main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST All Movie Classics Ideas Lucas Could Borrow From?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ObiSpamBaloney, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiSpamBaloney

ObiSpamBaloney Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 12, 2014
    OK, making one more thread to help out folks who want to have an idea of what to expect in the sequels. As we all know George Lucas is a big fan of the classic movies, and has blended a lot of ideas together to come up with the original and prequel triology. Hidden Fortress greatly influenced A New Hope. Darth Vader and Frankenstein. Etc. What OTHER MOVIES or HISTORICAL EVENTS is George Lucas a fan of, that have YET to be borrowed and explored, that could be used to influence the new movies?

In the Indiana Jones movies we see Lucas exploring the Nazi stuff. Already we see a lot of that stuff in the films. One side of it that we have YET to see is the whole WEIRD EXPERIMENTS they conducted.

Another idea perhaps might be PEARL HARBOUR - a day that will forever live in infamy. Maybe there could be some sneak attack or terrorist plot used to disrupt things in the sequel trilogy, just when everyone thought it was safe. Dark Kamikaze, etc.

Hope this makes sense.

Basically looking for a list of likely influential movies and historical themes that George could still borrow from. Things clearly in the realm of what he has stated he is a fan of. Or a continuation of historical events, that he's only begun to scratch the surface on.

One last idea that came to mind that he's explored is the "Order 66" which seems like possibly a vague reference to the number of the beast 666 in the bible and whole antichrist theme. After those events in the bible is a 1000 year millennial reign of peace, before a final battle with the devil whose dark forces are released for one final battle. Something of that kind of sequence might be a future idea to explore. Or maybe that's already happened in the prequel triolgies, since the jedi already did have a time of peace for a millenia.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Ernest Goes To Jail!

Dra--- likes this.
  3. Boba_Fat83

Boba_Fat83 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    Ernest Goes To Camp!

Dra--- likes this.
  4. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Ernest Saves Christmas!

Dra--- likes this.
  5. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    how about Debbie and Dallas?

Dra--- and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    What's wrong with you T-R- you didn't know another Ernest movie?!! [face_not_talking]:p

7. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    sorry sorry sorry

Ernest Scared Stupid

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I think we already have a thread about historical influence, but I like that you're asking us here about movie influences.

One film geeks are probably hoping for is Kurosawa's Yojimbo:

Wiki:

Which was eventually remade into A Fistful of Dollars.

This probably works better as a spin off idea, but I can still see it being used for a sequence or two in the ST. In fact, it would have worked well in TPM on Tatooine.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Darn it Dra--- you had to go all serious on us! :p Just kidding. Sorry to the OP for starting all the silliness. This is actually a really cool idea for a thread. There are a lot of movies that Star Wars can take inspiration from but IMO the most important movies the ST can take a cue from like the PT did is Star Wars itself. Star Wars is obviously at a point where it's inspiration for other movies and so my answer is SW should take inspiration from SW mostly.

Mystery Roach, T-R- and Dra--- like this.
  10. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Sorry, Chiz, but I've been waiting for a thread like this.

Also, what about Metropolis and an evil sexy robot?

[​IMG]

11. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Hel was already the inspiration for C-3PO.

Immortiss, Dewback, Dra--- and 2 others like this.
  12. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    In all seriousness I don't think Lucas is going to have much to do with these new movies (if anything), especially after Arndt walked. They'll proably be based very, VERY loosely on the treatment he submitted, but in the end this will be Abrams and Kasdan's baby through and through.

Dewback likes this.
  13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    three musketeers

Sarge and Mystery Roach like this.
  14. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    If you watch the Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers serials, there are a LOT of elements that show up in the SW movies. It goes way beyond just the format. Many very specific references and reprisals of ideas from those. I expect we'll get some more in the ST.

Immortiss, Dra---, T-R- and 1 other person like this.
  15. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    But 3-PO isn't sexy.

16. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Not to you maybe.

Immortiss, LunarMoth, Dra--- and 2 others like this.
  17. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    When you get time, can you name a few of these? Love to know...

18. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Moore's Battlestar Galactica.

19. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    The Snake Pit

Dra--- likes this.
  20. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004

Sure but it could take a while. I can only think of a couple off the top of my head but I remember noticing a lot when I was watching them so I'd like to see them again and refresh my memory before making a list. I just don't have a lot of time for that at the moment. A couple that were actually mentioned in the audio commentaries were the Geonosians coming out of the walls like the Clay People in Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars and an exact replication of the look and sound of the Buck Rogers viewscreens on the Trade Federation ship in TPM.

Also, I loved the homage to Harryhausen in AOTC and I hope we get more of that at some point as well.

21. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

I absolutely loved BSG, but I'm not sure I can really see it working as an inspiration for something in the Star Wars universe. Well, actually, maybe
    something akin to the 'angel' concept in relation to the Force, now that I think about it.
    Kind of similarly, I'd love to see some 2001: A Space Odyssey meets Dagobah Cave influence if we (hopefully) delve deeper into the Force.

Going outside of science fiction, however, I'd love to see more western/samurai film archetypes embraced. Also, Apocalypse Now. There's so much underlying stuff in that film that could work fantastically in the Star Wars galaxy.

Dra--- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.