All members please read

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by hyperspace_police, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hyperspace_police FanForce CR Arkansas US

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Hey guys...

I've been thinking for awhile... and just want to get the following off of my chest...

This club has gotten kind of non active... and I'm not talking about events here... we haven't gotten together or anything...

I know that the last election caused some hurt feelings and everybody is busy and all... but, this is not my club... (and it's not Nyborg's)

It belongs to all of us and it can't grow or even survive without everybody.

I'm not saying that we all need to be post hoes... or even post at all... but, some activity would be good.

Thing is... I got involved more with 501st events and such and just kind of let the fan force go... I'm sorry for that... but, I don't feel that
    it is my sole responsibility to keep this active either.

We've picked up some new folks who are interested in doing stuff with us...

So, can we get a bit of pitching it with some ideas of what you guys would like to do and where you would like for us to go as a group?

I don't want to be constantly scheduling stuff and such and seeming like I am the all powerful authority or anything like that and if I have come
    across like that to anyone then I am very sorry.

Can we kind of try and get a new start with the new year coming an all...

You know, put the past behind us and grow as a group. If we don't and don't pick it up a little bit then it's going to turn into the 501st or some other
    group that is the only one folks know about or see in the state... Lets not let that happen. Not everyone wants to be in the 501st or can afford a costume
    that will get them in there.

Lets make a place for the rest of the fans.

Thanks for reading.

BJ
  2. Jaira Jedi Master

star 4
    That's exactly why I proposed the meeting next month. It's almost like there is no group right now. We need to get crackin'.
  3. otisdodge Jedi Master

star 4
    Amen.

I really am going to get back into this at some point. I'll never be as SW busy as I have been in the past, but it will fit in somehow. I'm just looking for balance.

I want to have a game night and/or a movie night sometime soon. My backyard is still a construction zone, but maybe at my folks place again...

I want to do a mini-Con--something Toy Swap/Sale oriented. I'm thinking of asking my boss if we could hold something like that here at the studio.
  4. StarkRhavyn Jedi Master

star 3
    Yeah, I'm not really into costuming or con-ing. That's why I've never really been active here.
    But get-togethers, gaming nights, toy swap/sales all sound like fun.
  5. hyperspace_police FanForce CR Arkansas US

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    That would be part of the point of this group.

We do some costuming...but it's not our main thing or a requirement for being a member, like with the 501st or Rebel Legion...

The purpose is a palce for those who like to do some cotuming and something for the folks who costuming is not their thing..

So, look for a bit more hanging out and such...

Thanks for the input.

Bacon
  6. Jaira Jedi Master

star 4
    Absolutely. The way I see it:

From the FanForce rulebook:

3) FanForce is not a costuming group
    Fan Force is intended to be primarily a social group. While costumers can be a part of any Fan Force, costumes are not, nor will they ever be, required to join a FanForce or hold an officer position in the club. There are other groups where having a movie accurate costume is a requirement for official membership. This is not the case in Fan Force. Anyone is welcome, costume or not.

Some successful and active FFs around the globe have active costume aspects of their group, but do maintain a balance of events. Also, if a FF attends a costumed event, non-costumed fans and members must be allowed to attend and participate.

So let's get back to the fun.[face_dancing]
  7. hyperspace_police FanForce CR Arkansas US

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Can I have an "amen"[face_praying]

Like Jaira said...

And don't think that a meeting/get together/hang out time has to be some all day shin-dig at somebodies house.
    That's what restaruants and book stores and theme parks are all about.

So, please, if you've been quiet in the past...

Come back. Changes are in the works to get us back on track and having fun in the galazy far, far away...

Thank you.
  8. WeyrleaderZor Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'd like to chime in that in the time I've been around the group has done little to nothing that wasn't costuming (or somehow costuming-related) and NO OFFICIAL meeting/event (aside from the holiday get-together and the social get-together WE hosted) has ever been anything but a costuming event.

There are some people in the group that are only interested in costuming - which is fine. But to say it's a "part of the point of this group" and that "it's not our main thing" would be a little mis-representing the recent history of the group (and from what I've read in back-posts, even less recent history as well).

I would love to see this group change from being a 99% costuming group to become a real fan force group in which members take part in costuming events as members of the various groups that exist for this purpose (501st, Rebel Legion, Jedi Assembly, etc.).

9. hyperspace_police FanForce CR Arkansas US

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    That would be the point to get away from that... Still have Fan Force invited to "events" that would require costume
    but, to have more of a "hang out" with each other at various places... Sit around and play some games... Maybe even
    do some Star Wars RPG gaming or something... And it doesn't always have to be Star Wars... Try and incorporate the other
    sci-fi realms we're mostly all addicted to as well..

Hence the whole direction needs to change etc...

Any help we can get with this would be totally cool and completely welcomed.

What has gone on in the past (or even recently) does not have to be the norm. The past is the past and I'm hoping that those
    with hard feelings and things that went on can be put behind us and we can move forward as a Fan Force...
    Jaira stepped up with her Coffee shop get together... and then the thing on the 10th came up by suggestion from a non-active Fan Force person...

