then just let me know.

10. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Check the first post, there is a long list for good References on Mandos. And you're free to PM me with your ideas. ;)

Welcome to the drill, burc'ya! Oya! :D

11. browwiw

browwiw Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2007
    Or just post your ideas here. We need to get the conversation going again.

12. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Good thought, aye.

We could get the conversation rolling again, though, with some entries for the challenge coming in.... [face_whistling]

13. CodyMonKenobi

Jan 29, 2001
    Well I am still trying to work out some kinks. I know I want it to start outthe kid is probably about thirteen or fourteen. His Dad is a Bounty Hunter, his mom is pretty much a home maker, and they live on Nubia. But his dad is killed on a mission and at the same time his mom is diagnosed with some uncurable disease, and isn't given long to live.

After his mom dies I want a cousin of his dad's (Who will be a cannon Mando. Some one real respected.) to offer to take him in, But he takes his parents ship and runs away. He goes to Nar Shadda and while there his ship gets stolen. He has to make it on his own in the rough streets.

Other than that, I know I want his dad's cousin to find him, but he calls the streets of Nar Shadda "the ultimate battlefield" for a young Mandalorian. I was going have him turn into a thief, but I have since learned that that would probably be something the Mandalorians looked down on. So I am thinking maybe some type of gangster like the Godfather. I am still unsure and still have a lot of planning to do before I do any writting. Let me know what y'all think.

14. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    [face_thinking] Sounds quite well worked out, so far. I like the backstory.

Oh, and I think I told you that it depends on the Mando's character if he acts more "good or bad". Someone with his background, even after having received his verd'goten and being an adult my Mando reckoning (if he's already 13), has nothing more to lose, and probably is rather prone to go underworldish, especially if stranded on Nar Shaddaa.

Going thief might work, actually, and it kinda reminds me of the guy Vin Diesel plays in "Knockaround Guys", who says after growing up on the streets, brawling through, trying to survive, he can consider himself a "tough guy". (here's the quote: "
    Taylor: "500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are. ")

As for his "uncle" (I'll just call him that, I know he isn't), the canon character, I'm not so sure. I need to know what era this is set in, if it's New Republic or post that, then we have enough canon Mandos to choose from. (Goran Beviin, to boot. Or maybe Ram Zerimar, although I wouldn't use him, because he's actually Ray Ramirez. Dala and Shysa are probably dead by then, so you might use Vevut from Bloodlines.)

To sum it all up, the kid you're talking about could nearly be one of my OCs, Gladus Tite. Although he lost his parents way earlier and became something far more ruthless than just a simple thug. Since I want to keep his real backstory a mystery, though, I won't expand that topic...^^

15. CodyMonKenobi

Jan 29, 2001
    Oops, I was actually going to post this in the before forum. It is going to be probably 10-20 years before TPM. As far as his cousin goes, I was thinking maybe Jaster Mereel or Kal Skirata. I really don't know much about either of them, other than what I read off of wookiepidedia, but they would have very minor roles, so I don't think it will be much of a problem. I don't want this guy to be really bad. He gets in with the wrong crowd for a bit, and then I want him to stop his "gang" from robbing a business. The owners in turn ask for his help, he begins earning cash and favors. He is still a gangster per se, but he takes care of the people in his territory and ends up growing in power.

16. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Nevermind, I was just thinking that because that's my favorite era.... [face_blush]

Pre-TPM would work fine, too. There are enough Mandos in that era... Myles, Silas, Montross, Vizsla, Ghez Hokan, Cort Davin, Rav Bralor, Walon Vau.... even Fenn Shysa and Tobbi Dala would work, then.

So your OC's gonna be a big mob boss, eh? Better have him watch out for the Hutts, who control the business. A new outfits that comes into town is rarely welcomed with open arms. ;)

17. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    I've got a new discussion topic, one that could also work for the challenge:

DISCUSSION TOPIC (4/2/07): In A Practical Man, Mandalore Boba Fett met with a Jedi Kubareit, who asked him if he remembered the Cuy'val Dar of old. Here's a quote from the wookiee: "Before he left, Kubariet asked if Fett would spare a few of his best commandos to act as a kind of new Cuy'val Dar to train planetary militias to fight the Vong." Now, what do you think... did he send some of his men to do that job? Do you think he didn't, because it might show the Vong that he is involved with the GA?

And in any case, maybe this would also work as a plot bunny for the challenge - there's topic on the Cuy'val Dar; let's broaden this topic so you write an NJO-era Mando who trains a bunch of GA special forces. You can also combine that with the topic "A choice not their own."

Now gather round, people, tell me your thoughts!

18. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    [face_tired] Hell-ooo-hooo.... anybody there? *wave*

[face_tired]

C'mon guys, let's get this thing rolling again. Unless you're all busy writing your entries, of course - in this case I'll have nothing against waiting. :D[face_whistling]

Everyone check out the latest version of the Mando'a dictionary, updated a few days ago:
    http://karentraviss.com/html/cont_newmandoa.htm

19. browwiw

Jan 10, 2007
    Hrmm, it would be fairly interesting --not to mention ironic-- if the new Cuy'val Dar trained the new generation of Antarian Rangers. The Rangers did make a come back during the whole 'Great River' thing.

And a random thought: wouldn't it be funny if a lot of Mandos tried to claim they were descended from ARC troopers or Clone Commandos? Kind of like how every pasty white redneck here in the South claims they have an 'Indian Princess' ancestor. This came to me when I was brainstorming an LotF era OC that was the grandchild of an ARC trooper, and then realized just how humorously unlikely that would be.

I'd still like to know what became of Jangotat's child, though.

20. Roain_Xantos

Jan 21, 2005
    Hey! My 8th-great grandfather was a Cherokee chief. :p

I like the idea of having a few clone grandchildren running around the galaxy. lol.

~*Roain <><

21. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    By Kyle's Beard, this would be too awesome. =P~[face_hypnotized]

[face_thinking] Interesting thought, but most Mandos rather dispised clones... Kal Skirata was probably one of the few who really "liked" clones. For most Mandos though, clones were dar'manda, I think. Nevertheless, there is indeed the chance that some Mandos are fond of their clone "vode", and maybe like to boast about being related to great Boba and Jango Fett. :p

Yes, would be thrilling, but I doubt we'd be seeing more of that.

A general thing... might I ask the progress of the few who are writing entires? It's two weeks from now, and if you think you need more time than that, please tell me. [face_wink] Don't take this deadlin thing all too serious. [face_happy]

22. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    My story is going ok....it might turn into a three part thing...i don't know yet. As for the deadline...I tend to take deadlines VERY, VERY, VERY seriously.

23. browwiw

Jan 10, 2007
    I have a feeling that whatever gets posted in response to the challenge will have been written the night before.

24. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    As long as you don't end up hanging by a rope with your neck broken if you don't manage to get this to the deadline, you can take it as dead serious as you want. :)

If have that feeling, too... [face_worried]

7 nights to go, people...

25. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005

[b][hl=#00dd00][color=#dd0000]'Tis the day! Ternight the [i]heads[/i] are rollin'! [face_skull] [face_devil] [/color][/hl][/b][hr][/blockquote]

If anyone needs more time, please tell me - if you don't manage to sumbit by tomorrow morning, don't you worry, we're not that strict, but at least submit within the next five days, please.

The way I see it, we got only 3 entries anyway, right? [face_worried] [b]ale[/b], [b]browwiw[/b] and [b]Garak[/b]?

And there I was hoping for more...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.