So, hopefully some of you can make it out for one of those and get in on the planning for the directional change that I hope we can move forward with.

That is not to say that costuming will be completely cut out cause some of our members have costumes that would not be accepted and like to participate in events...But, that it will be just one of the things announced as something to do but will probably be in conjunction with 501st or Rebel Legion...

Thanks for pointing that out as it gave oppourtunity to express the desire for change.

10. nlrtrooper Jedi Knight

I would love to see some sort of bi-monthly meeting just for everyone to get together. Could be a house for games and such or a restaurant just for fellowship. Then maybe twice a year get a free room at one of the local libraries for a "Toy Day", where people can buy,sell,trade, or just show what they have and talk about collecting. Heck those who are the big readers could have a Star Wars "Book Club" together. The point is we just need to be more consistent and get everyone involved, not just the costumers.
  11. solo71 Jedi Knight

star 1
    This would be a good time for me to ask some quetions. I stumbled into this world at the begining of the summer, because I was depressed at having to miss CIV, and was looking for an outlet for the Star Wars monkey that has been on my back since 1977. A couple of you I have met, one or two I've talked to online, but by and large, I have no idea of the "rules of engagment" for this group. These recent posts have helped a little, in that I do not costume and had wondered if that was a requirment. Though I would like to costume at some point, it is a relief for now to see that it is not necessary.

I've been fortunate enough to meet Nyborg, Hyperspace, and a few others. Everybody has been really nice. Nyborg has invited me to hang out a few times, and unfortunaly, I've had to bail out every time. My apologies for that. It is hard for me to make plans with my crazy work schedule and family obligations. But if I have not burned any bridges, I'd like to try again to meet you guys, and find out more about the Fan Force. I guess my main question would be as to the requirments. I may not be available for every gathering, but would like to try.

12. WeyrleaderZor Jedi Knight

star 1
    I doubt you've "burned any bridges" with our group, it takes more than a busy life with responsibilities aside from hobbies and hanging out with fellow geeks to ruffle feathers with us. ^_^ I hope to get to meet you in person sometime and get to know you some more, after all you can never know too many good Star Wars fans, eh? ;)
  13. hyperspace_police FanForce CR Arkansas US

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Solo71: There aren't any requirements. Thats the point of this thread. To apologize for my
    part in the direction that we have or haven't gone. And to try and get folks involved again. You
    don't need anything for this group besides a love for Star Wars or even just Science Fiction in
    general. Look for better options for get togethers. No bridges burned man. (And soemday we'll
    have you looking like Obi Wan...darn Darth Real Life). But, we understand everybody has jobs and
    wonky schedules.

wreyleader and nlrtrooperGood to see imput from you guys again. Any suggestions you've got like
    that throw them out there. I'm currently looking for the equipment so we can start doing some rifftrax...
    (A little something the Dallas Fan Force introduced me to over the weekend)

So, yes, if you have a costume and want to do some of that sort of stuff...we have a place for you.
    If you don't have one but like hanging out and playing games or just visiting and such...we have a place foryou.
    If you are a cave troll, hobbit, or hermit and don't want to get out of you cave and just want to be a part
    of an on-line social group...bear with us...soon we'll have a website with forums we can manage better than these for you...

This is an attempt to get back on track. We went a year and didn't hardly do anything about getting together and
    just hanging out with each other and did nothing about it but make excuses...(And I'm not pointing fingers here...
    I'm just as guilty as the next person)

But, check in over the next few weeks. Ignore the old by-laws for the time being. I think we need a change in
    structure and to get back to just having FUN!!

Be prepared to give imput. And check the "This is my wonky work schedule" thread to be coming soon so we can plan
    some important meetings (the ones where we try and change a few things) where everyone can participate.

Thanks again.

Bacon
  14. WeyrleaderZor Jedi Knight

star 1
    We've basically had the same input all along, guess there's something for being consistent. :) And to save on typing you can just use "Zor" to address me if you want, it is a little faster to type out. ;)

And as for "riffing" some B movies... Tom Servo and Crow T. Robot don't have the charm of R2-D2 and C-3P0 (IMHO). ;)
  15. hyperspace_police FanForce CR Arkansas US

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    They don't just "riff" b-movies... There's much much more now...

In the spring of this year we did have one gathering at Firehouse Grill but after that it tapered off...

And that is part of the problem. We are lacking people coming forward like Jaira did with suggestions of
    "Lets get together and whatever..." It's everybody's group and we got away from that.

I can remeber sitting around at otisdodge's house two years ago (before we even had elections) and us
    complaining of not getting together on a more regular basis just to have fun.

In prior summers he has hosted "movie nights" and such at his home, but has spend the year with job obligations
    and a new baby to break into his routine.

I would have more folks out to my place, but it's far out and my home is very small.

Kynstar has offered their new home as a place where we can meet for stuff...
    Nyborg has hosted many times and Jaira doesn't mind hosting but signing on lots of folks is a hassle and you guys hosted
    once...So, we have been having hosting issues and such...

Again, I'm not making excuses...It's just the turn things made.

This is everybody who is a member's club.

We have many things in the works and we're trying to regroup and make this all fun again.

I will say once more that I am sorry for how things have gone in the past (though the fault does not lie with me alone) but, I'm big enough to admit that I had a part in it and that I would like to see things change.

So, please if you have suggestions for how we can make them better, please post them in the "Fan Force Suggestions" thread...
    and if everyone could pm me their work schedules or post them in "My Wonky schedule" so we can try and figure out the best time to get together and discuss change...

Thanks so much for the imput...Everyone needs to take an active a role as they can so we can get past this slump and move on.

A note to our costumers: Regarding your pm's and emails: We are not phasing out costuming and will work in conjunction with 501st and Rebel Legion events and continue to participate in Bowling for Kids and Susan Komen race (which I apologize for not getting organized soon enough this year) in the future... And will make sure that Fan Force folks know about the events going on where you can get your costuming "fix". We are making an effort to make sure that we get togther for fun as well as to sweat to death and get stinky in costumes with poor ventilation.

Thanks again
  16. WeyrleaderZor Jedi Knight

star 1
    That's what the 501st, Jedi Assembly, and Rebel Legion are there for - to do the costumed events like this... We, as FanForce members, can let people know about them and since many of the group are members in these (and other) groups that do costumed events I am sure we'll see a lot of our members at these events - remember the membership in one group doesn't override or require membership (or non-membership) in any other group. And since the groups are all related (there's a common theme between them all... I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's got something to do with lightsabers and space battles and cool (and not-so-cool) aliens and all that nifty blaster fire battles...) *g* ;)
  17. hyperspace_police FanForce CR Arkansas US

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I think I confused some...
    We are not planning on quitting Fan Force sponsored costuming events... Just that they won't be the ONLY thing
    that we do...

Some of our members (and founders at that) don't have costumes that fit into the other groups or the money to
    make their costume accecptable to those clubs standards...so, they will always be welcomed at the other groups
    events as they all tie in together anyways...but, we will still participate in those mentioned above as
    Fan Force.

Just to clarify. We aren't removing the costuming part of Fan Force or seperating it from AGR...It's just as
    much part of it as it has been or originally was...Just that it's not going to be our only focus or activity.

Some of the members don't want to see the costuming element disappear so, I'm just trying to make it clear that
    we are both and that a costume is not required, but if thats your thing (and you don't have a costume that is canon and
    will get you into one of the other groups...) then you have as much place here as the folks who just want to hang
    out...

And the other poing I'm trying to make is that it has just gotten bogged down by "technicalities" and we're trying to
    move away from that and just have some fun.
  18. Jaira Jedi Master

star 4
    To me, costuming can be a part of the Star Wars experience. I am one of those who doesn't want to join another group, but I would like to throw one on for certain event here or there once in a while. I agree it should in no way be the focus or dominating theme (read the rule above), but if some of us want to sit around and work on costumes while others are rpg'ing, I see nothing wrong with that. :)
  19. hyperspace_police FanForce CR Arkansas US

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I had it expressed to me earlier that Costuming is just another arm of the Star Wars
    stuff we as a fan force have people who are interested in participating in.

They have just as much reason to want to have costuming to be a part of our group as
    others who just want to hang out have. Kind of the idea of something for everyone.

That way nobody is left out just because they are only interested in books or toys or
    whatever they are interested in.

20. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    As hyperspace said, our 2nd floor has a huge room that doesn't have too much in it that can be used to do things and/or have meetings at. We have lots of plug ins (It used to be an office type room) so we could do even costume making/fixing in it :) We live in Jacksonville so it isn't too far from those who live in the NLR and Sherwood areas :) And very easy to get too (for directions PM me :) )

Now that the 'hospital' chaos is over and I started back to work, I'm hoping to be able to attend things and get back in the groove, though I won't be able to do as much as before (unless I can get a babysitter or if Ramon will want to watch her, though it wouldn't be fair for him to miss out; but some things the 3 of us can do with AGR which will be great :) :))

My son will be 13 next year and has been really interested in the FanForce and can't wait to become a member.

I do hope we can 'clan' together like the old days :) I miss doing the 'hanging out' and eating out together!

edit: Juz so folks know that costuming isn't the only thing that can be done in the 'large room' but board games, meetings, and juz hanging out. It doesn't have to even be Star Wars related even :D
  21. hyperspace_police FanForce CR Arkansas US

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Thanks for the offer of using your space Kynstar...
  22. otisdodge Jedi Master

star 4
    I know that some of this has been said, but just to defend the "less recent history" of the club--during our first year or so, there were plenty of non costume activities--more than half at least, I think. Game nights and Movie Nights and just hang out times. The Black Friday tradition was one of the first official activities of this club. In the summer of 05 we had a Movie Night just about every month from April to November, I think.

My suggestion is this: If you want to have more activities that aren't costume concentrated, PLAN ONE. It's not up to Bacon and Henry to come up with everything. Bravo to them for keeping this club going when there has been precious little support. Bravo to Sharon to planning something on her own. As for everyone else, just chip in and make your ideas happen.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.